Forums  
  Discussion  
    Tim's Web Quiz  
    Tim's Web Puzzles  
  Polls - Freshwater  
  Polls - Saltwater  

Go Back   Tropical Fish Forum . Net > Freshwater Tropical Fish Discussion > Invertebrates

Invertebrates Questions and comments about invertebrates.

Old 11-18-2008, 08:16 PM

Default Phtos of my Red Cherry Shrimp

I have posted some piccies elsewhere but thought you might like to see them here.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Shrimp 6.17.08 on terracotta pot.JPG
Views:	415
Size:	80.9 KB
ID:	1978  Click image for larger version

Name:	Shrimp 6.23.08 on leaf.JPG
Views:	406
Size:	133.4 KB
ID:	1979  Click image for larger version

Name:	Shrimp (Female) 11.10.08  (3).JPG
Views:	791
Size:	90.7 KB
ID:	1980  
Old 11-18-2008, 08:31 PM

Default Re: Phtos of my Red Cherry Shrimp

Very, very nice!!!

5 gal... Robin, (Betta)
5 gal...Pete, (Betta)
5 gal...Scotty(Betta)
10 gal...Female Betta Sororiety
10 gal... Neons, Glolights and Cardinals, 1 Oto
10 gal... Ram Pair
29 gal... Mbuna Tank
29 gal... Krib Pair, Tiger Barbs, Tetras, 2 Otos
55 gal...5 Australian Rainbows, 1 Angel Fish, 1 Blue Gourami, 6 Congo Tetras, 1 Leopard Ctenopoma, 1 Clown Pleco, 1 UpsideDown Catfish,5 Otos, 1 Bronze Cory, 2 Peppered Cories,2 Panda Cories
Old 11-18-2008, 09:22 PM

i think there is something wrong with the Shrimp... there in your tank and not mine. they are cute and you did excellent taking those pics.

Steve
Old 11-19-2008, 12:23 AM

Thank you very much - I have taken lots of them.

I was hoping to be able to get better ones of them after the digital camera course that I went on but unfortunately, I can't get better macro pictures than I already have with that particular lense.

jellygirl

Last edited by jellygirl : 11-19-2008 at 12:26 AM.
Old 11-19-2008, 12:33 AM

They look really good to me, Michelle!

5 gal... Robin, (Betta)
5 gal...Pete, (Betta)
5 gal...Scotty(Betta)
10 gal...Female Betta Sororiety
10 gal... Neons, Glolights and Cardinals, 1 Oto
10 gal... Ram Pair
29 gal... Mbuna Tank
29 gal... Krib Pair, Tiger Barbs, Tetras, 2 Otos
55 gal...5 Australian Rainbows, 1 Angel Fish, 1 Blue Gourami, 6 Congo Tetras, 1 Leopard Ctenopoma, 1 Clown Pleco, 1 UpsideDown Catfish,5 Otos, 1 Bronze Cory, 2 Peppered Cories,2 Panda Cories
Old 11-19-2008, 01:32 PM

Love them!! I want some!! Excellent photography!!

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away."
Old 11-19-2008, 03:17 PM

Fishlover, the best way to get any kind of freshwater shrimp is to go on aquabid.com and find the best deal you can with a seller that has a lot of good feedback. You should be able to get them for just a little over $1.00 each that way instead of the $4.00-$5.00 each at a fish/pet store (25 shrimp for $30.00 plus shipping).

Once you get them you want to use the drip method to acclimate them (put them in a container that will hold three times the volume of water that they are shipped in, and then slowly drip water out of the tank that will hold them into the container you initially put them in; once you have three times the volume of water in the holding container you can pour it into the tank you will be keeping them in (this cuts the mortallity rate as shrimp don't like changes in water quality etc.)

Also remember when you get your shrimp they will be almost colorless, but they will color up over time with feeding of high quality food (algae tabs, boiled spinach, boiled carrots, boiled zuchini etc...).

Dave

Last edited by D.Gray : 11-19-2008 at 03:21 PM.
Old 11-19-2008, 04:40 PM

Dave, I kept all of my different shrimp in alkaline water as hard as I could get it by adding Kent Marine Calcium buffer and they did well. What do you do recommend from your experience with them?
Old 11-19-2008, 05:42 PM

my water is around 7.4 to 7.6 ph and I did add three tablespoons of regular aquarium salt (20 gallon tank, the salt directions called for four tablespoons).

I have three very red (almost brown) cherry females that are berried (green saddle) and one that is carrying eggs. Also the white banded shrimp are healthy as are the ghost shrimp (have a couple females that are about two inches long that are berried).

I also will soak algae tabs meant for plecos in Kent Marine "Zoe" which is a combination of spirulina and amino acids.

No young that I can see yet in the tank, but I am sure I will have them.

I do notice changes in the tank that aren't made very gradualy will kill a shrimp or two (usually a ghost or white banded); for instance I added the salt as one of the guppies had her tail fin nipped and was starting to get fin rot, I added salt and the next day two shrimp were dead.

Temp changes of more than five degrees also tend to stress the shrimp (I use a titanium submersible heater that has a thermostat with tempurature dial keeping the tank at around 77 degrees.)

when I added the shrimp I didn't use the drip method and lost a few in the first week. I simply floated the bags for an hour and then opened the bags and pushed them into the tank.

It is fun at feeding time to watch a shrimp grab a piece of flake food and run off with it.

I have noticed the shrimp eating the snail egg clusters and even some of the larger shrimp flipping a snail over and feasting (pond snails that came into the tank as eggs on plants). I have lately been trying to keep the snail population down by turning the snails into fish/ shrimp food by breaking their shells so the fish and shrimp can get to them easier.

The filtration on the 20 gallon is an undergravel filter with medium gravel with one riser being powered by air and the other being powered by an aquaclear powerhead (aquaclear 20) turned to the lowest volume setting. I turn it to the highest setting for about an hour a week to suck out gunk from under the filter plate and get it where the fish, shrimp and snails can get to it. Also I have blackworms that got into the tank when I rinsed the filter media from a power filter in that tank water to help cycle the tank and the fish and shrimp will eat these.

I have noticed that the shrimp and the guppies are like dogs waiting to be fed when I open the tank lid (guppies coming to the top of the tank and shrimp comming to the front of the tank).

When it isn't feeding time the shrimp will cluster in the java moss and some will make themselves comfortable on the vallisneria or other plants.

I feed the tank Tetra flakes daily, algae tabs twice a week (two or three tabs at a time), will boil baby spinach leaves and shred them (tried this the other day and man all the shrimp came out to feast), have tried blanched zuchini and had fish and shrimp whipped into a feeding frenzy. I have heard grated carrots are good to feed as well.

I have only been keeping shrimp for a couple months, but asked a multitude of questions about care, feeding, tank conditions, acclimation before putting the shrimp in the tank.

Dave
Old 11-19-2008, 06:25 PM

Mine were kept at 72 to 76*F and 7.5 to 8.0 ph with no fish in the tanks (3 ten gal) The Ghost were in a 30gal with fish, but still managed to produce many fry. I was going to sell and ship the CRS and CBS, but gave it up as it was too much of a hassle for me. I gave what I had to friends that were into shrimp. I see an occassional Ghost and Cherry in the 55 and 30, but hopefully they will get eaten sooner or later. I don't want any more breeding.

You sound like you are doing very well with yours and I hope you get many hundreds of cute little 1/4 inch fry all over the place.

PS: I used the prepaired foods that the breeders sold along with their shrimp.(ordered online)

Last edited by Dano : 11-19-2008 at 06:29 PM.