Forums  
  Discussion  
    Tim's Web Quiz  
    Tim's Web Puzzles  
  Polls - Freshwater  
  Polls - Saltwater  

Go Back   Tropical Fish Forum . Net > General Aquarium Care > Disease

Disease Questions and comments about fish diseases.

Old ,

Default How do I sterilize a tank?

I switched from a 12 gal to a 72 gal tank. All my nice fish are in the new tank but I left one goldfish in the 12.

2 weeks ago, my friend bought some Oranda Goldfish for her cuz but left them at my house. Stupid girl just dumped 3 Orandas in my 12 gal tank without asking me. Worse off, I had to leave for 2 weeks on business and left my roommate to tend to my fish. When I came back, my main tank was fine (Thank God!) but "Rambo" (my Goldfish, not the one my friend dumped on me) had cotton mouth, one Oranda had ick, one died, and the other had a piece of his dorsal fin missing and a white mess in its place.

The sickness is so far gone that I think they're all going to die. If/when they do, I want to sterilize the tank to make it an eventual Quaranteen tank/ Hospital tank.

How do I get rid of all the bad stuff without killing the nitrogen cycle in the bio wheel?
Old ,

Default Re: How do I sterilize a tank?

Oh no! That's awful, I'm sorry about what happened What are you treating them with right now?

The best thing to do would be to forget your nitrogen cycle and just nuke the tank with bleach water since that is a sure-fire kill. If you try other things it may not work...plus some parasites' eggs can actually survive meds and even hibernate when they dry up.

Add about one part bleach to every 12 parts water and run the tank, filter, and all equipment you used on the tank inside. Do this for a few hours then rinse rinse rinse, far past the stage where you can't smell the bleach anymore. Let everything dry in the sun. When you set it back up again, if you have any doubt that the bleach is not totally gone, add 10x the amount of water conditioner after filling it.

You probably want to boil any porous or painted things instead of bleaching (like bio-media, gravel, ornaments, etc) Boil in a pot for 45 minutes. Remember not to boil anything plastic Do you have live plants?
Old ,

Luckly no live plants but the biowheel is plastic and just about everything else except for the gravel.

Currently, I'm treating with Malachite green (Spelling?) and Sodium Chloride. I'm not sure what else to try.
Old ,

Are you using quick cure? If so, the formalin in the drug will make fish very sick if mixed with salt...If that is what it is, QUICKLY, stick a big bag of fresh activated carbon in the filter and get rid of the malachite green. Malachite green and salt do not mix and will make a fish very sick. If you don't have carbon, do a 100% waterchange do get rid of the medication.

Malachite green (and formalin, if you are using Quick Cure) can both be dangerous chemicals, and it makes me mad that the products don't say anything about the warnings and precautions on the packaging. Malachite green is light sensitive, and the parasite-killing ingredient will become ineffective if it comes in contact with light, so when treating with this, drape a heavy dark towel or trashbag over the tank and keep the light in the room to a minimum.

How much salt are you using? What temperature is the tank at? Medications and salt only kill the adult ich parasites, so raising the temp will speed up the egg hatching.

Last edited by LittleHippyGirl : at . Reason: warnings, wrong info the first time sorry!
Old ,

Oh no Fomaline is being used and the bottle never said anything about light sensitivity...which is actually very interesting.

BTW...I think these kids don't have much longer left. Rambo's mouth has deteriorated and is so swollen he can hardly eat. It's heart breaking I tell you. He's just a fish, but seeing as how he was happy and healthy before the new guys, and seeing another creature in such poor shape makes me want to punch my friend in the face.

Tank Temp: 78 F
Meds is: Nox ich = Malakite () green and Sodium Chloride.
Amount: 1 drop per gallon, or 12 drops.

Last edited by obyone : at .
Old ,

Yah, put carbon in right away to get rid of the medications and try using only salt. Poor babies, I know how you feel
Old ,

One Oranda died today, the one with a fuzzy white dorsal fin.

I've placed the carbon filter in and began treating "Predator Mouth" with a salt bath.
Old ,

Pictures added.

1st pic of still live Comet. As you can see, his mouth is all jacked up.

2nd pic of now deceased Oranda. You can kinda see the fuzzy white stuff growing where the front of his Dorsal fin should have been.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Rambo01.JPG
Views:	670
Size:	31.9 KB
ID:	403  Click image for larger version

Name:	OrandaDeceased01.jpg
Views:	619
Size:	68.4 KB
ID:	404  
Old ,

Unhappy Re: How do I sterilize a tank?

Aww poor babies You took the carbon out before adding the new med, right?