Forums  
  Discussion  
    Tim's Web Quiz  
    Tim's Web Puzzles  
  Polls - Freshwater  
  Polls - Saltwater  

Go Back   Tropical Fish Forum . Net > General Aquarium Care > Water Quality and Algae

Water Quality and Algae Questions and comments about water quality.

Old 02-09-2009, 12:01 AM

Default Cloudy water?

Hello all,

I have a 77 gallon tank. The tank has assorted tropicals such as swords, bala shark, angel, corys, pleco, etc.
I live in a rural area and the water is harder with higher ph. To bring down to ph a bit I have added 4 larger pieces of driftwood.
I know about the tanins so after frequent water changes the tea color was gone. But the water never seems to get crystal clear, and always remains a bit cloudy. I do not over feed the fish, and am very religous about cleaning the gravel, filter media, etc.
Now heres the thing, I have had this same tank running in the past with african cichlids (lots of rock and no driftwood) with crystal clear water.
I run 2 filters in the tank,(fluval 404, and an aqua clear 500) so I think I have plenty of filtration.
I guess my very long winded question comes down to this.
Is it the driftwood in the tank that causes the cloudiness in the water?
Any help would be be welcomed and I hope all is well with everyone.
Old 02-09-2009, 02:28 AM

Post Re: Cloudy water?

Hi Bala I had the same problem... How often do you do water changes of 10-15% and the rest of the things are ok ammonia and others??? I cleared it up with a week and a half of water changes every other day of 10%. Now my water is crytal clear.. It only clouds up after a filter cleaning and it clears again with in a day...I sit at 7.4 ph 0 ammonia....
Hope this helps Rob

2 bala sharks
1 angels
2 molleis
3 guppies
4 harlequin resboras
5 black neons
12 bleeding heart tetras
1 otto cats
3 siamese algae eaters
2 chinese algae eaters
1 panda corys
3 copper corys
3 pepper corys
Old 02-09-2009, 06:52 AM

Default Re: Cloudy water?

You may be having a bacterial bloom from the wood or something in the cracks and crevasses in the wood............I would be curious what your ph, ammonia and nitrate levels are............Have you tried activated carbon in the filters yet?
Old 02-10-2009, 02:18 AM

Hi Dano,
ph = 8
ammonia = 0
nitrite = 0
nitrate = 0
I am running carbon in both of my filters. they are changed monthly.
Old 02-10-2009, 05:50 AM

How long has this tank been running?....If it has cycled you should have a nitrate reading......The continous waste reduction by the benificial bacteria produces nitrate......No nitrate tells me something ain't right.
Old 02-11-2009, 12:54 AM

Hi Dano,
Thank you for your replies. I think I should invest in a new test kit, because I used to have outdoor pond fish, Koi and such. So I have been using the pond test kit (Laguna) for my aquarium testing.
The tank has been up and running for aprox. 3.5 months.
I might also add that since we started conversing about this subject the water has started to get progressively clearer.
Go figure, its like when you take your car to the mechanic for that certain noise or problem which of course it does not do when they take it for a test drive!
If i could bend your ear a little bit more, what are ultimate readings for a well cycled aquarium.
I will post my new readings when I buy the new test kit.
I will also keep you posted on the clarity of the water.
Thank you again for listening.
Old 02-11-2009, 01:15 AM

i had the the same issue with over cleaning the gravel and filter media.
everytime i did a good cleaning thinking i was doing more good thsn bad.
try not to clean so much.
your just geting rid of the beneficial bacterial
and when you do clean your media use the tank water to rinse it a little

so your probably having minicycles or worst starting your cycle all over again.
and what dano was saying is right on the money there should be some nitrate on an established tank. always

im not trying to be mean
just giving some constructive critisism (sp)
Old 02-11-2009, 02:32 AM

Hi Allan,
Thank you for your reply.
When the gravel is cleaned in my tank the filters are never cleaned at the same time.
I clean the gravel around the rocks, plants etc., every water change, which is once a week.
Once a month I do a more substantial cleaning, which involves moving around the rocks and ornaments and cleaning under that as well, and that water always comes out very dirty.
Is there not enough beneficial bacteria in all of my filter media to keep the tank from recycling?
I change my carbon once a month, rinse sponge every couple of months, and replace bio ceramic material every 3 months.
The media in my filters are always cleaned or replaced as needed, and never all at the same time.
Also could you explain to me what a mini cycle is?
Old 02-11-2009, 08:43 AM

Some people refer to an ammonia spike as a mini cycle.....Most people do know it, but a tank has small ammonia spikes all the time.....Sometimes the waste products get a little ahead of the bacteria and the ammonia will rise a little bit...These little ammonia spikes may last only a few hours.

The various beneficial bacteria are continuously reducing the waste down into nitrate.....You can have 0 ammonia and nitrite, but you will always have nitrate in a healthy bio system.....This is where the water changes do the most good by removing the ever growing nitrate.