Forums  
  Discussion  
    Tim's Web Quiz  
    Tim's Web Puzzles  
  Polls - Freshwater  
  Polls - Saltwater  

Go Back   Tropical Fish Forum . Net > General Aquarium Care > Disease

Disease Questions and comments about fish diseases.

Old 11-14-2008, 10:27 PM

Unhappy I need help with a dalmation molly

Hey people!
I have a dalmation molly that has yelloy on her skin and i am concerned cuz she clamps her fins to her body. Please tell me what to do. I am in a bad delema.
Old 11-15-2008, 02:00 AM
Super Moderator

Default Re: I need help with a dalmation molly

It could be a number of things and very hard to say for sure from your description. Could you please give us a bit more information which will help us help you.

Where and how big is the yellowing and is it like a patch or more like fuzz on top of the skin? Does it look like scales are missing? Regarding the clamped fins, are they clamped all the time and is she showing other signs of stress such as having the shimmies, (which is swimming but staying in one spot).

It is also possible the yellowing is genetic and just natural colour coming out, they can change colour as they mature or it could be bacterial. Fish do clamp there fins every now and then, which is normal.

The information we need is:

What are your ammonia, nitrite and nitrate readings?
What is your PH level?
What is your Temperature set at?
Has the tank cycled...how long established?
Have you added any new fish recently?

How many/what other fish in the tank?
Did you add your molly just recently?

Sorry for all the ?ís but without knowing these things, we may end up steering you in the wrong direction. The first thing to always do, is to check the water quality/parameters as this is often the cause and should be easy to rectify with partial water changes. It is never a good idea to add medications without knowing the illness, which is another reason we ask all these ?ís first. If you donít have test kits, they LFS should be able to test a sample for you.

Mollies need relatively hard and alkaline water to remain healthy as well as a varied diet. If you only have mollies in the tank, I would suggest slowly adding 1 teaspoon of aquarium salt per gallon to the tank as a tonic and see how that goes if you think the molly is really stressed.
Old 11-15-2008, 07:31 PM

well the temp is 78 degrees farenhight. my ph is normal and the scales by the anal bin are yellow. its not a fuz. my tank has been up and running with fish since march of 2008. The molly has been in the tank for 4 weeks. and i have 20 glowlites and 3 neons 2 other mollies and to dawn platys
Old 11-15-2008, 09:11 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks for the info. Lollypop... Iím just assuming at this stage that your ammonia/nitrite/nitrate levels are within range. My first thought is that she could be pregnant. If she was in with males at the LFS or some of your mollies are males...she probably is.

Is she looking fatter? The yellow discolouration near the anal fin, could be from the skin stretching as the fry grow. The same as the dark gravid spot in guppies, but in mollies, because of their colouring and their skin not being as transparent as guppies, the gravid spot doesnít show.

Is she getting harassed by the males? This causes a lot of stress in the females, even more so if she is pregnant and could be why she is clamping her fins. If she is getting harassed too much, you may need to move her.
Old 11-15-2008, 10:29 PM

well no she is skinny. she was harrassing the males. I think its a female. I am not quite sure. he/she has been laying on the bottom, thats when the fins are clamped. Some times when it tries to swim up it sometimes just goes back to the bottom.
Old 11-15-2008, 10:59 PM
Super Moderator

First...if you click on "galleries" at the very top and then click on livebearers, then enlarge the black molly pic. it will help give an indication of what a male looks like....the anal fin is very pointed in a male and in the female it has the normal round shape.

Yes! that is a sure sign of stress or exhaustion. How long has he/she been like this and is the molly eating/pooping normally? I would recommend, if you haven't done so already...test your ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels and do a partial water change...I wouldn't use medications at this stage if all the other fish are fine, but keep a very close eye on her. If you have a quarantine tank set up you could isolate her.

Last edited by Bernie : 11-17-2008 at 01:29 AM.
Old 11-17-2008, 01:44 AM

ok it is a female and the rest of the mollies are males! I feel so bad for her. she isnt fat so she isnt pregnant. Should i put her in my breeding tank? in floats in my fish tank. i dont have a seperate tank that is community. its a chiclid. I also have one male and one female platy. they are peaceful. What should i do now?
Old 11-18-2008, 11:55 PM

problem solved. i added a few females and the skkin was just a little bit of defect
Old 11-19-2008, 12:45 AM

That's good news!

5 gal... Robin, (Betta)
5 gal...Pete, (Betta)
5 gal...Scotty(Betta)
10 gal...Female Betta Sororiety
10 gal... Neons, Glolights and Cardinals, 1 Oto
10 gal... Ram Pair
29 gal... Mbuna Tank
29 gal... Krib Pair, Tiger Barbs, Tetras, 2 Otos
55 gal...5 Australian Rainbows, 1 Angel Fish, 1 Blue Gourami, 6 Congo Tetras, 1 Leopard Ctenopoma, 1 Clown Pleco, 1 UpsideDown Catfish,5 Otos, 1 Bronze Cory, 2 Peppered Cories,2 Panda Cories