Forums  
  Discussion  
    Tim's Web Quiz  
    Tim's Web Puzzles  
  Polls - Freshwater  
  Polls - Saltwater  

Go Back   Tropical Fish Forum . Net > Freshwater Tropical Fish Discussion > Livebearers

Livebearers Questions and comments about livebearers

Old ,

Default To many fry

I am having a very serious problem with to many fry in my tank and don't know what to do. When I first started just over a year ago with live bearers I wanted to have fry. Now everytime I look into the tank there are more. Not all survive, but at least 3 per batch make it. I can't find anyone to take them and I can't kill them. I asked my LFS if I bought a 10 gal tank and raised them to a certain size would he take them and he said no. My mature fish are starting to look stressed, because of the croweding. I wish I could find someone to take all my live bearers. Then I would just have Loaches and Beta. Also my Goldfish in a seperate tank are a lot of pleasure to watch. No more live bearers for me.
________
marijuana strain green crack

Last edited by sandygirl : at .
Old ,

Default Re: To many fry

Sandy, one thing you can do is place the fry (once they are say an inch or so long) up for sale on an auction site there are at least two that I know of that deal in mostly fish and fish related items. Post pictures of the adults in your ads stating that they are the parents and not the fish being sold.

People might buy them; I purchased Kuhli loaches like this and payed the shipping from the seller to me.

Also you might ask another fish store if there is one in your area, or place an add in the local clasifieds or on craigslist.com...

hope this helps you some,
Dave
Old ,

Sandy,

I thought the same thing with my livebearers! I ended up selling all of them and now i really take back what i have done. Livebearers are difficult to keep and you would think that a Betta and loaches would be enough but that's not the case! Livebearers are actually an enjoyment to watch and keep. I know the amount of fry is very "annoying" (trust me i had my share) but don't sell all of your livebearers.

Instead i would keep a small male fry, since they cant breed and keep him for fun, see how he grows and you wont have any new fry. The males can be teritorial but if you feel that you should get rid of all the livebearers then go ahead.

And i can totally agree with you on the goldfish comment. They are very enjoyable to watch. I would also take Dave's advice on selling the fish. I have an LFS that buys fish for store credit but i see you are not that lucky in your position.

Good luck,
Pwat
"Speak your mind, even if your voice shakes."
-Maggie Kuhn
Old ,

I had another idea on how to get rid of the fry.

1. you could donate them to a grade school class once they are a couple weeks old so the students can enjoy their growth. I did this with five gupies from my first batch and the kids enjoy watching the tank (I donated the water, five guppies, a malaysian trumpet snail, and a wisteria plant to the second grade class my son is in).

You could call around to the different teachers in the elementary, Junior High and High school to see if there is any interest (Junior High and High schools usually have some sort of science or biology class and the teacher might have a tank in the class or one he could set up).

2. you can see if your local library has a tank set up and whether they would be interested in having some new fish. I donated a large wisteria plant to the city library where I live and planted it in their tank (a big bow front well over 55 gallon that I would love to have).

3. you could also call the college or university biology, zoology or other departments and see if the professors would be interested in your fry.

the teachers might even offer to buy the fish from you.

sometimes a fish or pet store will take the fish off of your hands if you want to just give them away... of course the fish store will sell them.

Just some food for thought,
Dave
Old ,

My fish store will take anything free......they have not bought anything from me yet. Probably never will. I'd call every fish store close to you. Try to get them to buy them if not ask if they will take them for free.
10g- ramshorn & pond snails,3 neon tetras, cherry shrimp
10g- QT tank-empty
2.5- QT tank- nerita,amano,anacharis
TTF Album
TPF Gallery
Old ,

Thanks everyone for all your suggestions. I will really try and and pawn them off onto someone. I live where there is only one LFS. Even the new local Super Walmart store doesn't have a fish department now. The little one did have a fish department. The next place is about a 30 minute drive from here. Because I live in Northern Ontario the weather does not permit me to drive to far most of the time.

What happens when you get to many fish in a tank. Do they all die or kill each other. Nature must have a way of controlling the enviroment.
________
marijuana vaporizer

Last edited by sandygirl : at .
Old ,

Well in nature, it's a fish eat fish and bird eat fish world. There are balances. In our tanks we have to be the predators and keepers of the fish. The fish might die of stress or just get sick from the stress and die.
"Speak your mind, even if your voice shakes."
-Maggie Kuhn
Old ,

one more thing, when the tank is overstocked you have to keep a much closer watch on the water. with too many fish in there you probably need to do water changes more often than normal.

Steve