Forums  
  Discussion  
    Tim's Web Quiz  
    Tim's Web Puzzles  
  Polls - Freshwater  
  Polls - Saltwater  

Go Back   Tropical Fish Forum . Net > Freshwater Tropical Fish Discussion > Tetras

Tetras Questions and comments about tetras

Old ,

Default Neon Tetras Being Silly at Feed Time!

My neons that I have had since July 2008 have always been timid but this takes the cake. After slowly getting them used to me feeding them, being patient with them, slightly over feeding so they will notice the foods, making sure food drops so they see the food. They started coming up for the food daily like all my fish do with no problems.

Then I made a change in the lighting because I read neons like dim light. I added a floor light between them and my other tank (I needed more light for extra hornwort in another tank) so they would have indirect light instead of direct light. Now they won't come up for food again! I am so frustrated as to why I have to convince a fish to eat! OK, should be easy to resolve. Turn on their direct tank light again..... Wait, No, it can't be this easy because the fish hobby is a challenge. I'm starting back at square one with them. Is this normal for neons? Maybe I need more neons to make them feel secure? The plan was to get more neons but I decided to wait to take a break from fish dying....................
10g- ramshorn & pond snails,3 neon tetras, cherry shrimp
10g- QT tank-empty
2.5- QT tank- nerita,amano,anacharis
TTF Album
TPF Gallery
Old ,

Default Re: Neon Tetras Being Silly at Feed Time!

I'd say you do need more...they're feeling insecure, as you only have three. I'd say four more, and you'll see a difference...

5 gal... Robin, (Betta)
5 gal...Pete, (Betta)
5 gal...Scotty(Betta)
10 gal...Female Betta Sororiety
10 gal... Neons, Glolights and Cardinals, 1 Oto
10 gal... Ram Pair
29 gal... Mbuna Tank
29 gal... Krib Pair, Tiger Barbs, Tetras, 2 Otos
55 gal...5 Australian Rainbows, 1 Angel Fish, 1 Blue Gourami, 6 Congo Tetras, 1 Leopard Ctenopoma, 1 Clown Pleco, 1 UpsideDown Catfish,5 Otos, 1 Bronze Cory, 2 Peppered Cories,2 Panda Cories
Old ,

More neons or perhaps cardnals are on my list. I have 6 free neons due to me from the 6 that died if they will still honor my receipt with the credit. I'm not sure I will return to that fish store because they treated me like crap telling me I had ammonia in my tank. She ran an ammonia test + all the other tests and placed the tubes on the dark blue counter saying I had ammonia. I told her to lift up the tube and look at it in the light and she would see it was yellow in color showing no ammonia. Duh! They really upset me. I had been a good customer spending hundreds of dollars in their store. They wern't happy with my one time return. This is the same store that sold me my betta who never was healthy. They had no concern when I told them how ill he was and nothing would cure him.

I turned on their tank light early today to spark them. I'll make sure I dunk some fish food to arouse them. I am very curious if anyone else has neons that are timid at feeding time?
10g- QT tank-empty
TTF Album
TPF Gallery
Old ,

when I decided to stock my 20 gallon tank my primary goal for that tank was shrimp, but I knew my wife wanted guppies. So I put in nine guppies and nine or 10 neons along with the six ghost shrimp.

It is a planted tank with java moss, dwarf hair grass, water wisteria, an arrow plant (underwater phillodendren looking plant), and Vallisneria and another plant (looks like a real thick grass that isn't too tall maybe four inches).

What I notice with the tetras is when I turn the light on in the morning they are dull in color and resting their bellies on the bottom of the tank, but then I feed them about five to ten minutes after the light has been on and they swim all over the tank getting the food. Yesterday I mashed up a couple canned peas and they went for that food as well as the algae wafer I put in for the shrimp or the flake I feed to them and the guppies.

I think if you were to add at least two more neons you would be ok as sometimes I have two schools of 4-5 neons and sometimes one school of 9 or 10.

Dave
Old ,

Wow! That fish store would tick me off too. How dumb is that reading the test against the dark blue counter? Takes a rocket scientist.

I have five Neons and they are not at all timid. They see me and up to the top they go waiting for their food. Nothing seems to bother them, not even when I first got them. The ones I have trouble with are the Black-Skirts. They hide all the time and sit and quiver when the light is on. I have had them for ages too. Weird.

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away."
Old ,

Thanks guys .

I had to push their food down for them today. They ate but would not go up to the top like normal. I think me adding that floor lamp has made them more timid at feeding time. I do want more fish! I need to be ready for them to go into QT.

fishlover your skirts are like my neons and my neons are like your skirts. That is odd. I plan on adding more fake plants into the neon tank. I have them. I just need to add them. They like a heavy planted tank. Dave I bet your fish love their tank. I also want to add more black gravel as I have read they like a dark substrate and I would like it too. Down the road when I upgrade the puffers, all my FW fish will get the puffers 55g tank. It will be planted and I will add the neons. I was very close to putting them in the 20g but it is fully stocked as it is (husband said it was a bad idea), so I will hold off even though I think they would prefer that tank.
10g- QT tank-empty
TTF Album
TPF Gallery
Old ,

stormy, if you go ahead and get some more neons from a fish store with healthy looking tanks and fish then float the bags for 30 minutes to acclimate to the tank temp you can take the bags out and put them in a container and cut the tops off leaving them open and add water from your tank slowly (1/2 cup per hour) until the water level in the bags is three times what it was from the fish store. then poor the bags through a fish net and deposit the netted fish into your tank and add fresh water and some stress coat. this way you won't be adding any potentially diseased water to your tank, you should be ok by not using a QT.

Dave
Old ,

I always QT all my aquarium life....even the snails (don't laugh to hard hehe). I know it is a pain but I wouldn't dare expose my healthy fish to anything on purpose. I've worked to hard to lose "my fish" from adding new fish from the fish store without QT. My husband & family worries about me sometimes.....because I am so stubborn and extra careful.

I put a small fortune into my QT so I could be careful.
10g- QT tank-empty
TTF Album
TPF Gallery
Old ,

My QT is ready but I had another fight with algae in my 20g. I thought I had blue/green slim algae (murder to get rid of). I panicked and read all I could on it. Asked for advice. Bought $80.00 worth of stuff to battle the BGA. Turned out it was something else. I have not ID'd the algae but I removed it and it has stayed gone (wasted money!). I need a break from any sort of a challenge at this point and time. I'm sure I will be ready to get more neons or cardnals in a week or two. Unless something else happens. fate so far has stopped me from getting more neons for the 10g......
10g- QT tank-empty
TTF Album
TPF Gallery

Last edited by StormySkiez : at .
Old ,

my neons got eaten, and sucked up my filter. so I would imagine its essential to make sure they feel safe.

30 Gallon
- 1 Epalzeorhynchos Frenatus
- 1 Geophagus Taeniopareius
- 1 Metynnis Hypsauchen
- 2 Aulonocara Jacobfreibergi
- 2 Gold Trichogaster Trichopterus
- 2 Blue Trichogaster Trichopterus
- 3 Hemigrammus Caudovittatus

20 Gallon
- Cleaning