Forums  
  Discussion  
    Tim's Web Quiz  
    Tim's Web Puzzles  
  Polls - Freshwater  
  Polls - Saltwater  

Go Back   Tropical Fish Forum . Net > Freshwater Tropical Fish Discussion > Topics for Debate

Topics for Debate Give your opinions on topics that are hotly debated, such as glofish and conditions for bettas

Old ,

Default Monster Fish

I dont get why people want to buy and lfs's want to sell Monster fish.

I hate going to my LFS seeing little kids walk out with bags full of Iridescent sharks, and common plecos.

I also don't get why people want to buy Arawanas, They need at least 500 gallons and they have a tendency to jump, why wast your money.

We should leave the big fish in the wild
10 gallon: Krib fry!!!
8 gallon: 1 Male betta
Neoblaze (Aka Cole )
Old ,

Default Re: Monster Fish

I agree. No regard for the fish at all. I wish they would leave them out in the wild.
10g- ramshorn & pond snails,3 neon tetras, cherry shrimp
10g- QT tank-empty
2.5- QT tank- nerita,amano,anacharis
TTF Album
TPF Gallery
Old ,

Irresponsible buying is one thing and buying with knowledge is another. This applies to any living thing!
Old ,

I'm pretty sure a 75 gallon would be alright for a common pleco. But I'm no expert. lol.

29 Gallon
4 Golden Dojo Loaches
1 Fantail Goldfish
1 Small Black Moor
10 White Cloud Mountain Minnows
1 Male Guppy
10 Gallon
1 Female Betta
2 Corydora Catfish
9 Neon Tetra
2 Ottos
5 Gallon
1 Betta-1 Male
2 Ottos
55 Gallon
1 Red-tailed Shark
1 Golden Chinese Algae Eater
1 Common Plecostumus
1 Green Terror Cichlid
1 Jack Dempsey
1 Bristlenose Plecostomus
1 Australian Blue Yabbie Lobster
1 Three Spot Gourami
Old ,
ferret

so does a larger fish earn the right to live in the wild and a smaller fish earn the misfortune of being condemed to a glass box just because of their size?

all fish whether they be a tiny guppy or a or a giant potato cod, should be kept in the kind of environment they deserve.

sorry I had a bad day at work
Old ,

Ferret....That is why I recommend that everyone research fish before buying them. A person needs to know what kind of environment the fish need to survive long term. I am not against someone buying a small fish that is going to grow to be big. I am however against someone buying on impulse and winding up with something they are not prepared for. This is cruel to the tiny fish that grew into a monster.
Old ,
ferret

I'm with ya there mate.
Old ,

yeah in a perfect world, people would research ANY pet before buying..being a fish, cat dog, rabbit etc.
just like people dont take into mind when getting a dog or cat..etc..this should be a life long commitment and there will be expenses in caring for your animal,food,vet, hygenie products..people want what they want and find it very disposeable when it it doesnt convience them any more, so cole , its not just fish people dont research, or take long term consideration about when buying..
its also these lfs,pet stores..they have people selling thier products(fish) and letting the almighty dollar rule...they dont care if people dont have the proper set up, or proper knowlegde for that matter as long as they make a buck.
i was in a petco a few months ago, it had just opened..i was looking to get some guppies and a large bala shark caught my eye..i was looking and considering it , when 2 men about 19-22 yrs old came up and asked it i was gonna buy it..i said im thinking about it, but is you want it, go ahead, dont let me stop you.. well a store lady came and asked me is she could help me, told her i wanted some guppies..as she was getting my fish, another lady walked up o the men and asked what they wanted..they went on to tell her, they had set up a 55 gallon the night before and wanted fish that were gonna fish..she proceded to show them all the aggressive fish, and what would fish..they walked out with oscars, bettas, the shark and sone cichlids..when i went to report what she was doing i found out she was the manager on duty and she was who i would ahve to report her to, so nothing was done.

so cole, it all boils down to making money.. it doesnt matter to these people selling them if the fish is gonna be taken care of, as long as the stores make a buck.
Old ,

dang sounds to me like an oscar is going to have an expensive meal..... as I am sure he would eat the betta and any other fish he could get into his mouth.

Dave
Old ,

You all make very good points on people not researching fish before they buy them, but I also noticed that people buy monster fish to feed there ego.

They like to show them off to there friends but have no intention of giving them the care and space they need.
10 gallon: Krib fry!!!
8 gallon: 1 Male betta
Neoblaze (Aka Cole )