Forums  
  Discussion  
    Tim's Web Quiz  
    Tim's Web Puzzles  
  Polls - Freshwater  
  Polls - Saltwater  

Go Back   Tropical Fish Forum . Net > Freshwater Tropical Fish Discussion > Barbs and Danios

Barbs and Danios Questions and comments about barbs and danios.

Old 11-28-2006, 07:41 PM

Default tiger barb community

hi im gettting a 55 gallon aquarium for christmas and was wondering wht can i put with a school of tiger barbs and do u have an idea of how many barbs can i get aslo do u think i can get an oscar or two??
Old 12-10-2006, 12:05 AM
Super Moderator

Default Re: tiger barb community

Sorry is this the same ? as stocking my 55 Gall. tank maybe i should have replied in that one

I think 10 tiger barbs would fit very comfortably they grow approx. 3 " but they can be aggressive and nippy so you can't really keep them with long-finned or slower fish. Maybe a redtailed shark for something different or some Rosy barbs - did you want all Barbs?

Oscars aren't compatible with Tigers (probably will get eaten) - Oscars can grow to 10-13" and can get aggressive - IMO only 1 oscar would fit in 55 gall. they can be kept singly but prefer to be in pairs.

Last edited by Bernie : 12-10-2006 at 06:26 AM.
Old 12-10-2006, 06:16 AM

Yah I think a single red tailed or rainbow shark would go nicely with a large school of tiger barbs. Instead of a large oscar, try looking into smaller semi-aggressive cichlids. A medium-sized pleco would also make a nice addition. Everyone likes sucker fish :3
Old 03-27-2007, 02:04 AM

i noticed when i got my first 10 gallon tank i added 4 tiger barbs. then added a few more fish slightly after. my tiger barbs got very agressive because they were first in and were semi agressive fish and got tertorial. they are nice as not beginf added in first. i would get someting ( tinfoil barb ) if you want a bard community

"IMO only 1 oscar would fit in 55 gall. they can be kept singly but prefer to be in pairs."

oscars shoul be in a minamum of a 75 gallon tank, but they peffer pairs fo 2 in a 100 gallon. . . . . . . . . .
Old 12-17-2007, 05:32 PM

I have a 20g, and i have one tigar and one green tigar, i plan to put 2 more green and one more tigar, will 5 be enough to keep them occupied with eachother and not bother my few other fish? Also i will be buyiing them as babies and adding them in about a week at a time, will this split up the school or cause any aggression?
Old 12-20-2007, 05:53 PM

Adding to the school a week at a time will be fine, I have a community of 23 barbs that was built up several at a time and there was never any hint of a problem adding newbies. You take a risk with only 5, 8 is considered the minimum number to best ensure they leave other fish alone, but there is never any guarantee with them and most keepers believe they are best in a species tank.
90 Gallon...7 Tiger , 11 Green and 4 Albino Barbs, a Rainbow Shark and flying foxes
Old 12-20-2007, 07:00 PM

I just added the rest of the baby barbd, and they are doing great sofar! They all school together and are leaving everyhtign else alone sofar

6.6g = 1 male fancy guppy and fry.
Old 12-21-2007, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasandjules View Post
Adding to the school a week at a time will be fine, I have a community of 23 barbs that was built up several at a time and there was never any hint of a problem adding newbies. You take a risk with only 5, 8 is considered the minimum number to best ensure they leave other fish alone, but there is never any guarantee with them and most keepers believe they are best in a species tank.

That said, I am toying with the idea of getting a rainbow shark this weekend!
90 Gallon...7 Tiger , 11 Green and 4 Albino Barbs, a Rainbow Shark and flying foxes
Old 12-21-2007, 05:35 PM

from what i hear, i was going to get one, but i heard from numourouse peopel that they jump out of the tank by the filter and heater. They need a 2nd to fight with or else will eat the other fish, but if you get a socond, eventually one has to die because they are extreemly taritirial.

6.6g = 1 male fancy guppy and fry.
Old 12-21-2007, 06:05 PM

They need to be kept singularly or in groups of at least six as they do not tolerate their own kind.