Forums  
  Discussion  
    Tim's Web Quiz  
    Tim's Web Puzzles  
  Polls - Freshwater  
  Polls - Saltwater  

Go Back   Tropical Fish Forum . Net > General Aquarium Care > DIY (Do It Yourself)

DIY (Do It Yourself) Provide ideas for building your own equipment, tanks and decorations

Old ,

Default Making adaptations to a syphon hose

I've made some changes to my syphon hose so I can syphon water directly into my sink when I do water changes...the hose is now 16ft with a suction pump(the same type used on outboard motor tanks) attached. My sink is 1 to 2in. lower than my tank. The water will empty into the sink but the suction on the vac. end is low and I'm concerned it will not effectively clean the gravel. I think it may be because there is very little incline. Anyone got any ideas on how to correct this?

5 gal... Robin, (Betta)
5 gal...Pete, (Betta)
5 gal...Scotty(Betta)
10 gal...Female Betta Sororiety
10 gal... Neons, Glolights and Cardinals, 1 Oto
10 gal... Ram Pair
29 gal... Mbuna Tank
29 gal... Krib Pair, Tiger Barbs, Tetras, 2 Otos
55 gal...5 Australian Rainbows, 1 Angel Fish, 1 Blue Gourami, 6 Congo Tetras, 1 Leopard Ctenopoma, 1 Clown Pleco, 1 UpsideDown Catfish,5 Otos, 1 Bronze Cory, 2 Peppered Cories,2 Panda Cories
Old ,
Super Moderator

Default Re: Making adaptations to a syphon hose

That sounds like a great idea you came up with Sharon and a lot of hose - sorry but I have no idea other then trying to prop up the vac. end with something or lowering the sink

Just curious - have you noticed if it works better at a lower angle, say into a bucket on the floor, at least then you would know if it is the position/height of the sink.
Old ,
Super Moderator

Hi Sharon - just wondering how you were getting on with the syphon problem, sorry that we couldn't come up with any solutions for you
Old ,

Hi Bernie
My syphon adaptation was a failure ...I think for gravity flow there just wasn't enough difference in the height of the tank and the sink. Also the connecters had to be smaller than the hose, further reducing the flow.
Oh well, live and learn!!! I'm considering getting a python. I have a neck injury (from a car accident) and lifting buckets of water isn't an option for me.

5 gal... Robin, (Betta)
5 gal...Pete, (Betta)
5 gal...Scotty(Betta)
10 gal...Female Betta Sororiety
10 gal... Neons, Glolights and Cardinals, 1 Oto
10 gal... Ram Pair
29 gal... Mbuna Tank
29 gal... Krib Pair, Tiger Barbs, Tetras, 2 Otos
55 gal...5 Australian Rainbows, 1 Angel Fish, 1 Blue Gourami, 6 Congo Tetras, 1 Leopard Ctenopoma, 1 Clown Pleco, 1 UpsideDown Catfish,5 Otos, 1 Bronze Cory, 2 Peppered Cories,2 Panda Cories
Old ,
Super Moderator

So sorry to hear that, and about your injury-it would make things very difficult I know! buckets of water are so heavy aren't they! you wouldn't think water would weigh that much.

When I use a syphon hose that is about 1.5 mtrs in length for one of my tanks that is near a sink (there is about 12 inches in height difference with the sink lower) I don't have a pump or anything I have to suck on one end to get it going and then quickly put it in the sink. The flow isn't great but it eventually does the job. Luckily I only have smaller tanks!

I don't think this would work for you though Sharon The python is probably the best way to go.

Sorry again that it didn't work.

Last edited by Bernie : at .
Old ,

Sharon ..personally I use a python for my larger tank but for my Discus I use the bucket and syphon way and then take the water in the summer out to the roses and grapes, winter time all the tanks get cleaned with the python....and my back loves it...