Forums  
  Discussion  
    Tim's Web Quiz  
    Tim's Web Puzzles  
  Polls - Freshwater  
  Polls - Saltwater  

Go Back   Tropical Fish Forum . Net > General Aquarium Care > Lighting and Heaters

Lighting and Heaters Questions and comments about freshwater aquarium lighting and heaters.

Old 10-08-2008, 03:03 PM

Default where can I get bulbs?

I am trying to find 20 watt flouresant bulbs (15 inches long) for a ten gallon tank hood to give me the two watts per gallon ratio for plant growth (this tank does get natural light during the day), and also 40 watt bulbs (18 inches long) for a 20 gallon tank hood. All I seem to be finding in these size ranges are 15 watt for the 18 inch long bulbs (even the bulbs made for keeping reptiles and amphibians aren't any more watts than what I am finding for fish).

Thanks,
Dave
Old 10-08-2008, 03:31 PM

Default Re: where can I get bulbs?

Dave if I get you well , you want use your existing fixture and put higher tube in it , if so here the bad news :

when you put a higher wattage tube, you need to make sure the ballast will support it, I may be wrong but I never see a 18 40 watts tube, what you need is go with more expensive tube like VHO, with the expensive ballast than go with it , or add more tube, again resulting in changing the ballast. You have also the compact tube fixture. But even the smallest one will give you 65 W

But all those solution will cost a lot of $$$$$.
Old 10-08-2008, 03:55 PM

well shoot, was hoping for an inexpensive solution. For the tank hood on my other 10 gallon tank it is incandesant so I just upped the wattage of the white bulb (I run a regulare incandesant blue bulb and a flouresant white bulb in that hood).

Around here it is hard to find the nicer tank light fixtures.... heck it is sometimes hard to find the regular light fixtures.

The two ten gallon tanks get ambiant natural light during the day due to their proximity to a window close by to them. We keep the curtains open on this window during the day. But the 20 gallon tank is in a spot where even if I open the bedroom window blinds in my room it may or may not get adequate lighting for plants. Maybe if I just make sure the bulb in that hood is a full spectrum bulb I will have enough light or the right type of light to grow some live plants.

Dave

Last edited by D.Gray : 10-08-2008 at 03:59 PM.
Old 10-08-2008, 04:16 PM

So you have 2 x 10 gal, what I use in my fish room is a double tube shop light over the 2 x 10 gal tank. it's not very beautiful, but hey you can make a hood to hide the structure, the only problem, the 2 tank have to be side by side, this solution will cost you 20 $ for the shop light and 10 $ for 2 tube, a gro lux and a daylight ( my recommendation)
Old 10-12-2008, 05:31 AM

I have seen U shaped flourscents in Wallmart. I did not look closely, so I don't know the actual length or wattage.
Old 10-12-2008, 02:55 PM

I spent a little extra and got two 18 inch bulbs for the two flouresent hoods: one Coralife 50/50 (on the 20 gallon tank) and one bulb for keeping reptiles that also is for promoting plant growth on the other tank (10 gallon), the other ten gallon tank has a 25 watt blue incandescent bulb and a 15 watt white flourescent (the kind that screw into an incandescant fixture).

The plants in the 10 gallon tank with the incandescant bulb are looking great (amazon sword, wisteria, and I think balansae) these also get indirect natural light through the day as we keep the bedroom window shades open during the day and the window is on the west side of the house. The plants in the other 10 gallon tank have perked up since I put the bulb for reptiles in that tank hood, and it also gets indirect light (just a little less than the other 10 gallon tank as it is on the same wall of the room but on the other side of the window and gets a little less light). I have only a start of wisteria in the 20 gallon tank with the coralife 50/50 bulb and it seems to have perked up, this tank doesn't get alot of ambient natural light as there is a tree shading that bedroom window (east side of the house) and we don't usually open the blinds in there.

But I am definately interested in ideas incase this doesn't work well.

Dave
Old 10-12-2008, 03:07 PM

Dave, the thought comes to mind that the depth of a tank will also govern wether a high wattage is necessary. I can't remember where I read that, but researching it might give you some food for thought.
Old 10-12-2008, 03:51 PM

Great! These are standard sized tanks 12 inch depth for the 10 gallon tanks and the 20 gallon is 17 inches deep.

Dave