Forums  
  Discussion  
    Tim's Web Quiz  
    Tim's Web Puzzles  
  Polls - Freshwater  
  Polls - Saltwater  

Go Back   Tropical Fish Forum . Net > General Aquarium Care > Disease

Disease Questions and comments about fish diseases.

Old ,

Default Ickkk!!!

Oh no I got Ick!!! I went to the LFS bought some Maracide, I will do a water change as well. anyother suggestions on treating it?

Last edited by RickR : at .
Old ,

Default Re: Ickkk!!!

Up the temperature to 82/84*F and follow the instructions on the product........When the cysts fall off the fish be sure to continue the treatment for several more days to kill the ick organisms that hatch from the fallen cysts.

Being that you have Tetras and Loaches you may have to do 1/2 doses.....Does the product warn for this?

Last edited by Dano : at .
Old ,

No warnings for loaches/tetras. Hey Dano do you think that this Ich could have been the reason that Loach wasn't calming down? And it says to use on day 1,3,and 5. Should i add some salt?

Last edited by RickR : at .
Old ,

This is printed on all bottles of the Maracide product..."Care should be taken when treating scaleless fish due to the sensitivity of these fish"....This notice is intended for fish with small scales like Tetra and Loaches.

Ick infestation is very irritating to fish and they will exhibit stress behavior.......Salt is not needed and it will also irritate Loaches and plants.
Old ,

Good to know. So salt is not recommended ever correct?
Old ,

There are uses for salt in the treatment of certain fish problems, but not in combination with the meds you are using.....Certain fish don't tolerate it well and if it accumulates in the water it can kill.
Old ,

I think the big Clown Loach is on his way out. He is hiding in the corner just breathing not moving. The other loach is doing alright for now though. I guess I saw it coming.
Old ,

Got rid of the Ick but had many deaths in the process