Forums  
  Discussion  
    Tim's Web Quiz  
    Tim's Web Puzzles  
  Polls - Freshwater  
  Polls - Saltwater  

Go Back   Tropical Fish Forum . Net > General Aquarium Care > Lighting and Heaters

Lighting and Heaters Questions and comments about freshwater aquarium lighting and heaters.

Old ,

Default Re: Shop Lights

The pics would be good...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8689.JPG
Views:	340
Size:	129.8 KB
ID:	1963  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8690.JPG
Views:	315
Size:	111.8 KB
ID:	1964  

5 gal... Robin, (Betta)
5 gal...Pete, (Betta)
5 gal...Scotty(Betta)
10 gal...Female Betta Sororiety
10 gal... Neons, Glolights and Cardinals, 1 Oto
10 gal... Ram Pair
29 gal... Mbuna Tank
29 gal... Krib Pair, Tiger Barbs, Tetras, 2 Otos
55 gal...5 Australian Rainbows, 1 Angel Fish, 1 Blue Gourami, 6 Congo Tetras, 1 Leopard Ctenopoma, 1 Clown Pleco, 1 UpsideDown Catfish,5 Otos, 1 Bronze Cory, 2 Peppered Cories,2 Panda Cories
Old ,

I can't see why your lighting won't work. I appears as bright as my 70w on the 30gal and 130w on the 55gal. Tanks look good, Sharon.
Old ,

Does it look yellow to you, or can you tell from the pic...I'm wondering if the extra brightness is just reflecting off the substrate, and giving a more yellow look. Either way , I'm going to try it...I don't think I want to spend $120 on a specialty light...

5 gal... Robin, (Betta)
5 gal...Pete, (Betta)
5 gal...Scotty(Betta)
10 gal... Ram Pair
29 gal... Mbuna Tank
55 gal...5 Australian Rainbows, 1 Angel Fish, 1 Blue Gourami, 6 Congo Tetras, 1 Leopard Ctenopoma, 1 Clown Pleco, 1 UpsideDown Catfish,5 Otos, 1 Bronze Cory, 2 Peppered Cories,2 Panda Cories
Old ,

I don't see any yellow. Hold a piece of typing paper near the light and if the coloration of the bulb is strong, you should be able to see it.
Old ,

The typing paper shows white...I think I'm just not used to the reflection from the extra brightness...Fish look so much more detailed and brighter!

5 gal... Robin, (Betta)
5 gal...Pete, (Betta)
5 gal...Scotty(Betta)
10 gal... Ram Pair
29 gal... Mbuna Tank
Old ,

A tank with just fish and some low light plants doesn't require as much lighting and will do fine with one or two Aqua Glo, Color Max or other similar lights.. One thing to keep in mind is that even though Aqua Glo and Color Max type of standard flourescent lamps are more or less 6500 K, they simply lack the output (lumens per watt) for any thing more than low light plants. A Power compact bulb or two will work much better, but you would need to get a fixture compatible with these bulbs
If you're going to get into medium to high light plants, you will need more ultra-violet and infrared light, and also more lumens/watts of intensity. Photosynthesis takes place at the blue end and at the red end of the Nanometer spectrum (420 nm blue and 670 nm red). The 'sweet spot for photosynthesis is in the range of 550 nm, this is where most visible light is present and is why plant leaves mostly reflect green light, while they absorb red and blue. This curve drops sharply below 400 nm and above 700 nm. Using 6500 K bulbs will get you within that desired spectrum. For my 55 gallon planted tank, I use 2 65 Watt Power Compact Fluorescents (PCs), each 6500K. That is a total of 130 Watts output which keeps ALL of my plants very, very happy...everything just grows and grows, not to mention that the colors on the fish REALLY show.
On a side note, PCs will put out quite some heat. If your lights are close to the water surface, you will not need a heater when the lights are on, otherwise your tank will cook. I originally solved this by setting up two timers in the tank, opposite to each other, one controlling the lights, the other the heater, when the lights are off, the heater goes on, and viceversa.
Nowadays, I simply keep the fixture above the water surface by as much as the canopy will allow and I also run cooling fans whenever they're on (I don't use heaters anymore - it's Florida after all). That has worked out pretty well.

Hope this helps!

Last edited by louphoenix : at .
Old ,

Thanks Lou...that does help. I've noticed new growth on the plants, already, so I'm happy so far...

5 gal... Robin, (Betta)
5 gal...Pete, (Betta)
5 gal...Scotty(Betta)
10 gal... Ram Pair
29 gal... Mbuna Tank
Old ,

Lou, I use the Coralife 100% white 10000k dual 65w on my 55 and Coralife 100% white 10000k dual 36w on my 30 long and my plant growth is too much for me. I now have to prune certain plants every week. If I were to go with co2 and advanced fertilization I would be swamped with plants.

I used the same lighting on my marine tanks , but with the 50-50 bulbs over the tanks with corals. I tried the 50-50 over fresh water plants and found that the plants did better under the 100% whites. How do you feel about the 100whites versus the 50-50 white/blue?
Old ,

Sharon, I love the look of your tank, the plant layout and colors is beautiful. If you wanted to hide air lines for your air stones you might try vallisneria.

I use a coralife 50/50 bulb (20 inch bulb) over my 20 gallon tank and we also lift the shades on the window in that room to give the tank ambient sunlight for the morning (window faces east, but is shaded by a blue spruce tree). The Vallisneria, arrow plant, dwarf hair grass, wisteria, and mosses are doing well and they are planted deep in the gravel with an undergravel filter. In fact I had to prune a couple starts from the vallisneria (about three inches from the main plant), and have starts from the wisteria almost every week.

Dave

Last edited by D.Gray : at .
Old ,

My only choices here are Java Fern and Banana Plant...I'll have a look for those that you suggest when I visit my daughter again at the end of the month. She has a lot of fish stores where she lives... and of course, I always check them out!

5 gal... Robin, (Betta)
5 gal...Pete, (Betta)
5 gal...Scotty(Betta)
10 gal... Ram Pair
29 gal... Mbuna Tank