Forums  
  Discussion  
    Tim's Web Quiz  
    Tim's Web Puzzles  
  Polls - Freshwater  
  Polls - Saltwater  

Go Back   Tropical Fish Forum . Net > General Aquarium Care > Filters and Powerheads

Filters and Powerheads Questions and comments about aquarium filters and powerheads

Old 04-19-2009, 12:56 AM

Default Undergravel filter

Hey guys. Well my 30g's been running well for a while now although i lost my plec a few weeks ago. I have been using an undergravel filter in this tank that i'v never used before and iv got to say i think its rubbish!! I use a gravel syphon and thoroughly mix it up when doing changes and it just looks constantly dirty! The water is also only clear for a few days after a water change. So iv had enuf and goin to add an internal filter.
Old 04-19-2009, 04:47 AM

Default Re: Undergravel filter

You should never mix up the gravel when vacuuming particularly over an undergravel filter....Skim the top of the gravel to get the debris sitting on top then only do small areas with a little deeper vacuuming at each water change.....You are only stirring up fine particles when you mix it up.....Make sure you are not over feeding.....If the gravel grains are too big or the gravel is too thin a layer, debris will be pulled quickly through the UGF and back into the water column......This is also stressful to the beneficial bacteria in the gravel.

Last edited by Dano : 04-19-2009 at 04:55 AM.