Forums  
  Discussion  
    Tim's Web Quiz  
    Tim's Web Puzzles  
  Polls - Freshwater  
  Polls - Saltwater  

Go Back   Tropical Fish Forum . Net > Freshwater Tropical Fish Discussion > Tropical Fish Compatibility

Tropical Fish Compatibility Questions and comments about compatibility

Old 04-29-2007, 09:42 PM

Default What goes well with Angelfish

Hi everyone

Just after some advice.

I've a 30G tank, which has become a bit depeleted and am wanting to build it up again.

I really want to have a community tank with a pair if Angelfish (not sure if should have 4). I'm not after having much else in the tank, but what else work?

Any suggestions welcome.

cuppa

PS Sorry I've posted this here, I'm new to the site and didn't see the compability forum.

Last edited by cuppa72 : 04-30-2007 at 11:29 AM. Reason: Couldn't of posted elsewhere
Old 05-08-2007, 05:13 AM

Arrow Re: What goes well with Angelfish

Hi there! The thing is that Angels grow quite big and require their own space. So 4 Angels is a lot for 30 gallons. One is better. The thing is that Angels can pair off, and then become agressive to the other fish around. Big Tetras can fit nice with Angels like Buenos Aires, Diamondheads, BlackSkirts, and Cherry Barbs (please not TigerBarbs). Hope this helps

"It's better being happy than being right"
Old 01-11-2008, 10:00 AM

Default Re: What goes well with Angelfish

I have a zebra angel that has lived quite happily with a yo yo loach and 2 clown loaches. Today I added a gold gourami and it and the angel have chased each other around quite a bit. Not sure if they'll grow to accept each other. I would like to add some guppies, rasboras or tetras. Can anyone tell me if that would work?
Old 01-11-2008, 01:22 PM

Hi Jan ...The Angel and the Gourami is probably not going to work. I wouldn't get Guppies either. The Tetras (not Neons or Cardinals) and the Rasboras should be fine...Hope this helps!

5 gal... Robin, (Betta)
5 gal...Pete, (Betta)
5 gal...Scotty(Betta)
10 gal...Female Betta Sororiety
10 gal... Neons, Glolights and Cardinals, 1 Oto
10 gal... Ram Pair
29 gal... Mbuna Tank
29 gal... Krib Pair, Tiger Barbs, Tetras, 2 Otos
55 gal...5 Australian Rainbows, 1 Angel Fish, 1 Blue Gourami, 6 Congo Tetras, 1 Leopard Ctenopoma, 1 Clown Pleco, 1 UpsideDown Catfish,5 Otos, 1 Bronze Cory, 2 Peppered Cories,2 Panda Cories
Old 01-11-2008, 09:26 PM

I have two angles one is a zebra and the other is a marble.

My angles are good with my corys and mollys. They dont do good with fish smaller than them like guppys and neon tetras, and dont put them in with fish like bettas, Trust me they tore his fins up.

Beware fish like tiger barbs and agressive cichlids, they tend to be nippy.
10 gallon: Krib fry!!!
8 gallon: 1 Male betta
Neoblaze (Aka Cole )
Old 01-12-2008, 04:06 AM

Well some Angelfish are not as aggresive as alot of people think. I suggest

. The larger Semi Agressive gouramis,such as Kissing Gouramis

. Larger Catfish

. Cardinal Tetras

. Ram Cichlids

. Some Plecos ( depends on the pleco )

. Sometimes platys

. Less agressive barbs

. Loaches

Remember angelfish are shy fish,so fast swimming fish will not work,and may stress the fish.
Old 01-12-2008, 08:35 AM

Angel fish can be agressive!! If you want to keep them in a comunity tank, start with small ones. Mix them with fish that will be approximately their size. Most people will want two angels, but it is best in the long run to have only one. Angels will fight each other for dominance and if you can put up with it you can keep several (six if you hope to get a mating pair). These are fish that I have kept with angels and other less agressive cichlids: serpae tetra, bleeding heart tetra, blackfin tetra, congo tetra, barbs, pencil fish, leperinus, rams, krebensis, firemouth, festivum, port cichlid, keyhole cichlid, metynnis, pacu, discus, dwarf and full sized gourami, hatchet fish, almost any kind of catfish, most large live bearers. I believe this list should give you some ideas, but there still can be agressive actions no matter what you mix. The bigger the tank the better with lots of hiding places. Ps.....I have never seen shy angelfish.
Old 01-13-2008, 12:04 AM
Super Moderator

Yes I agree that they are not shy, but they are slower than other fish & can definitely be aggressive. They will eat smaller fish partically if underfed & because they have small mouths it takes them longer to eat so other fish may get most of the food, so I personnally would keep them in a tank to themselves. Because of their long finnage they are also prone to get nipped by other nippy fish.
Old 10-14-2008, 05:22 AM

Smile Re: What goes well with Angelfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuppa72 View Post
Hi everyone

Just after some advice.

I've a 30G tank, which has become a bit depeleted and am wanting to build it up again.

I really want to have a community tank with a pair if Angelfish (not sure if should have 4). I'm not after having much else in the tank, but what else work?

Any suggestions welcome.

cuppa

PS Sorry I've posted this here, I'm new to the site and didn't see the compability forum.
The Angelfish should be kept in groups of 4 and is compatible with the Altum Angelfish, Bala Shark, Black Skirt Tetra, Blind Cave Tetra, Blood Parrot Cichlid, Chinese High Fin, Chocolate Zebra Pleco L270, Congo Tetra, Corydoras Catfish, Diamond Tetra, Dwarf Gourami, Flash Pleco L204, Gardneri Killifish, Giant Gourami, Glass Fish, Honey Gourami, King Tiger Pleco L066, Kissing Gourami, Lemon Spotted Green Pleco L200, Leopard Pleco L114, Molly, Pearl Gourami, Peppermint Pleco L030, Queen Arabesque Pleco L260, Serpae Tetra, Silver Dollar, Silver Hatchetfish, Silver Tip Tetra, Starlight Bristlenose Pleco L183, Sunshine Pleco L014, Three Spot Gourami, Zebra Pleco L046,
Old 10-14-2008, 08:33 PM

hi there i have a marble angel a large discus 3 swordtails 2 mollies 3 platies 2 plecs 2 catfish and 3 baby female fighters and they all get on rather well together