Forums  
  Discussion  
    Tim's Web Quiz  
    Tim's Web Puzzles  
  Polls - Freshwater  
  Polls - Saltwater  

Go Back   Tropical Fish Forum . Net > General Aquarium Care > Filters and Powerheads

Filters and Powerheads Questions and comments about aquarium filters and powerheads

Old 03-16-2009, 12:20 AM

Default Is this ok?

I have a 3 gallon Tetra acrylic tank that came with a Whisper internal filter made for 2-10 gallon tanks. I have a male betta with very long fins I plan on putting in it once it is cycled. Does anyone have experience with this tank and filter as to whether or not it would be too powerful for my betta?

This will be my first aquarium, so I`m trying to do it right. Thanks!!
Old 03-16-2009, 10:23 PM

Default Re: Is this ok?

It should be fine. They do like a little water flow, so it shouldn't bother him. Good size tank too, he will appreciate it.

Best Regards,
Norm
Old 03-17-2009, 02:03 PM

Thank you, Norm!

I saw this tank on sale at WalMart, and while I don`t care for their fishkeeping too much, this tank was on clearance for $15.00, (normally $30.00)and I couldn`t pass it up. It came with a filter as well as a decoration that, after a little doctoring, should be just fine to put in with my betta.

I just wish they weren`t so aggressive with each other, because I`ve seen so many more I would have liked to bring home! Just don`t have room for that many tanks. I actually have 2 bettas, so they will both have bigger tanks once I can get them cycled.
Old 03-17-2009, 05:32 PM

Wow, I wonder if all the Wal-Marts are selling them that cheap, because I want to pick one up for my daughter who wants or should I say is getting a Betta. Is it the Water Wonders one?That is a great deal. Thanks for the heads up.

Norm
Old 03-23-2009, 12:29 AM

It is a Tetra acrylic 3 gallon. It is oval shaped, not rectangular like most tanks.

I was debating on getting the last one they had, and decided against it, and when I went back, it was gone. I opted for a glass 5 gallon for $29.97 that has hood, filter, etc. It`s an AquaCulture Home Aquarium Starter Kit 5.

I thought that was still a pretty decent price. This was the regular price, not on clearance like the Tetra.
Old 03-23-2009, 05:58 AM

Sounds like you did just fine
Old 03-23-2009, 01:39 PM

your tank sounds ideal to me,and yes they do like alittle flow,In my past expereince,1 female better is enough for a house mate and some tettras if you are thinkig of adding any more mates.my bettas used to always like an ornamernt to sit on, that reached the top of the tank almost ,as Ibelieve they can breath in air,and used to sit at the top of the pump,they love flowing through little holes of ornaments, but nothing sharp,also if you have a female one make sure she has some hiding coverage should she want to hide from him,incase he hassels her from time to time , glass tanks are always the best to buy in my opinion,enjoy the little fellow he will be fascinating to watch.
Old 03-24-2009, 10:29 AM

I did buy him a little bridge that he will be able to swim under. I did check it for sharp edges, and found a few, so I will be dremeling those off before I put it in with him. Got some silk plants also.