Forums  
  Discussion  
    Tim's Web Quiz  
    Tim's Web Puzzles  
  Polls - Freshwater  
  Polls - Saltwater  

Go Back   Tropical Fish Forum . Net > General Aquarium Care > DIY (Do It Yourself)

DIY (Do It Yourself) Provide ideas for building your own equipment, tanks and decorations

Old 10-08-2008, 03:09 PM

Default Tank Vacuum idea

I got a hair brained Idea to make a powered tank vacuum using a powerhead for its main power source. I was thinking add a flexible hose to the powerhead intake securing said hose with a hose clamp ($0.25 at the local hardware or auto parts store), then take the water diffuser off of the power head and you could either just hold the power head in your hand over a bucket to catch the expelled water or you could add another hose to the output side of the power head. This would probably speed up the vacuuming or water syphoning for water changes.

The only drawback I see to this is that the powerhead won't let any real big particles through that you might be trying to get like dead plant matter, but it would allow any algae, most dirt, and uneaten food through.

I may have to try this and see if it works using a 180 Gallon per hour rate of flow powerhead ($20.00 at Wally world AKA Wal-Mart).

Dave
Old 10-08-2008, 03:36 PM

Default Re: Tank Vacuum idea

Dave you have to not forget than a power head is not a sell priming pump, it have to be in the tank, it will not siphon water from a tube if the impeller is not in water. The head pressure is also week, I can not raise the water of 4 feet with a system like you describe. I try your idea before it in my 200 storage gallon for fill my tank. And with a 70 $ power head than I have in hand, it result than I purchase a 150 $ self priming pump at the local hardware.

Old 10-08-2008, 03:51 PM

The solution to that would be to have enough water in a bucket to prime the power head (laying the powerhead under the water in the bucket) and run two lines (one intake, and one output) making sure the intake line is flexible so you can run it around on the bottom of the tank.

Dave
Old 10-08-2008, 04:25 PM

So why not just use the old mouth priming method, in case of over priming, at least you can taste the stuf you force your fish to live in .
Old 10-08-2008, 04:29 PM

that's how I get the tank vacuum to work now ( the old tube style vacuum with no power from the sink or other sources). Tastes mmm mmm good . Actually I have gotten good enough to get the hose in the bucket before the water gets to my mouth.

Dave
Old 10-08-2008, 06:33 PM

I should hope so!!! It can't be healthy to get tank water in the mouth...

5 gal... Robin, (Betta)
5 gal...Pete, (Betta)
5 gal...Scotty(Betta)
10 gal...Female Betta Sororiety
10 gal... Neons, Glolights and Cardinals, 1 Oto
10 gal... Ram Pair
29 gal... Mbuna Tank
29 gal... Krib Pair, Tiger Barbs, Tetras, 2 Otos
55 gal...5 Australian Rainbows, 1 Angel Fish, 1 Blue Gourami, 6 Congo Tetras, 1 Leopard Ctenopoma, 1 Clown Pleco, 1 UpsideDown Catfish,5 Otos, 1 Bronze Cory, 2 Peppered Cories,2 Panda Cories
Old 10-08-2008, 07:03 PM

Fish tank water isn't really unhealthy for you, no different than swimming in a pond, lake, or river and swallowing a mouthful ( at least fish tank water doesn't have crypto, giardia or other nasty bacteria to people). Now getting a mouthful of Auto radiator fluid (Anti-freeze mixed with the water 50/50 mix) is a real treat..... ick I can almost still taste it.

[/thread drift] had a vehicle which I had the mechanics put a new set of heads, one of the heads was cracked and nobody noticed so the overflow for the radiator would fill up and not syphon back in to the radiator and I had to syphon it by mouth into a jug and put it back into the radiator to continue my journey home one winter's eve. I no longer have that vehicle and the mechanic put a new set of heads on it for free [thread drift off/]

Dave
Old 10-08-2008, 07:19 PM

Well, I'll just take your word for that...and continue keeping my mouth away from all hoses!

5 gal... Robin, (Betta)
5 gal...Pete, (Betta)
5 gal...Scotty(Betta)
10 gal...Female Betta Sororiety
10 gal... Neons, Glolights and Cardinals, 1 Oto
10 gal... Ram Pair
29 gal... Mbuna Tank
29 gal... Krib Pair, Tiger Barbs, Tetras, 2 Otos
55 gal...5 Australian Rainbows, 1 Angel Fish, 1 Blue Gourami, 6 Congo Tetras, 1 Leopard Ctenopoma, 1 Clown Pleco, 1 UpsideDown Catfish,5 Otos, 1 Bronze Cory, 2 Peppered Cories,2 Panda Cories
Old 10-08-2008, 07:22 PM

I also use the mouth method and I am pleased to report that I have it off to a t now and judge it just right .

Actually, my husband came up with a good idea. He suggested that I use the tool that was designed to clean the car. It works a treat and the filter which originally went into the bucket of water to prevent abrasive particles going through and scratching the car, now goes into the tank. So it kinda works in reverse. I have removed the brush and that end of the tube now goes into a bucket. I am going to attach the little filter on a longer bit of hose and empty my tanks straight out onto the garden in future without fear of sucking up a fish or plant.

I no longer gravel clean, but just agitate the sand. If I use anything deeper, this just disturbs my JBL balls of fertiliser and I end up with a kinda of fish soup.

jellygirl