Forums  
  Discussion  
    Tim's Web Quiz  
    Tim's Web Puzzles  
  Polls - Freshwater  
  Polls - Saltwater  

Go Back   Tropical Fish Forum . Net > Freshwater Tropical Fish Discussion > Tropical Fish Compatibility

Tropical Fish Compatibility Questions and comments about compatibility

Old ,

Default Help! Betta vs golden gourami

Hello everyone! I have a 30g aquarium, bin running for 6wks now with neon tetras everything going great. Recently bought a beautiful red male betta (fred!) and 2 golden gouramis. They were introduced to the tank together and disaster! Fred was hiding all the time and the gouramis appeared to be displaying mating behaviour. They also kept chasing fred and nipping his fins. So i moved the gouramis into a smaller temporary tank and they started fighting with each other!! I thought bettas and gouramis got on?? Fred since is much happier but stil a bit of a scaredy cat! Can anyone help explain??x
Old ,

Default Re: Help! Betta vs golden gourami

Bettas and Gouramis do not get along...I'm sure Fred will be less timid, if he has some space of his own. The Gouramis are fighting? You may have two males, and they will fight until one is dead. What size tank do you have them in?

5 gal... Robin, (Betta)
5 gal...Pete, (Betta)
5 gal...Scotty(Betta)
10 gal...Female Betta Sororiety
10 gal... Neons, Glolights and Cardinals, 1 Oto
10 gal... Ram Pair
29 gal... Mbuna Tank
29 gal... Krib Pair, Tiger Barbs, Tetras, 2 Otos
55 gal...5 Australian Rainbows, 1 Angel Fish, 1 Blue Gourami, 6 Congo Tetras, 1 Leopard Ctenopoma, 1 Clown Pleco, 1 UpsideDown Catfish,5 Otos, 1 Bronze Cory, 2 Peppered Cories,2 Panda Cories
Old ,

Ive put the gouramis into a 10g tank for now but divided it so they cant fight. Im confused though, Ive kept a betta with gouramis before and had no problems, also checked compatibility sites which have indicated it was ok to mix them.Could u please advise me what fish i can put in with the betta? He's currently sharing the 30g tank with 8neons and is happy at the moment. Thanks! x
Old ,

He might be Ok with the Neons. Sometimes it depends on the individual Betta. You need to watch and see how he's reacting to them, and also, if they are nipping at his fins. If I were you, I'd rehome one of the Gouramis, put the other in the 30gal with the Neons. Fred would love the 10gal. and you could try a few Cories with him...

5 gal... Robin, (Betta)
5 gal...Pete, (Betta)
5 gal...Scotty(Betta)
10 gal...Female Betta Sororiety
10 gal... Neons, Glolights and Cardinals, 1 Oto
10 gal... Ram Pair
29 gal... Mbuna Tank
29 gal... Krib Pair, Tiger Barbs, Tetras, 2 Otos
55 gal...5 Australian Rainbows, 1 Angel Fish, 1 Blue Gourami, 6 Congo Tetras, 1 Leopard Ctenopoma, 1 Clown Pleco, 1 UpsideDown Catfish,5 Otos, 1 Bronze Cory, 2 Peppered Cories,2 Panda Cories
Old ,

Ok will do. Fred seems to be getting on fine with the neons so far and has been blowing bubbles at me. I did want to keep him in a larger community tank but not if he's going to be unhappy. Thanks for your help. X