Forums  
  Discussion  
    Tim's Web Quiz  
    Tim's Web Puzzles  
  Polls - Freshwater  
  Polls - Saltwater  

Go Back   Tropical Fish Forum . Net > General Aquarium Care > Disease

Disease Questions and comments about fish diseases.

Old ,

Default I'm in trouble.....

Like I didn't have enough questions as is....... Something is wrong with my fish and it's not just one variable. Sad enough I do not have a quarantine tank set up yet. I have 3 concerns and I'm not sure if they are related.
I noticed tiny white specs on the fins of my barbs and rainbow shark this morning.... they are only on the fins though. Looks more like ich than finrot if I can judge by the photos I've seen. Secondly, a few of my barbs seem a little pale. Their stripes are more like gray than black and last but not least, one of them is swimming quite strangely. He is a little guy and at one point I thought that's it, he's floating to the top, he's dead. But he was just pulling his number....
What should I treat first and how? I guess the pale colors could be because of current instability in the tank, will they return to normal?
My platys are fine. I have a pregnant one in a breeding trap. How will she be affected by treatment? Is the whole tank gonna come crashing down? Please help!
Old ,

Default Re: I'm in trouble.....

My brother had the same problem with his barbs ( barbs get ick easy)
When my fish had ick I used ( Appro Quick cure and Mendel Ick medicine) they worked for me.

Also I would recomend only using distilled or aged and treated tap water for now on for water changes.
Old ,

Sorry to hear that you're having some trouble!

here is a page about ich: http://www.nunnie.com/ick.html

Also, if you go to Pandora's site, she has alot of good information there with which to diagnose your fish: http://www.fishpalace.org/Disease.html

Make sure you research the suggested treatments to make certain that the treatment is safe for the fish that you have in your tank. Some treatments will suggest turning the heat up in your tank; before doing this, research your fish types and see if they will tolerate a) a jump in heat temperature and b) an extended period at the higher temperature.

I would suggest getting a digital camera, photographing your sick fish and taking the images to your LFS and see what they think.

You should also take readings on the levels in your tank and bring those along with you.

If you don't have a local fish store, check out wal-mart. they should have some ich-treatments. Ich looks like someone sprinkled sugar or salt on your fish.

I'm no expert, but seeing as how you haven't had many replies (yet), I thought I would try to offer what I know.

Good luck

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishy View Post
Like I didn't have enough questions as is....... Something is wrong with my fish and it's not just one variable. Sad enough I do not have a quarantine tank set up yet. I have 3 concerns and I'm not sure if they are related.
I noticed tiny white specs on the fins of my barbs and rainbow shark this morning.... they are only on the fins though. Looks more like ich than finrot if I can judge by the photos I've seen. Secondly, a few of my barbs seem a little pale. Their stripes are more like gray than black and last but not least, one of them is swimming quite strangely. He is a little guy and at one point I thought that's it, he's floating to the top, he's dead. But he was just pulling his number....
What should I treat first and how? I guess the pale colors could be because of current instability in the tank, will they return to normal?
My platys are fine. I have a pregnant one in a breeding trap. How will she be affected by treatment? Is the whole tank gonna come crashing down? Please help!
10 gallon assort guppies & platy
3 - 3 gallons 1 betta each
1 - 75 gallon - 2 raphael catfish, 1 melanistus cory, 5 trilineatus, 3 kuhlis, 10 diamond tetras, 5 albino danios, 7 panda cory
Old ,

hello again.
I went out and got a more accurate ammonia and nitrite test from API(that's all my local fish store had). My ammonia levels are at 0.50 and nitrites at 0ppm. I also got Mardel's coppersafe but have been reading that it is not advised for tanks with alkalinity under 120. As I mentioned previously, I seem stuck on 80! I have gradually been raising the temp and doing research on aquarium salt as a tonic/treatment! What do you guys think? I also have frye in there so I don't know what's safe for them and don't intend to kill them.... It will be a while until I can transfer them to their own tank...... If I do treat with coppersafe will I need to use an anibiotic for secondary infection? Everything is happening all at once!!!
Old ,

You need to do an immediate water change to get the ammonia down...0.5 is a dangerous level for the fish. The tank is not cycled, which is stressing the fish, and probably caused the ich outbreak. Continue with treatment for ick, and be diligent with controlling ammonia and nitrites. The fry may not survive the cycling of the tank... Good luck...

5 gal... Robin, (Betta)
5 gal...Pete, (Betta)
5 gal...Scotty(Betta)
10 gal...Female Betta Sororiety
10 gal... Neons, Glolights and Cardinals, 1 Oto
10 gal... Ram Pair
29 gal... Mbuna Tank
29 gal... Krib Pair, Tiger Barbs, Tetras, 2 Otos
55 gal...5 Australian Rainbows, 1 Angel Fish, 1 Blue Gourami, 6 Congo Tetras, 1 Leopard Ctenopoma, 1 Clown Pleco, 1 UpsideDown Catfish,5 Otos, 1 Bronze Cory, 2 Peppered Cories,2 Panda Cories
Old ,

thank you sharon!
I've been on standby waiting for responses, just did a 20% water change and I'm thinking I should do that every day instead of every 3rd day which is the schedule I've been on. Will take some more readings in a few hours when the water has circulated a bit.Do you recommend a the coppersafe or the salt treatment for the ick? Thanks again!!!
Old ,

Ishy, sorry to hear that you're still having troubles.

I would say use the coppersafe and warmer water temperature to treat the ick (80 degrees is tough on ick- but Im not sure what kind of fish you have in there... you mentioned barbs but Im unfamiliar with those...). If you are stuck waiting on replies, I wouldnt spend days waiting. Contact your LFS and get a treatment regimen going ASAP.

In the meantime, reasearch the types of fish and the fry and see if they can tolerate the higher water temp- that might help hold you over until you can get some better answers on treatment.

This page from The Aquarium Guys and this page from same talks about ick and treatments raising water temperature etc. If you read the pages carefully, the information might help you out.

It was also good to get your water levels- now you know what you're dealing with and why. I used to use the test strips but switched to the liquid tests; they're much more accurate.

Good luck with your fish, and again, I wouldnt wait days for an answer. Get in touch with LFS soon if you don't hear back here right away.

Once this sickness is under control and your fry are stable, I might suggest picking up a vial of Bio-Spira (if your LFS has it). I used it on two of my tanks and both tanks cycled completely - one in six days, the other in five. That should bring your tank levels under control and get things on the right track.
10 gallon assort guppies & platy
3 - 3 gallons 1 betta each
1 - 75 gallon - 2 raphael catfish, 1 melanistus cory, 5 trilineatus, 3 kuhlis, 10 diamond tetras, 5 albino danios, 7 panda cory
Old ,

That's good advice, Greensleeves ...I've read that coppersafe AND Biospira are quite effective, although I've not used either. The only thing I'm wondering about is that the water changes that are going to be required to control ammonia is going to dilute treatment?(Is it a daily dose...if so treat after water change)Ishy, the fact that there are no nitrites seems to indicate that your tank has not really begun it's cycle which is odd if it's been set up for a month. Have you been replacing filter media or washing it in tapwater...If so, don't touch the filter media, as your bacteria needs to grow there...

5 gal... Robin, (Betta)
5 gal...Pete, (Betta)
5 gal...Scotty(Betta)
10 gal... Ram Pair
29 gal... Mbuna Tank
55 gal...5 Australian Rainbows, 1 Angel Fish, 1 Blue Gourami, 6 Congo Tetras, 1 Leopard Ctenopoma, 1 Clown Pleco, 1 UpsideDown Catfish,5 Otos, 1 Bronze Cory, 2 Peppered Cories,2 Panda Cories
Old ,

Hi Sharon,
The lack of nitrites troubles me too after reading about cycling. I have not touched the filter(not even rinsed it) and the tank has been running since August 21st. I've been slowly adding fish in order to get some poop and pee to get us going but the ammonia just start rising in the past week. My tank had turned a cloudy grey(indicative of bacteria bloom) a few weeks ago but is looking good now. The Copper safe calls for 5ml per 4 gallons of water for a month and includes replacement water....
Old ,

OK...It's good that you haven't changed filter media and the cloudy water is actually a good thing, as it does indicate bacterial growth. Maybe, you've been changing the water enough to inhibit ammonia, which is not a bad thing when you're cycling with fish. It just means your cycle will take longer. You'll have to have good water quality now, anyway, because it's important with the ick outbreak. I'd continue to keep toxins down, and follow instructions for the coppersafe...If that includes raising temp., it will be a good thing for the cycle as well as the ick control.

5 gal... Robin, (Betta)
5 gal...Pete, (Betta)
5 gal...Scotty(Betta)
10 gal... Ram Pair
29 gal... Mbuna Tank