Forums  
  Discussion  
    Tim's Web Quiz  
    Tim's Web Puzzles  
  Polls - Freshwater  
  Polls - Saltwater  

Go Back   Tropical Fish Forum . Net > General Aquarium Care > Filters and Powerheads

Filters and Powerheads Questions and comments about aquarium filters and powerheads

Old 12-15-2008, 10:27 PM

Default External filters ggrrrrr

Ive had my external filter since August, i changed some of the media about a month ago and a few days ago it decided to start leaking.....ALL OVER FLOOR and in the fish tank cabinet!!! The crack was due to me forcing open the filter to change the media a month before hand, the tops are SOOO HARD to move and i suspect that the canister cracked while i trying to remove it!!!

Does anyone have the same problem, if so how do you go around dismantling it without cracking the main canister compartment.....a new filter for every clean out is a bit excessive lol
Old 12-16-2008, 03:16 AM

Default Re: External filters ggrrrrr

I suspect it is the type of filter you have I have been useing canister filters for the last 10 months and I love them... I have a rena and a fluval and I do not have any problem with them being hard to open...The only thing is they are time consuming when the need too be cleaned...rob
Old 12-16-2008, 05:40 AM

I think you made a post about that problem some time ago. I would assume that you cannot get it repaired reliably. If it were not for the pressure that cannister filters produce, you could glue and patch the crack. You might try emaling the manufacturer with the problem and they might have a solution. You may be able to order a replacement container at much less cost than a new one...............I do not like cannister filters. I owned two large Fluvals I used on a series of breeding tanks and I gave them away. Good luck
Old 12-16-2008, 08:11 PM

my cannisters are great for all the media trays and such
but, when something needs repairing
you will usually need to order the part online
i own 3 fluvals
2 which leaked from either a cracked casing or the o-ring decided to leak
luckly i was at home when both incidents happened
so now i have an extra fluval just for parts if anything else decides to fail without notice
and i ordered some extra o-rings for that special moment