Forums  
  Discussion  
    Tim's Web Quiz  
    Tim's Web Puzzles  
  Polls - Freshwater  
  Polls - Saltwater  

Go Back   Tropical Fish Forum . Net > General Aquarium Care > Disease

Disease Questions and comments about fish diseases.

Old 05-02-2009, 07:11 PM

Default Oscar Losing Eye + HITH

This is my first post here, so I am going to do a quick summary of what I do and where I'm from. First, I usually go to tetra-fish for problems on my fish, but have decided to try here also for more advice on this particular case. Second, I run a fish rescue in Colorado. I just started it two months ago and really need to do the paperwork to make it a non-profit.

I have an Oscar who came to me through my sister. Her landlord had several fish, I'm assuming they were Oscars as well. They all got sick and died. This Oscar that he gave me was the lone surviver. He has massive HITH, which I treated with API General Cure, in the powder form. He still has massive wounds but I figured I would do another treatment after another week. The biggest wound seems to have a bit of scabbing on it at the moment.

The HITH is something I can treat easily, but there is something else that I need help with. When I got him, his left eye was covered in a fungus. This wasn't a bacteria, but a true fungus, as in the stuff that grows on dead tissue and eats it. At the end of the treatment of the General Cure, I did a water change and the cornea (the lens over the eye) came off along with the fungus. Of course, I was happy about that. Over the past week, I have treated with Pimafix because it is supposed to help fungus. I'm sure it really only helps bacteria fungus such as body fungus.

Currently, there is a bit of fungus coming out of the pocket of the eye, where the iris should be. I am worried about the fungus eventually killing the Oscar as the fungus is getting very close to the the brain.

Is there any other way to treat this fungus? I know that the eye will rot out, and I'm not looking to amputate myself as I've never done it. Are there any other medicines that can be used?

Also, will it be safe to eventually put him with other fish once he is all cured? I've been told that once a fish has HITH, that it is unwise to put him in with other fish as it puts them at risk. My thinking is, however, that if you cure HITH and keep your tanks clean as you are supposed to, then there is no reason that the fish cannot have tankmates.

All input is welcome. This fish will never be rehomed, but will probably be put in a 55 by himself at my house. If he will be safe to put with other fish once he's healthy then I will put him with other one-eyed fish that I have or will put him with fish he won't eat and that won't care about him any.
Old 05-02-2009, 07:48 PM

Default Re: Oscar Losing Eye + HITH

Welcome to the forum.....Are you absolutely sure the fish has HITH?.....Jungle Tank Buddies Parasite Clear is a cheap effective cure for some HITH infections.....Furanase and Quickcure(malachite/formalin) are good for severe fungus that results from bacterial infections......Primafix and Melafix are so weak a solution that they are not effective on anything but very mild disease.......If it were me I would isolate the fish in a comfortable roomy tank and treat until the disease subsides for at least two weeks.......Maracyn or Maracyn II will work well on fungus and bacterial infection also.

HITH is a debatable disease as no one is sure what causes it or what to use to cure it......

Good water quality is the best cure and preventave.
Old 05-02-2009, 08:06 PM

He is in a 20 gallon with three minnows. I was trying to get him to eat and I think he might have eaten one as there were four minnows in there. Just as long as he eats, you know? I felt that Pimafix and melafix were too weak as well, but treated with it as I didn't know what else to do. He's been in my care for two weeks, having treatment for both weeks, one with HITH and one with pimafix.

I'd started a treatment of mild pickling salt the first two days, but it made the wounds on his face bleed. I'm pretty sure it is HITH and not... helifex? I think that's what it's called. It's "h" something anyway. His slime coat was shedding and he is half gray instead of albino. His coloring has improved since treatment.

I'm thinking that maybe I should give him a week without treatment after tomorrow and just do daily water changes of 10% to make sure the water quality is as good as it can be. I'm just worried about that fungus at the moment though.
Old 05-02-2009, 09:41 PM

What experiance do you have in keeping fish?.........What is the ph, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and temp of the tank this fish is in?.....This "pickling salt"?? how much did you put in the water?.....When you say "his slime coat was shedding" what do you mean?.....Can you post pictures of this fish?
Old 05-03-2009, 12:33 AM

I have a lot of experience with fish. I own 11 fish tanks and a fish rescue. I just have never dealt with a fish in his condition. I started the rescue just a few short months ago.

All tests are fine in his tank. The nitrates have been higher than they should be as I do not have the filter running, due to treatment. They never got of 40ppm, but all my tanks stay at less than 10ppm as I do water changes every week. I have never had a problem with ammonia or nitrites. Tomorrow, I will be allowed to start up the filter and do a water change for this oscar.

With the pickling salt, I put in 2tbs as he was in a 10 gallon tank and I didn't want to stress him out any more than he was. I have always used pickling salt when I do salt treatments as it is what is available at my closest store.

As for the slime coat, I read that it was a symptom of the HITH. It has stopped shedding in the past 13 days. It was coming off in pieces and was very distinctive. I know it was not a body fungus.

As for the pictures, I have a few, but they were taken two weeks ago. I will have to take new ones tomorrow. Here is the link to the ones I have: http://s657.photobucket.com/albums/u...scar%20Rescue/

Also, here is the link to the salt treatment I use when my rescues have ich: http://tetra-fish.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4905
Old 05-03-2009, 12:51 AM

Compare what you see happening to the fish with the symptoms of columnaris..................
Old 05-03-2009, 01:26 AM

It's not columnaris. I'm certain on that. It was one of my first guesses two weeks ago though.
Old 05-03-2009, 05:23 AM

I refer you back to my comments in post number 2.