Forums  
  Discussion  
    Tim's Web Quiz  
    Tim's Web Puzzles  
  Polls - Freshwater  
  Polls - Saltwater  

Go Back   Tropical Fish Forum . Net > Freshwater Tropical Fish Discussion > Gouramis

Gouramis Questions and comments about gouramis.

Old 11-21-2008, 07:05 PM

Default 2 dead Gouramis

I have a 90 gal tropical community tank that has been running for over a year now. Inhabitants all happy, water tests well and plants thriving.

BUT part of the community were 2 'honey' Gouramis and were my favourites. This week, both have completely disappeared - no trace at all. Other than the piccies I have of them it would seem I imagined them!

I want to get more gouramis but really do not know what sort to get. There seem to be so many differing varieties. Can someone point me in the right direction please??
Old 11-21-2008, 07:55 PM

Default Re: 2 dead Gouramis

sorry about losing your fish
i get upset when ii lose fish
i read that honey gouramis are really good community fish
and are not very aggresive

what fish do you have in your community tank?
Old 11-21-2008, 08:51 PM

Alan thanks for your reply. Yes, losing fish is not a good idea and even more upsetting when there is no apparent reason

I will put my fish tanks, and species in them, on my signature.

21gal tropical community tank
4platys 2swordtail 2Guppys 6Harlequins 2bristlenose 5 pristella tetra

8gal nursery tank
3 platysloadza different fry that will need a good home soon
400gal cold saltwater tank
2 - lobster6 starfish3 blennies2 pipefish2 scorpion fish 4 butterfish 6 different crabs anemones and mussels
Old 11-22-2008, 11:06 AM

Richard, I assumed the tank with the Gouramis wasn't listed in sig. until I read your other thread,as you've said it was a 90gal. tank I was about to congratulate you on the 90gal!
There's nothing in the tank that would have bothered the Gouramis. Have you searched for them?...Move all decor, while doing a water change and gravel cleaning. If they were ill, fish will hide, and they can get into the "darndest" places to die. It's very odd that both disappeared at the same time. Is the tank covered? Have you checked the floor area around the tank? Do you have a cat?

5 gal... Robin, (Betta)
5 gal...Pete, (Betta)
5 gal...Scotty(Betta)
10 gal...Female Betta Sororiety
10 gal... Neons, Glolights and Cardinals, 1 Oto
10 gal... Ram Pair
29 gal... Mbuna Tank
29 gal... Krib Pair, Tiger Barbs, Tetras, 2 Otos
55 gal...5 Australian Rainbows, 1 Angel Fish, 1 Blue Gourami, 6 Congo Tetras, 1 Leopard Ctenopoma, 1 Clown Pleco, 1 UpsideDown Catfish,5 Otos, 1 Bronze Cory, 2 Peppered Cories,2 Panda Cories
Old 11-22-2008, 04:45 PM

Sharon - I actually did a water change and thorough gardening effort the very next day and there wasn't a sign of anything. Yes There is a cover and cats are banned from the house as I have a cathating border terrier

It is funny really as I was very fond of those gouramis. I called them honey gouramis but I never actually got a proper identification. When I posted piccies of them on the other forum there was disagreement as to what they actually were. I am off to my LFS next week and want to get some more but not sure what sort to get .

I have attached a piccie of one of one of the ones that have disappeared, it looks a bit too pink in photo, it should look honey coloured - maybe someone has seem them hanging around?????
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Gourami copy.jpg
Views:	390
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	1996  

8gal nursery tank
2 - lobster6 starfish3 blennies2 pipefish2 scorpion fish 4 butterfish 6 different crabs anemones and mussels
Old 11-22-2008, 05:41 PM

Well, I guess it will remain an unsolved mystery. I don't suppose a friend has been envying your fish, and decided to help himself! I suppose they could have jumped and the dog ate them...It is VERY WEIRD, for two fish, of that size, to just disappear! I'm really bad at IDing fish...Dan is much better than I am, so wait for him. I would hazard a guess thay they are Honeys...

5 gal... Robin, (Betta)
5 gal...Pete, (Betta)
5 gal...Scotty(Betta)
10 gal... Ram Pair
29 gal... Mbuna Tank
55 gal...5 Australian Rainbows, 1 Angel Fish, 1 Blue Gourami, 6 Congo Tetras, 1 Leopard Ctenopoma, 1 Clown Pleco, 1 UpsideDown Catfish,5 Otos, 1 Bronze Cory, 2 Peppered Cories,2 Panda Cories
Old 11-22-2008, 05:59 PM

Well I shall call them honeys unless Dan? has other suggestions. I see you have blue gourami - why those and for what reason?

Incidentally, I have been given another very large homemade tank which I think is about 50gals - too big to go in the house Well if I lived on my own it wouldn't!! but fortunately that is not the case. So it is now lying outside and I have to keep walking past it - not good Any suggestions and also answers on gouramis please someone

8gal nursery tank
Old 11-22-2008, 07:05 PM

I have a Blue Gourami, just because I like them...and I have a large tank. They grow to about 6 inches, and can get nasty as they age. I wouldn't use those for your tank, as it's not large enough. How about... you take your wife dancing, be really romantic, and the next day, get rid of the 20gal tank, put all those fish in the 55gal. that's laying outside...use the old filter, and get another to work alongside it(it will seed and you won't have to worry about the cycle)...Think of all the fish you could have, including Blue Gouramis!!!

5 gal... Robin, (Betta)
5 gal...Pete, (Betta)
5 gal...Scotty(Betta)
10 gal... Ram Pair
29 gal... Mbuna Tank
Old 11-22-2008, 07:20 PM

Scrivens Sharon - you are a really bad influence and you are also supposed to be a moderator on this forum??? Moderation is not putting a 50gal tank into our rather tiny living room - it would probably be instant divorce

However I have to admit it is rather a cool idea and maybe I will have to think on it.

You have answered about blue gouramis - not for me I guess. See Michelle is having fun with her Kribs but is there much difference between kribs and guppys???

8gal nursery tank
Old 11-22-2008, 07:31 PM

Of course it's a good idea ...Think about it. You'd still have just one tank to care for, it's actually a living piece of furniture, and you could rearrange something to make a place for it. While you're rearranging, DO NOT leave any mess for your wife to clean up.

There is a very BIG difference between Kribs and Guppies. Kribs get very aggressive when they breed...they are really good parents, and protect their young. Michelle has had great luck with her Kribs. Mine have bred but do not sucessfully raise fry...

5 gal... Robin, (Betta)
5 gal...Pete, (Betta)
5 gal...Scotty(Betta)
10 gal... Ram Pair
29 gal... Mbuna Tank