Forums  
  Discussion  
    Tim's Web Quiz  
    Tim's Web Puzzles  
  Polls - Freshwater  
  Polls - Saltwater  

Go Back   Tropical Fish Forum . Net > Freshwater Tropical Fish Discussion > Tropical Fish Compatibility

Tropical Fish Compatibility Questions and comments about compatibility

Old 10-14-2008, 08:46 PM

Default What fish in a 190L Juwel Trigon?

I have recently bought a Juwel Trigon 190L and am wondering what fish to stock

I am thinking about keeping 4 Discus in the tank and some other friends for them. What do you peeps think? What would you do? I wanna try something more adventurous than guppies and neons!

Any ideas/thoughts welcomed

Thanks
Old 10-14-2008, 09:00 PM

Smile Re: What fish in a 190L Juwel Trigon?

well i have a large discus with angelfish swordtails mollies platies plecs n catfish they all live n get on really well together
Old 10-14-2008, 09:17 PM

Default Re: What fish in a 190L Juwel Trigon?

Some people don't recommend tankmates for Discus at all. If you're having four, that may be enough for that tank. Maybe you could have a school of Cardinal Tetras, as water requirements are the same, and they won't put much strain on the water quality. Discus require really good water quality, and too many fish will make this difficult to achieve...

5 gal... Robin, (Betta)
5 gal...Pete, (Betta)
5 gal...Scotty(Betta)
10 gal...Female Betta Sororiety
10 gal... Neons, Glolights and Cardinals, 1 Oto
10 gal... Ram Pair
29 gal... Mbuna Tank
29 gal... Krib Pair, Tiger Barbs, Tetras, 2 Otos
55 gal...5 Australian Rainbows, 1 Angel Fish, 1 Blue Gourami, 6 Congo Tetras, 1 Leopard Ctenopoma, 1 Clown Pleco, 1 UpsideDown Catfish,5 Otos, 1 Bronze Cory, 2 Peppered Cories,2 Panda Cories
Old 10-16-2008, 06:52 PM

Hi,

I wouldn't recommend plecos with discus. You might get lucky and nothing will happen, but plecos love that discus slime coat, so they will likely harass your discus, specially at night when they will latch on to their sides while they're sleeping.

Also keep in mind that discus tend to be slower than most other fish when feeding, hence Sharon's advise about keeping discus in a species tank only. they also tend to be more susceptible to diseases that other fish such as angelfish, will easily tolerate.

As far as water requirements go, it really depends on the source of your discus, wild discus will definitely require more acidic water, but tank born/raised discus normally have better tolerance for neutral water (7.0). Water quality is paramount, nonetheless. More bioload = more tank pollution.

Australian Rainbowfish (specially the bicolor and neon types) are hardy, sociable and make for a very striking display. I would recommend them anytime.
Old 10-16-2008, 08:12 PM

Louphoenix, thanks for the reply
I was thinking of getting a pleco in the tank, but your post has me confused. All the pieces I have read in my research seems to point to plecos being compatible with Discus.
Do all plecos try to go for the Discus' slime coat or is it only particular types?
Thanks for opening my eyes to Rainbowfish, they are not a fish I had heard of in the past. I will have to think about it more
Old 10-16-2008, 08:32 PM

You're very welcome. Keeping any Plecos with Discus would be like playing Russian Roulette. As I said, you may get lucky with a young smaller one, but a pleco will become more aggressive (and hungrier) as it gets bigger... one day it will notice your discus and chances are it will not be pretty. All fish are invaluable in my opinion, but would you really want to risk damaging/killing your expensive discus? I know I wouldn't.

I definitely encourage you to google images of the bicolor rainbowfish, they are marvelous fish!

Last edited by louphoenix : 10-16-2008 at 08:37 PM.
Old 10-17-2008, 05:24 AM

Ok Plecos are now crossed off my list, lol

After looking at pics of Rainbowfish though I am still not sold on them, I think I need to see them in real life. I will have a look.
Old 10-17-2008, 05:55 AM

Yeah, they definitely need to be seen in person..

A big old school of cardinal tetras also make a great display. With good lights it is awesome to see them constantly schooling up...
Old 10-17-2008, 10:37 AM

I think you might be surprised at how stunning a large school of Cardinals will be, with the Discus!!!

I have Rainbows and Congo Tetras...They are very aggressive feeders, and tend to gobble food, before others can get it. I don't have experience with Discus, but have read that they can be shy feeders. That may be something to consider....

5 gal... Robin, (Betta)
5 gal...Pete, (Betta)
5 gal...Scotty(Betta)
10 gal...Female Betta Sororiety
10 gal... Neons, Glolights and Cardinals, 1 Oto
10 gal... Ram Pair
29 gal... Mbuna Tank
29 gal... Krib Pair, Tiger Barbs, Tetras, 2 Otos
55 gal...5 Australian Rainbows, 1 Angel Fish, 1 Blue Gourami, 6 Congo Tetras, 1 Leopard Ctenopoma, 1 Clown Pleco, 1 UpsideDown Catfish,5 Otos, 1 Bronze Cory, 2 Peppered Cories,2 Panda Cories

Last edited by Sharon : 10-17-2008 at 11:55 AM.
Old 10-19-2008, 07:55 PM

Just an update:

I have found a Discus breeder about 10 mins drive away. I have spoke to him on the phone and he seems like a wonderful older gentleman. Anyway he suggests me getting 6-7 young Discus about 2 1/2" in size and see how they go. If they all do well he will re-home some of them when they get larger.

What do you guys think?