Forums  
  Discussion  
    Tim's Web Quiz  
    Tim's Web Puzzles  
  Polls - Freshwater  
  Polls - Saltwater  

Go Back   Tropical Fish Forum . Net > General Aquarium Care > DIY (Do It Yourself)

DIY (Do It Yourself) Provide ideas for building your own equipment, tanks and decorations

Old 12-14-2008, 12:07 PM

Default How do i fix water damage :o(

Hey guys;

My external filter decided to leak about a gallon of water over night due to a cracked canister.

The problem i have is that the stand the fish tank is sitting on is made of wood or MDF and the sides supporting the fish tank have now swollen on one side because of the water exposure. Is this a cause for concern, im worried that the stand will collapse

Please help, really scared
Old 12-14-2008, 01:20 PM

Default Re: How do i fix water damage :o(

Oh dear! I think it would be a cause for concern. How big is the tank? Is it an option to move it, and let the stand dry out?

5 gal... Robin, (Betta)
5 gal...Pete, (Betta)
5 gal...Scotty(Betta)
10 gal...Female Betta Sororiety
10 gal... Neons, Glolights and Cardinals, 1 Oto
10 gal... Ram Pair
29 gal... Mbuna Tank
29 gal... Krib Pair, Tiger Barbs, Tetras, 2 Otos
55 gal...5 Australian Rainbows, 1 Angel Fish, 1 Blue Gourami, 6 Congo Tetras, 1 Leopard Ctenopoma, 1 Clown Pleco, 1 UpsideDown Catfish,5 Otos, 1 Bronze Cory, 2 Peppered Cories,2 Panda Cories
Old 12-14-2008, 02:56 PM

The stand has dried out already, im just worried that it might callapse? The tank is a 40 gallon one
Old 12-14-2008, 05:27 PM

Temporary repair: Cut a piece of 1/2 inch plywood the exact same size as the whole damaged side. Place the plywood against the damaged side and using screws long enough, attach the plywood very tightly. It would be best to run the screws from the inside as they may not grip in the damaged side. (a construction glue like Liquid Nail can be used between the plywood and damaged side for extra strength)

The damaged side cannot be repaired because it is probably made of particle board. Use the temp repair until you can remove the stand.

Last edited by Dano : 12-14-2008 at 07:47 PM.
Old 12-15-2008, 10:22 PM

UPDATE:

Well ive ordered a new filter, I have a 40 gallon tank and the external filter i had was an Interpet EPF350 for tanks up to 77 gallons. Ive decided to go for the Interpet EPF250 which does up to 55 gallons. Im not sure why i went for such a big one in the first place lol

The cabinet seems to be fine, it has all dried out now and even though the wood is swollen on one side it doesnt seemed to have done any harm. Im keeping an eye on it for more bowing etc so fingers crossed!!!

Thanks for your help Sharon and Dano
Old 12-16-2008, 05:31 AM

I have no comment about canister filters. You are probably correct in thinking the water damage wasn't that bad. Particle board sometimes keeps most of it's strength if it isn't thoroughly soaked for an extended period of time, it just gets lumpy. If it stays wet it can actually crumble.