Forums  
  Discussion  
    Tim's Web Quiz  
    Tim's Web Puzzles  
  Polls - Freshwater  
  Polls - Saltwater  

Go Back   Tropical Fish Forum . Net > General Aquarium Care > Gravel and Decorations

Gravel and Decorations Questions and comments about gravel and decorations

Old 03-08-2007, 06:37 PM

Default Sand!

is it save to use playpit sand?
Old 03-09-2007, 01:18 AM

Default Re: Sand!

Yes, but silica sand is better. Playsand is readilly available in bags in stores like Home Depot, but make sure it is not damp or smells wierd before you buy it. Play sand has a lot of dust and clay in it, so it will take more effort to wash it prior to going in the tank, and it will probably remain cloudy for longer.

Sand is a lot different than gravel, and there are some precautions to take before switching. Some fish like goldfish can not be housed in sand because they like to dig through it, clouding up the tank. You MUST buy some malasian trapdoor snails for the sand. Without them, toxic air pockets will form in the sand. The mts will continuously dig through the sand to prevent this, but they are asexual so you will end up with many! I recomend buying a couple loaches after you have too many to keep the population in check. Filters can be a problem too. You can not use undergravel filters here, and the intake tube should be in the upper half of the tank to avoid sucking up sand. Check the filter's regularly for sand, especially when you first set up because it can potentially fry the motor. To do a water change, hover the syphon a 1/2" or so above the sand.

If you are switching from gravel to sand, read the thread below this and changing gravel. Follow the same instructions
Old 03-09-2007, 07:12 PM

Talking Re: Sand!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleHippyGirl View Post
Yes, but silica sand is better. Playsand is readilly available in bags in stores like Home Depot, but make sure it is not damp or smells wierd before you buy it. Play sand has a lot of dust and clay in it, so it will take more effort to wash it prior to going in the tank, and it will probably remain cloudy for longer.

Sand is a lot different than gravel, and there are some precautions to take before switching. Some fish like goldfish can not be housed in sand because they like to dig through it, clouding up the tank. You MUST buy some malasian trapdoor snails for the sand. Without them, toxic air pockets will form in the sand. The mts will continuously dig through the sand to prevent this, but they are asexual so you will end up with many! I recomend buying a couple loaches after you have too many to keep the population in check. Filters can be a problem too. You can not use undergravel filters here, and the intake tube should be in the upper half of the tank to avoid sucking up sand. Check the filter's regularly for sand, especially when you first set up because it can potentially fry the motor. To do a water change, hover the syphon a 1/2" or so above the sand.

If you are switching from gravel to sand, read the thread below this and changing gravel. Follow the same instructions
I already have sand in one of my juwel tanks (inch of gravel topped with 1 inch of sand) and have had no problem with it getting into the filter, I also have malasian snails, they are cool! I have heard that undergravel filters are not worth bying!
Old 03-09-2007, 11:28 PM
Super Moderator

Sounds good what you have and are doing djceri_g and playground/playpit sand is safe because it has been treated so that it is safe for humans. I agree with Hippy, that it does need to be rinsed more carefully before adding it though.

What type of sand are you using djceri_g? A good tip about sand is that if you notice the sand turning a very dark colour, that is a sign of over feeding and the sand will need to be removed and washed.

Last edited by Bernie : 03-10-2007 at 12:56 AM.
Old 03-10-2007, 02:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djceri_g View Post
I already have sand in one of my juwel tanks (inch of gravel topped with 1 inch of sand) and have had no problem with it getting into the filter, I also have malasian snails, they are cool! I have heard that undergravel filters are not worth bying!

Haha, yah I don't like undergravel filters much myself either They aren't very effective.
Old 03-10-2007, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleHippyGirl View Post
Haha, yah I don't like undergravel filters much myself either They aren't very effective.
My plans if I get this big tank is to put 1nch of eco cpmplete topped with sand. roughtly how much of each will i need for a 180L tank??
Old 03-10-2007, 11:36 PM
Super Moderator

For Eco complete, a general estimate is to use .5 to 1 kg per gallon of water, (1 gall. is approx. 3.75 or 3.85 ltres).

IMO I wouldn't use the sand as well because the sand granules being much smaller, will eventually end up at the bottom anyway and may just become a nuisance and won't be able to compact together as sand normally does.
Old 03-11-2007, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie View Post
For Eco complete, a general estimate is to use .5 to 1 kg per gallon of water, (1 gall. is approx. 3.75 or 3.85 ltres).

IMO I wouldn't use the sand as well because the sand granules being much smaller, will eventually end up at the bottom anyway and may just become a nuisance and won't be able to compact together as sand normally does.
I see what you mean. but wouldn't It still feed the plants if the sand mixes up with eco complete? What colour is eco complete? I love sand and dont think Id go back to gravel. The fish seems to be happier with sand!
Old 03-12-2007, 06:55 AM
Super Moderator

It would still feed the plants sure, but you don't really need any other substrate if using eco complete - and it is black gravel type substrate so I'm not sure how it would look having both. Here is some info/pic on eco complete that might help you decide if you want to use it with sand, and the sand definitely wouldn't look or stay the same as it is now if you mixed them both.

http://www.carib-sea.com/pages/produ...shplanted.html
http://www.aquariumguys.com/ecocomplete.html

Last edited by Bernie : 03-12-2007 at 06:57 AM.
Old 03-12-2007, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie View Post
It would still feed the plants sure, but you don't really need any other substrate if using eco complete - and it is black gravel type substrate so I'm not sure how it would look having both. Here is some info/pic on eco complete that might help you decide if you want to use it with sand, and the sand definitely wouldn't look or stay the same as it is now if you mixed them both.

http://www.carib-sea.com/pages/produ...shplanted.html
http://www.aquariumguys.com/ecocomplete.html
Thanks for that. It just seems its very expencive to fill a big tank just with this stuff! need it quite think got the plants to stay down