Forums  
  Discussion  
    Tim's Web Quiz  
    Tim's Web Puzzles  
  Polls - Freshwater  
  Polls - Saltwater  

Go Back   Tropical Fish Forum . Net > General Aquarium Care > DIY (Do It Yourself)

DIY (Do It Yourself) Provide ideas for building your own equipment, tanks and decorations

Old ,

Default PVC cave

I recently saw on the net a neat cave a person can make out of a simple piece of PVC pipe. You cover it with aquarium epoxy and then aquarium stones. You can hardly see it in your aquarium if you use the same colored stones as in your tank.
Old ,

Default Re: PVC cave

That sounds like a great idea! I bet it looks very natural if done properly. What site did you find this information from?
Old ,

I saw it on About.com but it's no longer there. It was on one of their pages that gets replaced every now and then with something else.

The one they had even had several openings along the pipe for coming and going but I can't see myself that handy with a saw. You'd definately want to make sure you use a piece of pipe nothing can get caught in and thefish have room to swim past one another. I would suggest several shorter pipes than one long one.
Old ,

I've been trying to come up with something creative to make a cave out of. So far PVC piping seems like the best/easiest option, but I find that caves made out of PVC looks a little fake. I've seen a couple of good ones after doing a google search of do-it-yourself projects though.

Here's a good one that seems large and doesn't look too fake... the pipe could be probably be sawed to make the holes more natural looking: http://aquarium.shuru.com/

And here's a great site that provides a list of links for good do-it-yourself projects (caves, equipment, tanks, stands, etc.):
http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/diy_list.php
Old ,

If I decide to do a PVC cave, or make up my own project, I will be sure to do a little write-up with pictures and post it here for other people to get ideas.
Old ,

I was just reading the article on the link above about the guy who built his own plywood tank, he's a braver man than I am!!
Old ,

here I googled it (I Love google) hopfully

Old ,

I thought of a design, but it would cost almost $30 and tank up about 7" by 5" by 10" and thats a big portion of the tank for me. Plus, I dont trust my handy work with the lives of anything lol. But my idea had 3 pvc tunnels interwound in a styrophone rock. Each cave would serve a different purpose. One for a boddom feeder to hide in and get away from annoying tank mates. One for hide and go seek amongs fish liek barbs, and one for fish like neans. I would use 45degree elbow joints and piping with these three sizes: 3/4, 1, 1 1/4. The problem with this is that there might be trafic if one goes in the in and one goes in the out, but that can be solved if there was a 45degree T fitting, but i havent found one.

6.6g = 1 male fancy guppy and fry.
Old ,

I just want to thank you for the directions for the PCV cave. I purchased all the material and am well on my way to haveing a beautiful cave for my tank. My next project will be to find some stoned to make a bridge. It's a lot of fun makeing ones own decorations. I am going to start makeing decorations for all the seasons, holidays. Wouldn't it be great to have a Christmas, New Year, Halloween, Canada Day etc. them. I no the fish couldn't care but it would keep the tank interesting.
________
easy vape

Last edited by sandygirl : at .
Old ,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gillian View Post

And here's a great site that provides a list of links for good do-it-yourself projects (caves, equipment, tanks, stands, etc.):
http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/diy_list.php

Thanks Gillian, great site..know I am really excited to try a few things myself