Forums  
  Discussion  
    Tim's Web Quiz  
    Tim's Web Puzzles  
  Polls - Freshwater  
  Polls - Saltwater  

Go Back   Tropical Fish Forum . Net > Freshwater Tropical Fish Discussion > Catfish, Plecos and Loaches

Catfish, Plecos and Loaches Questions and comments about catfish, plecos and loaches.

Old 02-10-2009, 02:32 AM

Default Ahhh!! Cories Mating!!!

I believe after thoroughly watching a few YouTube videos that my cories have mated. I'm not even sure it's possible though because they're so young. I checked a few sources but i could not find what age they start to spawn. If the female lays her eggs, then i would have no idea what to do. I also have a betta in the tank, so she might eat the eggs. I might want to keep these eggs, and i've read it's very easy to breed cories but i still have no idea how to do it. If someone could give me an article ASAP it would be of much help.

From a suprised and not believing her eyes Pwat.

P.S. i have taken a video but i'm not sure it's the actual mating based off of the videos i saw. I will still post the ones i have taken and will take.

P.S.S. I want to add that they lost a lot of their color from all the chasing and are still going. They've never done this before.

P.S.S.S. They are quite young, about a few months i believe.
"Speak your mind, even if your voice shakes."
-Maggie Kuhn
Old 02-10-2009, 05:24 AM

Default Re: Ahhh!! Cories Mating!!!

This is a long article and covers a lot of stuff about corys.
http://aqualandpetsplus.com/Catfish,%20Corydoras.htm
Old 02-10-2009, 08:10 PM

Ok thank you so much Dano! I'm not sure if they're 2 years old yet but they look quite young compared to the other Cories i see at the LFS when i go there now. Anyways thank a bunches, i'll try to update and see what happens.

It might've been like a sugar rush for the cories.
-Maggie Kuhn
Old 02-11-2009, 01:57 PM

my cories laid eggs about 6 months ago.. maybe not that long ago.
this is what i did..

i removed the eggs and placed them in a breeder net to keep them from being eatten.i added a airstone and put it right next to the basket to increase water movement..after they are laid they get hard so be careful and patient with them.mine were stuck on the filter skimmer and all in the plants..i ended up with about 30 eggs

i didnt know till after but turn the light off while waiting for eggs to hatch( i didnt know this and lost all but 8 eggs)
it took my eggs about 4-5 days to hatch..they had a yolk sack so i didnt start feeding for a few days...i fed crushed flakes..id drop it on the water top and would swirl the water gently to get them to sink..they grew fast and i had 8 survive in the net, but when i added them to my bigger tank i had 2 survive and still going strong wishing they would do it again but no luck

i think adding them to a cooler tank threw them into spawning...
ill try and add pictures of my babies this evening if you wanna see them.
Old 02-11-2009, 08:35 PM

It doesn't really seem like any mating happened because there haven't been any eggs for 2 days now. I don't have any leads to what caused their excitement.

Ses, the pictures would be great! Thanks for all the info. Just one question: A breeder's net, you mean like the ones you stick into the tank that have the covering as a net?

Also, i can't exactly say so right now since they're young, but they all appear to be males . So i'll have to wait and see how it will end up.
-Maggie Kuhn
Old 02-12-2009, 01:34 AM

yeah the lil mesh box you hang on the inside of the tank.. keeps babies away from the bigger fish.
i think i picked thim up at petsmart for 3 bucks..

just keep an eye for eggs..and to make your chances better, if you have room,add a few more.. they love swimming in groups...granted 2 different types dont hang together...so stick with the same kind.my juli and bronze hardly interact with each other.

ill try and get valerie to get me some pics real quick
Old 02-12-2009, 03:24 AM

Yeppers, i have one of the breeder's net that i used for the molly fry i had earlier. I was actually thinking of getting a few panda cories but now that you said that they dont like variety i'll stick to the bronze cory. This weekend should be the time when i finally get to go to the LFS.
-Maggie Kuhn
Old 02-12-2009, 01:16 PM

they will all get along.. but i really dont think they will interbreed..the pandas are really cute, i was a lfs friday that had some. good luck picking some new babies...

btw took pics but battery died so ill ge them up around 4 today..
Old 03-23-2009, 09:20 PM

Hi all, First post here and just had cories lay eggs again.lol I have learned to have afew things ready when it happens. I use methylene blue as the anti fungal agent. I only use 4 drops as that seems to be enough. To much and everything will be dyed blue. I can usually tell when they are about to lay egss as the go nuts all over the tank. They have layed them on filter tube, the glass, on leaves of plants and even an angel fish breeding slate. BTW you can also use Marycin as an anti fungal agent also and may be more available at local store. I use a 5 or 10 gal set up just for the eggs as I pull the parents after the layed them.The tank is basically barebottom with a few river rock types stones in it.They are about the size of a quarter and nickle as the fry hide out sometimes to feel safe. The net idea is a good one others also use.Cycled tank,clean water,Meth blue/marycin, cycled sponge or corner filter, stones on bottom and you should be good to go. I find pulling parents most times works for me.I miss more drops than Iget but thats ok as they will do it again sometimes as fast as 2 weeks apart. The Planet Catfish site has great info on any type of catfish and how to breed them. Let us know how you do and it can be tricky but easy. its so different for everyone and no golden rules so sit back and enjoy the ride.
Take care
Mick
Old 03-23-2009, 10:00 PM

If you use the methylene blue in the same tank with a sponge filter it will kill the bacteria in the sponge....It is best to allow the eggs to hatch in a totally bare tank with a few drops of methylene blue then transfer the swimming young to the fry rearing tank with the rocks and sponge filter.