Forums  
  Discussion  
    Tim's Web Quiz  
    Tim's Web Puzzles  
  Polls - Freshwater  
  Polls - Saltwater  

Go Back   Tropical Fish Forum . Net > Freshwater Tropical Fish Discussion > Invertebrates

Invertebrates Questions and comments about invertebrates.

Old ,

Default small white worms?

I am noticing in my 20 gallon shrimp, guppy, neon tank and in my 10 gallon sword tank some small white (translucent) worms on the glass inside the tanks. Could these be juvinile black worms?

I did feed the swordtail tank blackworms and know I have blackworms under the undergravel filter plate (the 10 gallon tank), I am suspecting that this is the case, and if this is the case I noticed a couple black worms in the gravel of the 20 gallon tank (I rinsed the main filter media bag from the 10 gallon tank in the water of the 20 gallon tank a few times when I was getting the 20 gallon cycled; so that would explain how they got there.

The baby swordtails and even the pond snails in the 10 gallon tank seem to be eating these.

The worms are about 1/4 to one inch in length and the fish seem real healthy. I don't think these worms are a parasite from the pond snails that are in these two tanks (the snails migrated in as eggs on plants). I do have a few malaysian trumpet snails in these tanks that I introduced.

If these are just blackworms then all is well.

Dave
Old ,
Super Moderator

Default Re: small white worms?

This thread may help you Dave...specifically from Dano's post #9. "Planaria" is what I think you might have, which is often found in tanks. http://www.tropicalfishforum.net/showthread.php?t=2502

Regarding blalckworms, I stopped feeding live blackworms nearly a year ago, and still suction up around 10 worms everytime I syphon the gravel. They reproduce by dividing, but stay in the gravel.
Old ,

Default Re: small white worms?

Thanks Bernie,
that is what it looks like. Thank goodness they aren't harmful. I will just scrape them off of the inside of the tank as the baby swordtails (about 1/2-3/4 inch long now after not quite a week after them being born); maybe my shrimp will eat them too. I was concerned that they might have been a type of leech that attaches to crustaceans (sp) but doesn't hurt them or help them.

Dave