Forums  
  Discussion  
    Tim's Web Quiz  
    Tim's Web Puzzles  
  Polls - Freshwater  
  Polls - Saltwater  

Go Back   Tropical Fish Forum . Net > Freshwater Tropical Fish Discussion > Livebearers

Livebearers Questions and comments about livebearers

Old 06-17-2007, 01:42 AM
Super Moderator

Exclamation Livebearers and Aquarium Salt!

Do Livebearers need Salt? – The age old question that is often asked but may never fully be resolved, but in my opinion the answer is - NO they do not, in general most common livebearers i.e. Molly, guppy, platy and Swordtails, with proper water conditions, diet & not overstocking, do very well without it, but what they do need is hard water to thrive, and do not do as well in Soft water. They are freshwater fish & the addition of salt isn't necessary.
Salt is best only used as a tonic for sick fish, which should always be done in a quarantine tank and not in the community tank.

Some species such as Sailfin Mollies do prefer salt YES, but again it isn’t really necessary. If you are going to use salt, it can only be used in a species specific tank – not a community tank, as most freshwater fish definitely don’t need or cannot tolerate salt and it will be harmful to the other fish if used continuously.

When first using salt for your Livebearers it is best to introduce the salt slowly over time to get them acclimated to it, and you need to remember to check the salinity of the tank regularly because the only way to remove salt from a tank is by water changes as salt doesn't evaporate or get absorbed, so when doing p.w.changes you need to make sure that the salt added is the right measurement for the amount of water you are replacing, or the salt will build up and become harmful.

The measurement of salt is usually 1 teaspoon per 3 ltrs or 1 tablespoon for every 5 galls. but Livebearers are a very diverse group and each species requires their own specific conditions to thrive, so doing your research into the particular species of Livebearer you want to keep is absolutely necessary.

Here is an interesting article that might shed some light on this question.

http://www.afae.it/pages/tematica/ar...alt_debate.htm

Hope this info. is useful !

Last edited by Bernie : 02-02-2008 at 12:29 AM.
Old 04-22-2008, 11:13 AM

Default Re: Livebearers and Aquarium Salt!

I never put salt in and my mollies were fine, but i decided to make the water slightly brackish when i bough 3 platties that were raised in that kind of water, i compared my molllies to the pet store ones and mine are a good inch smaller and they've reached maturity, but i doubt salt had anything to do with that
Old 04-22-2008, 08:55 PM

Sometimes I think this stuff is just to get people to buy things from the shop.
Old 04-22-2008, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquaman#1 View Post
Sometimes I think this stuff is just to get people to buy things from the shop.

too some extent, but they wouldnt sell anything that would hurt the fish, so if nothing else it gives you a false sense that you are trying to better the lives of your fish which is comforting.
Old 04-22-2008, 09:50 PM

From what I have read guppies and mollies are both brackish fish. I'm no expert. I just know what I read and there is a lot of miss-information out there. I really don't know.

I saw some BEAUTIFUL yellow and white mollies at wal mart. I WAS so Tempted. I resisted because the tag said they are brackish fish and no Q tank. If my puffers were not so aggressive I might have been able to add some mollies.
10g- ramshorn & pond snails,3 neon tetras, cherry shrimp
10g- QT tank-empty
2.5- QT tank- nerita,amano,anacharis
TTF Album
TPF Gallery

Last edited by StormySkiez : 04-22-2008 at 09:57 PM.
Old 04-22-2008, 09:55 PM

Stormie.........re read the link posted in Bernies post. I hope you change your mind about brackish/not brackish.
Old 04-22-2008, 10:42 PM

I read it. Pretty confusing info on the net and at the fish stores. Like my orange bee shrimp for instance... Some say they are brackish some say they are fresh water. I have lost one little guy already. OK, most mollies do not ever see brackish water in the wild according to that article. To bad everyone does not give out the same info on the same species. To me the fish world can be very difficult to learn. By no means am I knocking what Bernie said or the article.
10g- ramshorn & pond snails,3 neon tetras, cherry shrimp
10g- QT tank-empty
2.5- QT tank- nerita,amano,anacharis
TTF Album
TPF Gallery
Old 04-22-2008, 10:59 PM

i bought my mollies and platties @ petco and they were in brackish water with the salt dispenser, when i inquired about it the knowledgable (from what i could tell) employee told me it is good for them because of electrolytes and stuff which promote healthy gill function so i use it now and they seem to be doing fine, even the fish that were already in my pure tank didnt seem to mind the addition of salt
Old 05-21-2008, 12:40 PM

I've had mollies in both brackish and non-brackish water. It doesn't seem to make a difference. However, the brackish water may make a difference to other species in the same tank, such as swords. Since it appears to make NO difference to the mollies, I've eliminated the salt from my tanks with no ill effect. My reasoning is: Why add something that isn't necessary and may be harmful to others?

I got the salt idea from the "experts" and followed it, dragging cory cats along. Although the salt didn't hurt them that I could tell, I also couldn't see any reason for the salt. If anyone feels salt IS necessary, add a small amount, like 1 tablespoon to aquariums 29 gallons or over. That should keep both sides happy.