Forums  
  Discussion  
    Tim's Web Quiz  
    Tim's Web Puzzles  
  Polls - Freshwater  
  Polls - Saltwater  

Go Back   Tropical Fish Forum . Net > Freshwater Tropical Fish Discussion > Livebearers

Livebearers Questions and comments about livebearers

Old 12-20-2008, 11:56 PM

Default Does mother nature balance a tank

I love my live bearers, but now don't know what to do with all the fry. My lFS does not take then unless they are all the same size. Does nature help to balance how many off spring are born, or what happen when the tank gets over crowded. I only have 1 male sword and 1 male molly and when and if they go I will not get anymore. I thought fry where great, and loved to watch them grow. But now I worry about over crowding and not being able to get rid of them. Is there a solution to my problem.
________
Jaguar XJS picture

Last edited by sandygirl : 01-29-2011 at 01:21 AM.
Old 12-21-2008, 02:51 AM
Super Moderator

Default Re: Does mother nature balance a tank

No! "Mother Nature" will need help in this...They may have less fry if things get too over-populated, but there is no quarantee of that. Unless all the fry born are eaten, you will probably continue to have a problem unfortunately. The only solution is to have all same sex fish.

The only options I can think of now is to:

*See if the LFS will take your 2 males.
*Try and get a fry tank to hold all the fry in until they are big enough to take to the LFS.
*Perhaps advertise in your local paper and sell/give away some that way. Many people may use fry as feeder fish.
*Dispose of the fry humanely.
Old 12-21-2008, 01:04 PM

yeah i have the same problem. i bought another tank to house the fry but they just keep having more. my fry tank has dangerous ammonia levels that just wont go away. but the thing is i love my male swordtails. i have 2 boys. would they be ok without a female?

and i suppose i could get rid of my male molly and just keep the girls...

9g:
male betta

20g
3 male guppies
3 peppered cories
2 bristlenose catfish
Old 12-22-2008, 03:12 AM

Thanks Bernie I am going to check with my LFS and see if I buy a new tank just for the fry will he take them when they are all big. If so what size tank would be big enough? I hope he does take them I just saw 3 more new fry today.
________
Subaru Sumo picture

Last edited by sandygirl : 01-29-2011 at 01:22 AM.
Old 12-22-2008, 03:14 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by silent_rock_faery View Post
yeah i have the same problem. i bought another tank to house the fry but they just keep having more. my fry tank has dangerous ammonia levels that just wont go away. but the thing is i love my male swordtails. i have 2 boys. would they be ok without a female?

and i suppose i could get rid of my male molly and just keep the girls...

The boys would be fine without a female! If keeping all males I would advise having 3...this hopefully evens out any aggression.
Old 12-22-2008, 03:18 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandygirl View Post
Thanks Bernie I am going to check with my LFS and see if I buy a new tank just for the fry will he take them when they are all big. If so what size tank would be big enough? I hope he does take them I just saw 3 more new fry today.

Usually a 5-10 gall. is sufficient (10g preferably), but it really depends on how many fry there are Sandy and how long they will be in the tank for.
Old 12-24-2008, 12:52 AM

Thanks Bernie, I haven't talked to my LFS yet because of Christmas I have been very busy, but it will be one of my new years resulations and I will get it set up. I can find room for another 10 g tank. He never has Swords in his store so hopefully if I can give him half a dozen at a time all about the same size he will take them. I just can't let them go for feeder fish. My Beta seems to be suffering from the over crowding. I will ask that on the Bets forum.
________
Ford XL Falcon picture

Last edited by sandygirl : 01-29-2011 at 01:22 AM.