Forums  
  Discussion  
    Tim's Web Quiz  
    Tim's Web Puzzles  
  Polls - Freshwater  
  Polls - Saltwater  

Go Back   Tropical Fish Forum . Net > General Aquarium Care > DIY (Do It Yourself)

DIY (Do It Yourself) Provide ideas for building your own equipment, tanks and decorations

Old ,

Default Re: Making adaptations to a syphon hose

I have a python as well. Do you all also add water to your tank with it or not. Im just wondering because it goes directly to the tank without the chlorine being treated yet. But if you do put water from your sink directly to your tank do the fish get affected instantly or do you have time to add the water treatment.
Old ,

Hi Bernie.
You probably already know this but if you take you syphon hose and submerge it in your aquarium until it fills with water all you will have to do to get the syphon started is put your thumb over the sink end of the hose and walk over to the sink, or put it in the bucket, and remove your thumb. There you have it, syphonage without the yuck factor. Works just fine unless you have an extremly long hose, so, if you use a garden hose just turn on the fawcet untill water trickles out the end of the hose to fill it, then put that end in the aquarium and go back outside and remove the other hose end from the fawcet and you are syphoning with plenty of suction. No yuck here either. Maybe Sharon can find something useful here too.
Regards, Sardine.
Old ,

Quote:
Originally Posted by geese View Post
I have a python as well. Do you all also add water to your tank with it or not. Im just wondering because it goes directly to the tank without the chlorine being treated yet. But if you do put water from your sink directly to your tank do the fish get affected instantly or do you have time to add the water treatment.

Sorry, I seem to have missed this post. Yes, I do add water to all tanks, using the python. I add a good dechlorinator, just before I start adding the water...haven't had any problems!

5 gal... Robin, (Betta)
5 gal...Pete, (Betta)
5 gal...Scotty(Betta)
10 gal...Female Betta Sororiety
10 gal... Neons, Glolights and Cardinals, 1 Oto
10 gal... Ram Pair
29 gal... Mbuna Tank
29 gal... Krib Pair, Tiger Barbs, Tetras, 2 Otos
55 gal...5 Australian Rainbows, 1 Angel Fish, 1 Blue Gourami, 6 Congo Tetras, 1 Leopard Ctenopoma, 1 Clown Pleco, 1 UpsideDown Catfish,5 Otos, 1 Bronze Cory, 2 Peppered Cories,2 Panda Cories
Old ,

Hi Sharon,

This is what works for me without having to move full buckets of water. I can clean gravel, syphon water and fill tank without moving any water.

I use the following ...
1 x 100lt plastic container, 1 x gravel hose, 1 x garden hose, 1 x modified hang over filler/syphon with on/off gate valve made out of black sprinkler system hosing.

Firstly, i attach the garden hose to the hang over device and turn valve on and run water through to get all the air out and once i have a constant stream of water, i turn the valve off. I then hang it over the tank and turn it on to a trickle.

Then I use the gravel hose and start cleaning and the water then goes into the 100lt container. As the water level drops, I increase the water flow into the tank by opening the gate valve a bit more. This keeps the water level above my power head outlets.

Once I've finished cleaning gravel, i remove the gravel hose and let the tank fill. By now I have a fairly heavy and half full 100lt container of syphoned tank water with crap from the gravel. Once the tank is full, i turn the gate valve off, remove the hang over and place it in the 100lt container.

Now, I turn the hose off at the tap, then turn on the gate valve at the hang over and that releases whatever water pressure is in the hose. I submerge the hang over completely in my 100lt container, unclip the hose at the tap end and out comes the water from the 100lt container. I can water my lawn, water the plants ... whatever i want. After about 10-15mins, the 100lt containers is empty and i haven't physically moved a drop of water.

Hope this helps

Ian

20gal breeding tank
Female Black Convict
Hundreds of fry

10gal breeding tank
Male Crowntail Betta
Lots of fry

10gal
3 x Guppies, 1 x Swordtail

2 x female bettas and 1 x male in their own containers.
Old ,

Pretty ingenous, Ian....wish I'd known that before I bought the python(although I do love it)...

5 gal... Robin, (Betta)
5 gal...Pete, (Betta)
5 gal...Scotty(Betta)
10 gal... Ram Pair
29 gal... Mbuna Tank
55 gal...5 Australian Rainbows, 1 Angel Fish, 1 Blue Gourami, 6 Congo Tetras, 1 Leopard Ctenopoma, 1 Clown Pleco, 1 UpsideDown Catfish,5 Otos, 1 Bronze Cory, 2 Peppered Cories,2 Panda Cories
Old ,

what python ( snake) or something else.

"The road to success is dotted with many tempting parking spaces."
Old ,

Hi Sharon & Bernie. I just stumbled on to this thread. I wish either one of you where close to me I would give you My ULTIMATE GRAVEL VAC it goes direct from the Aquarium to sink to syphon water out of the Aquarium. Then it reverses and fills the Aquarium. It is 50 ft. long and in thory sounded good. Well when I tryed it I had water from the tank in the livingroom to the kitchen on the carpet and floor. That was on draining, didn't try to fill the tank. It's back in the box and I use a simple syphon vacume hose and carry water. Just another one of my many experiences in fish keeping. I have arthritice bad so I just take smaller water changes. I do know that once you get water running it will run uphill. It is the law of gravity. What goes up must come down. I bet there are people on the forum that no how to make it happen.
________
Chrysler R platform specifications

Last edited by sandygirl : at .
Old ,

I'm having trouble with my 25ft python. Stupid me did not measure before my purchase and I found out that I can not reach the bottom of the 55g tank from my kitchen sink to syphon the gravel. I can add water to the tank which does save on lugging 3 buckets of water. Now I need to order an exstension, another $20.00 or more w/ shipping. We have a window near close enough to the tank to stick the python out the window to suck the water out at the bottom of the tank but I had a very hard time getting the syphon to work and once I stopped the water flow I could not get it going again (tank water to low?).

Something else I do not like is python does not have nothing on the end of the syphon tube to stop the gravel or worse from going up the tube.

Anyone have any tips for me?
10g- ramshorn & pond snails,3 neon tetras, cherry shrimp
10g- QT tank-empty
2.5- QT tank- nerita,amano,anacharis
TTF Album
TPF Gallery
Old ,

Stormy...Go to a Hardware store( I went to an Automotive Parts Supply Store) and purchase flexible clear plastic tubing to suit whatever length you need. Take your Gravel vac with you, so you get the right size hose.....
Sandy...I'd say the connections weren't tight. If you can't tighten, get someone else to do it. I'd never manage without my system, because of arthritis, fibromyalgia, and injury. It's a shame to leave it in the box.......

5 gal... Robin, (Betta)
5 gal...Pete, (Betta)
5 gal...Scotty(Betta)
10 gal... Ram Pair
29 gal... Mbuna Tank
Old ,

I hang mine over the shower head so both ends drain completely.