Forums  
  Discussion  
    Tim's Web Quiz  
    Tim's Web Puzzles  
  Polls - Freshwater  
  Polls - Saltwater  

Go Back   Tropical Fish Forum . Net > Freshwater Tropical Fish Discussion > Catfish, Plecos and Loaches

Catfish, Plecos and Loaches Questions and comments about catfish, plecos and loaches.

Old ,

Default Got 2 new members for my community

Yep - done it. My LFS is 2 days away for me so don't get there very often! But was there yesterday and they had some bristlenose in - bought 2 and introduced to my community tank last night. What amazing little guys. They are only about 1in long and just made straight for sides of tank and began munching straight away - absolutely no regard or hello to the other inmates

21gal tropical community tank
4platys 2swordtail 2Guppys 6Harlequins 2bristlenose 5 pristella tetra

8gal nursery tank
3 platysloadza different fry that will need a good home soon
400gal cold saltwater tank
2 - lobster6 starfish3 blennies2 pipefish2 scorpion fish 4 butterfish 6 different crabs anemones and mussels
Old ,

Default Re: Got 2 new members for my community

Hi Richard,

You lucky guy - hope the new additions settle in well. I have a female BN albino plec. She is always busy cleaning the tank, bless her. She also sucks the life out of all my plants too - drat.

Your island sounds lovely, can't you post some piccies. You know how much I love Scotland, and it will take me back to when we went there with the kids

Last edited by jellygirl : at .
Old ,

Michelle - they are just great - really crusing round the tank finding algae patches, then a bit of wood and all the time totally oblivious to any other inmates!

Piccies of scotland eh? Well I have attached one of view from our garden and will hunt some more up this evening. Have to go now as delivering some of my excess fish/fry to a friend - WAHOO Then looking after visitor centre and changing water in marine tank for the day.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Garden2.jpg
Views:	370
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	2003  

8gal nursery tank
2 - lobster6 starfish3 blennies2 pipefish2 scorpion fish 4 butterfish 6 different crabs anemones and mussels
Old ,

Ah Richard,

Just as I imagined eh. What a lovely serene view. Oh am I envious or what -dead envious.

Glad to hear the BN are settling.

Michelle
Old ,

i got a bristlenose on tuesday, and he/she did the same thing. straight to the sides of the tank. love him/her.

oh and your view is amazing

9g:
male betta

20g
3 male guppies
3 peppered cories
2 bristlenose catfish
Old ,

Richard, that view looks absolutely gorgeous!!! I don't know how you'd ever leave the garden!!! Congrats on the purchase of the BNs. Maybe you've got a male and female, and will have little Bristlenose babies!!!

5 gal... Robin, (Betta)
5 gal...Pete, (Betta)
5 gal...Scotty(Betta)
10 gal...Female Betta Sororiety
10 gal... Neons, Glolights and Cardinals, 1 Oto
10 gal... Ram Pair
29 gal... Mbuna Tank
29 gal... Krib Pair, Tiger Barbs, Tetras, 2 Otos
55 gal...5 Australian Rainbows, 1 Angel Fish, 1 Blue Gourami, 6 Congo Tetras, 1 Leopard Ctenopoma, 1 Clown Pleco, 1 UpsideDown Catfish,5 Otos, 1 Bronze Cory, 2 Peppered Cories,2 Panda Cories
Old ,

Quote:
Originally Posted by silent_rock_faery View Post
i got a bristlenose on tuesday, and he/she did the same thing. straight to the sides of the tank. love him/her.

oh and your view is amazing

Hello silent_rock_faery - nice to meet you. I see you are from the other side of the world - deep down under! Yep, the BN's are just amazing and make me chuckle with their crazy sort of movements darting from place to place. First a nice big chew on bogwood then onto glass for a touch of algae. quick nosh on a plant then short rest in their hidey hole.

Not sure what to feed them on. I drop the odd [pleco wafer in but think the other fish are gobbling it. How are you feeding yours?

Sharon - quite easy leaving the view from the garden because going out to sea means fantastic panorama of the mainland to ben Nevis and all the other islands round here - very majestic and beautiful. I could never leave this country

8gal nursery tank
Old ,

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairbs View Post
Hello silent_rock_faery - nice to meet you. I see you are from the other side of the world - deep down under! Yep, the BN's are just amazing and make me chuckle with their crazy sort of movements darting from place to place. First a nice big chew on bogwood then onto glass for a touch of algae. quick nosh on a plant then short rest in their hidey hole.

Not sure what to feed them on. I drop the odd [pleco wafer in but think the other fish are gobbling it. How are you feeding yours?

i dont have any bottom feeder food so mine is basically just eating the food that falls to the floor and the algea. i also give my fish peas and some of that goes to the bottom so he eats that and is very happy.

9g:
male betta

20g
3 male guppies
3 peppered cories
2 bristlenose catfish
Old ,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharon View Post
Richard, that view looks absolutely gorgeous!!! I don't know how you'd ever leave the garden!!! Congrats on the purchase of the BNs. Maybe you've got a male and female, and will have little Bristlenose babies!!!

Tiddlers would be great but LFS said that the 2 I got were too small to sex so have to wait and see what develops.

silent_rock_faery - peas! I forgot all about peas. I always used to feed them, so thanks for that. I do feed garlic as a treat occasionally and they all seem to like it or maybe it could be the snails that eat it?
Well done getting into college/uni. The start of a great new road for you - exciting

8gal nursery tank
Old ,

Hi Richard,

The BN also enjoy courgette and raw cucumber or lettuce. Weight it down though otherwise they will be swimming with the fish. You can either use the lead that comes with the plant bunches or a clip for that kind of stuff that you can buy from the lfs.

Pics of scotland are always welcome. We wanted to take the kids up the Ben Nevis range, but due to bad weather conditions only got as far as the glen. That was the year they were shooting Brave Heart so we watched the filming on the set. I was so excited to watch all these men with blue paint on their faces. It was all a bit confusing at the time. I was real keen to spot my favourite actor Mel Gibson, but there were hundreds of extras around and the kids thought it was all a bit boring stuck in the car, so I had to leave way before I was ready to - drat. Got as far as the Snow Goose Restaurant on another attempt. The kids were a little young but I have some lovely pictures amd memories.

Michelle