Forums  
  Discussion  
    Tim's Web Quiz  
    Tim's Web Puzzles  
  Polls - Freshwater  
  Polls - Saltwater  

Go Back   Tropical Fish Forum . Net > Freshwater Tropical Fish Discussion > Topics for Debate

Topics for Debate Give your opinions on topics that are hotly debated, such as glofish and conditions for bettas

Old ,

Default Betta Cruelty

There is wide belief that the treatment of Bettas is inhumane. The small cups they are sold in and the numerous novelty "Betta" containers are believed to be harmful and cruel to the fish. Numerous pet outlets are reputed to keep Bettas and other fish in undesirable conditions.

It appears that the above sentiment is shared by many people that don't know what if anything they can do the stop the inhumane treatment of Bettas and other ornamental fish.

Anyone with comment or suggestions as to how and what action might be taken by those concerned enough to do something; please post it here.
Old ,

Default Re: Betta Cruelty

That is the Question...What Can Be Done? IDK to be honest. Perhaps proof of the betta suffering in a 1/2 cup of water shown to the management and spread around to consumers will change ppls views on bettas? IDK but what ever will help stop the cruelty I am willing to paticipate in.
10g- ramshorn & pond snails,3 neon tetras, cherry shrimp
10g- QT tank-empty
2.5- QT tank- nerita,amano,anacharis
TTF Album
TPF Gallery
Old ,

Here are some things you can do!http://www.gopetition.co.uk/petition...ue-needed.html

http://www.petitionspot.com/petitions/walmartbetta

http://www.petitiononline.com/Bettas/petition.html

Last edited by Dano : at .
Old ,
Super Moderator

Of course we are all concerned about their inhumane treatment or that of any animal and would like to STOP IT!

Dan! You have said that a lot of people just whine about it and are not prepared to get their hands dirty or donate money to aid the various organizations that protest animal cruelty in any shape or form, are willing to let those so-called “Wacko’s” take care of our business and cure the ills of the world for us. I feel that only applies to the minority!

Many people may have signed every petition available, sent letters of complaint to stores, written to government officials, animal rights organizations and joined or donated what money they could to said organizations, but it never seems to have much of an impact, or it looks that way and feels like we are banging our heads against a brick wall most of the time, we feel powerless and think to ourselves “what is the point...nobody listens”. Besides everyone getting on the Greenpeace boats (which BTW I think is a great organization) or marching in all the protests which some of us may do....."Most of us do not know what else to do"! So yes! some may complain and be more verbal about it than others on forums such as this, it may give them a sense that at least their voice is being heard by someone.

To those of you who think Betta’s are not being ill treated, you are entitled to that opinion of course, but I ask you...next time you are in a pet store, please take a very close look at that little Betta in a jar or cup and can you honestly tell me..it is OK!

Last edited by Bernie : at .
Old ,

I signed 2 of the petitions Dano posted

When my Lfs get shipments of bettas they usually get around 30+ bettas all stacked in little cups, it's sad that that many are shipped and that only about 10 will be adopted, the rest usually die in the cups.

Once either an employee of a customer dumped multiple bettas in all the tanks. Every tank was full of dieing or dead bettas. The employees didn't even bother taking the survivors out.

Plus in the check out lane a little girl had a bag with two male bettas in it.
10 gallon: Krib fry!!!
8 gallon: 1 Male betta
Neoblaze (Aka Cole )
Old ,

I think Dano is being a tad harsh and maybe even insensitive in the way he says things but IMO to some extents he is right. At the end of the day probably 90% of the worlds population donít even know what a betta is let alone the kinds of conditions they are kept in.

I totally agree that the way some fish are kept is absolutely unforgivable but i honestly believe that the world is not bothered about such issues. Money makes the world go round and unfortunately importing bettas the way they are at the moment produces the biggest profit margin. the pet trade and money never goes well together, im not saying thatís there's nothing we can do about it but to some extent i can understand when Dano says he has given up because in most cases it is a losing battle.

I donít want anyone to think that I donít care because i do and it saddens me the way some fish are treated but if after billions of pounds/dollars are invested into charities supporting some of the worlds poorest people, the issue still hasnít gone away and it never will so how can we expect any large governing body to take any interest in the humane treatment of bettas
Old ,

A lot of things sadden me...bettas in cups, domesticated animals not taken care of, most animals in circuses, abused children, battered women, starving people in other countries, terroism( I can't believe you made that comment, Dan!!!)...and the list goes on!... and on! I am ultimately responsible for how I treat other living things. I'm not going to change the world, but I can make sure I do things right, so that when my last day comes...I don't have to think "I wish I hadn't" too many times....

Most animal rights groups don't get very much respect from me. I find a LOT of misrepresentation, on some issues....there's a lot of money to be made there, as well.

BTW, the next time you're at the pet store...looking at the Bettas....look at the rest of the fish. Do you think that they are actually happier in our tanks, than in their natural habitat??? I think not....

5 gal... Robin, (Betta)
5 gal...Pete, (Betta)
5 gal...Scotty(Betta)
10 gal...Female Betta Sororiety
10 gal... Neons, Glolights and Cardinals, 1 Oto
10 gal... Ram Pair
29 gal... Mbuna Tank
29 gal... Krib Pair, Tiger Barbs, Tetras, 2 Otos
55 gal...5 Australian Rainbows, 1 Angel Fish, 1 Blue Gourami, 6 Congo Tetras, 1 Leopard Ctenopoma, 1 Clown Pleco, 1 UpsideDown Catfish,5 Otos, 1 Bronze Cory, 2 Peppered Cories,2 Panda Cories
Old ,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharon View Post
A lot of things sadden me...bettas in cups, domesticated animals not taken care of, most animals in circuses, abused children, battered women, starving people in other countries, terroism( I can't believe you made that comment, Dan!!!)...and the list goes on!... and on! I am ultimately responsible for how I treat other living things. I'm not going to change the world, but I can make sure I do things right, so that when my last day comes...I don't have to think "I wish I hadn't" too many times....

I TOTALLY AGREE Sharon!!!
Old ,

Dano, no-one, from what I can see, is 'having a go at you'. Personally I enjoy posts such as these as they induce some great discussions on certain topics. You canít expect to post such personal views and not expect them to be challenged, thatís one of the purposes of this forum, to discuss current affairs.

I think itís great that we all have our own opinions, all of which have been derived from a diverse bank of knowledge. This is what makes this forum so interesting, the fact that we are able to see certain issues from different points of view......I love it

SAVE THE BETTAS SAVE THE BETTAS SAVE THE BETTAS
Old ,

Remember not to take things personaly and all should be fine. Everyone Does have the right to their opinoin. Lol...if something rubs me the wrong way I put much thought into what I may respond with. I'm not going to worry about things to much on a forum. I worry to much as it is here with home life.

Thank you for the links Dano.

SAVE THE BETTAS SAVE THE BETTAS SAVE THE BETTAS!!!!!!! Stop animal cruelty!
10g- ramshorn & pond snails,3 neon tetras, cherry shrimp
10g- QT tank-empty
2.5- QT tank- nerita,amano,anacharis
TTF Album
TPF Gallery