Forums  
  Discussion  
    Tim's Web Quiz  
    Tim's Web Puzzles  
  Polls - Freshwater  
  Polls - Saltwater  

Go Back   Tropical Fish Forum . Net > Freshwater Tropical Fish Discussion > Bettas

Bettas Questions and comments about bettas

Old 03-16-2009, 02:02 AM

Default Recommendations on proper keeping of Betta fish.

I am interested in getting a betta fish, and I was wondering on what is the best way to keep them. Whether it be in a plain jane fish bowl or in a small aquarium? Filter or not? I have literally no idea on any of this with them and any suggestions would be great. Thanks for whoever wants to help!
Old 03-16-2009, 04:47 AM

Default Re: Recommendations on proper keeping of Betta fish.

The bigger the container the better.....Bettas are tropical fish and should be kept at tropical fish temperatures 24/7 (76 to 80*F)....The container should be large enough to put in a mini heater...Some sort of filtration would be beneficial also.
Old 03-16-2009, 05:06 AM

Okay, thank you very much Dano. I am going to begin the search for one tomorrow. Hopefully I will find something and won't spend more money than I can afford haha.
Old 03-16-2009, 10:22 PM

Should at least be between 2-4 gallon. Depending what you want to spend, you can find something inexpensive at Wal-Mart, most come with some form of filtration that needs an air pump which is fine. Different pet stores sell a small 7.5 heater that is perfect. Good luck

Best Regards,
Norm
Old 03-17-2009, 03:49 PM

Ideally, IMO, 5 gallons is perfect. Heated (80 degrees F), and filtered.

They're fine alone; they don't need tankmates. An interesting enviornment keeps them from being bored. Live plants or silk artifical is perfect; if using plastic plants make sure there aren't any sharp edges or it could rip their fins.

Floating pellets seem to work better than flakes....

5 Gallon Hex:
Crowntail Betta
Old 03-17-2009, 06:45 PM

thanks for all the suggestions guys! I think I have found the tank I am going to get. It's a 5 gallon tank with an internal filter so that there is some low current in the water. As soon as it is cycled then the hunt is directed to the right Betta fish. Any suggestions on what kind of Betta I should get? Male, Female, etc.?
Old 03-19-2009, 01:40 AM

I found a nice five gallon aquarium at Kmart. Its light is behind plastic and doesn't corrode; if you keep the light on, it will maintain a water temp of roughly 76-78 degrees F. It has a hood. The only filter it comes with is an UGF though. No room for one on the back because the hood is solid. I dont use the UGF and just do weekly water changes.
10 gallon assort guppies & platy
3 - 3 gallons 1 betta each
1 - 75 gallon - 2 raphael catfish, 1 melanistus cory, 5 trilineatus, 3 kuhlis, 10 diamond tetras, 5 albino danios, 7 panda cory
Old 03-19-2009, 04:43 AM

If you keep the light on 24/7 you may wind up with a lot of algae and also stress the Betta......You will still need a reliable heater to keep the tank steady at 76 to 80*F.....One should never rely on lighting to maintain tank temperatures...

Last edited by Dano : 03-19-2009 at 04:57 PM.
Old 03-20-2009, 10:41 PM

Have you kept fish before? You might want to keep it out of sunlight so that algae that Dano was talking about won't build up even more. Also keep the Betta tank away from areas of high trafficing and something that might cause stress to the fish (e.i. kitchen, hallways frequently used, etc.) I keep my Betta in a 10 gallon which is quite large but to not take up too much space, a 5 gallon would do.

To answer your questions about males or females. Males have longer fins and i believe are more prone to fin rot (tell me if i'm wrong someone). They however are more beautiful and more intresting to enjoy. All bettas have different personalities, some may be anger, or some might be curious, or happy. You get the flow.

I think that filteration for the fish is a good idea for a starter fish keeper. Get the filter and tank you were talking about and make sure there are no leaks and that everything works well. Let the tank sit for about 2 weeks or less, until all the water paraments drop. By then you can add your fish. I suggest that you buy the fish when your tank is ready. The filter keeps your water flowing and clean. Also make sure that everything works with the filter and there is enough flow of water and it isn't too loud because it should be on all the time.

That's all i have for now. Please feel free to ask questions.
"Speak your mind, even if your voice shakes."
-Maggie Kuhn
Old 03-24-2009, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by engleman View Post
thanks for all the suggestions guys! I think I have found the tank I am going to get. It's a 5 gallon tank with an internal filter so that there is some low current in the water. As soon as it is cycled then the hunt is directed to the right Betta fish. Any suggestions on what kind of Betta I should get? Male, Female, etc.?

Picking the actual fish is the hard part. We looked for one that was responsive; with good finnage, then we went for color.

Males are fancier, but I think both have a similar range of personality.

You're likely to see the color of the one you bring home really improve shortly after settling in; and you'll see the fish become pretty active once he/she builds up strength.

5 Gallon Hex:
Crowntail Betta