Tim's Web Quiz  
    Tim's Web Puzzles  
  Polls - Freshwater  
  Polls - Saltwater  

Go Back   Tropical Fish Forum . Net > General Aquarium Care > Plants

Plants Questions and comments about freshwater plants

Old ,

Default Re: first time with ferts n co2

I still refuse to do co2, but I recognize that great results can be had with it's usage. Right now I am getting too much plant growth too fast without it.
Old ,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dano View Post
I still refuse to do co2, but I recognize that great results can be had with it's usage. Right now I am getting too much plant growth too fast without it.
i highly agree with your commnets dano.
i always thought co2 was way overrated

my low light tanks always had an abundace of plants i was either selling or giving away.
i give credit to long light periods ,feeding my fish alot so in turn lots of fish waste for plant consumption and some good substrate with plenty of minerals
as an experiment
a fellow hobbiest and i tried growing specialyt plants without co2 n ferts in one of my tanks,
only a couple of stems plants survived,like rotala, ludwiga, and another one but the blyxa started to wilt and the hygro did nothing
so i think its only needed for really hard to care for plants
or for mass production
Old ,

Quote:
Originally Posted by alan j t View Post
well i was told
csm=complete secondary micronutrient/mix
MAGNESIUM (Mg)
CHELATED COPPER (Cu)
IRON (Fe)
CHELATED IRON (Fe)
MANGANESE (Mn)
CHELATED MANGANESE (Mn)
MOLYBDENUM (Mo)
ZINC (Zn)
CHELATED ZINC (Zn)
EDTA CONTENT (MINIMUM)
so it has a bunch of stuff like that
and the iron is seperate

Ahhh...micro as in a sort of fertilizer . Gotcha. The dry form is supposed to be much cheaper to use. I'm new to planted tanks. There is a lot to learn. I thought a backish tank was hard until I bought so called easy plants for the FW tank.....Not sure if I will ever mess with c02. I would have to make some money off my fish tanks before I will invest that kind of money into a planted tank. As it is the easy plants have costed me a fortune.
10g- ramshorn & pond snails,3 neon tetras, cherry shrimp
10g- QT tank-empty
2.5- QT tank- nerita,amano,anacharis
TTF Album
TPF Gallery
Old ,

the plants bought at the lfs are hella expensive
you can buy plants at plant forums for a whole lot cheaper

a far as co2 goes you can make your own co2 and it help the plants a little
and wont ever harm your fish
Old ,

The plants were not that expensive. I ordered my plants on ebay. It was fighting what I thought was BGA algae and the combined costs, that cost me a small fortune and the shipping. Stores here didn't carry what I wanted or thought I needed.

My costs:
2 baseball size beautiful Java Moss (snail free) $13.00 w/ shipping
3 lbs Hornwort (healthy looking after I cleaned it. Dirty w/ algae, worms and a few snails, ugh! from someones pond! I dipped in PP) $18.00 w/ shipping
2 lg bottles Flourish Excel $16.00 w/ shipping
My new Algae Crew!!12 Nerita snails, 4 amano shrimp, 6 cherry shrimp $50.00 from LFS. UGH!! Expensive! I could not wait for shipping. Used my birthday Money I love these guys. They have ate all my BBA and the Hair Algae on the hornwort.
2 different Flourish Kits, Fundamentals & Enhancer for plants $18.00, 1 Powerhead $12.00, w/ Overnight shipping $29.00

I panicked when I found a new blue algae in my 20g planted tank. I thought it was blue green slim algae/bacteria . I have no idea what the algae was now but I removed it manually (was not slimy) and it has stayed gone without adding all the new stuff I had overnighted. The flourish will last a long time for my 20g. When I upgrade my 20g to the 55g I will have to invest in the powder ferts.

Total $156.00 for a small amount of cheap, easy, low light plants...hahaha Easy . Tank set up in May 08 for mothers day. Cost 300.00 w/ out the plants for fish, substrate and decor....This tank has cost me as much as my 55g brackish tank. I did not expect the high expense for a 20g.

As you can probably tell I'm not great at DIY projects. I don't fully understand the ins and outs of a planted tank yet or using C02. I'm impressed at how well your plants are doing considering this is your first time using ferts and C02. Have you had any algae outbreaks?
10g- QT tank-empty
TTF Album
TPF Gallery
Old ,

Hi there,

The planted tanks are looking really nice. I think the difficulty arises in getting the right balance and you certainly have done that.

Jellygirl
Old ,

Quote:
Originally Posted by StormySkiez View Post
The plants were not that expensive. I ordered my plants on ebay. It was fighting what I thought was BGA algae and the combined costs, that cost me a small fortune and the shipping. Stores here didn't carry what I wanted or thought I needed.

My costs:
2 baseball size beautiful Java Moss (snail free) $13.00 w/ shipping
3 lbs Hornwort (healthy looking after I cleaned it. Dirty w/ algae, worms and a few snails, ugh! from someones pond! I dipped in PP) $18.00 w/ shipping
2 lg bottles Flourish Excel $16.00 w/ shipping
My new Algae Crew!!12 Nerita snails, 4 amano shrimp, 6 cherry shrimp $50.00 from LFS. UGH!! Expensive! I could not wait for shipping. Used my birthday Money I love these guys. They have ate all my BBA and the Hair Algae on the hornwort.
2 different Flourish Kits, Fundamentals & Enhancer for plants $18.00, 1 Powerhead $12.00, w/ Overnight shipping $29.00

I panicked when I found a new blue algae in my 20g planted tank. I thought it was blue green slim algae/bacteria . I have no idea what the algae was now but I removed it manually (was not slimy) and it has stayed gone without adding all the new stuff I had overnighted. The flourish will last a long time for my 20g. When I upgrade my 20g to the 55g I will have to invest in the powder ferts.

Total $156.00 for a small amount of cheap, easy, low light plants...hahaha Easy . Tank set up in May 08 for mothers day. Cost 300.00 w/ out the plants for fish, substrate and decor....This tank has cost me as much as my 55g brackish tank. I did not expect the high expense for a 20g.

As you can probably tell I'm not great at DIY projects. I don't fully understand the ins and outs of a planted tank yet or using C02. I'm impressed at how well your plants are doing considering this is your first time using ferts and C02. Have you had any algae outbreaks?

that sounds about right in cost with me aswell
this planted stuff is so expensive.
i started with low ligh plants for a while.
i always bought everything slowly though.
if i decided to buy everything in one shot i'd probably behind in bills
it took about a 6 months to go to low light plants and keep the growth good no co2 or ferts at all , besides flourite and some n-p-k jobes under the root feeders and a new flourescent tube
plant forums are your best friend when it comes to a planted tank
i searched the forums on how to get the easiet setup and cheapest,
lfs dont give the best advise in my opinion you just spend and spend with not the greatest results.
craigslist and plant forums did help me save a ton of money though,
i dont mind used equipment,im a bargin hunter

low and mid light planted tanks dont neeed ferts unless you spot a nutrient defincency in my opinion
if your going to dose then dose and see what happens
good or bad you'll learn

as far as this tank goes
some algea was present when i recieved the plants , it looks like hair algea all bunches up on some moss and hair grass.i just keep pulling it off hoping it will go away,but everytime i yank some out some more appears somewhere else.im going to try excel and squirt it on the culprit
i have shrimps in there eating away at the algea but i only have 10

and the guppys are multiplying so fast im so amazed
out of the 10 guppys i had in there in the begining
3 disappeared and only have 7 females
but they keep reproducing without no males
i swear they are cloning themselves

one of my lamps kick the bucket today so i guess the growth will slow down
so i will dose ferts less and hope all goes well
just the ballast alone is around 30 bucks and hopeing it fits in the dang lamp is to risky

i was thinking about making my 75 a med/high light tank
and the lamp kicking the bucket made me go for it
so i guess i can post a journal if its ok with the moderators
Old ,

Quote:
Originally Posted by jellygirl View Post
Hi there,

The planted tanks are looking really nice. I think the difficulty arises in getting the right balance and you certainly have done that.

Jellygirl
thanks jellygirl
i learned alot from my mistakes
Old ,

Alan what type of shrimp do you have and what size tank? My guppies were eating algae when I had them. They breed like bunnies . No males in the tank? They most have been already carrying eggs. Glad your guppies are doing well.

I won't be adding nothing but the excel daily and flourish weekly in my tank right now. I just found out I don't have hornwort! I bought hornwort but was sent anacharis . I just had it ID on plantgeek. I'm glad I like the looks better and is good for the tank.....

What is the pretty floating cover in the second tank pic in post #8? Is that something that does well in a low light tank with out c02? I'd like some of that in my 10g neon tank. Can that be grown as the only live plant in a tank without the algae problems do you think? I have glow plastic plants in the 10g and I think that floating plant would look nice and the neons would like it.
10g- QT tank-empty
TTF Album
TPF Gallery
Old ,

Quote:
Originally Posted by StormySkiez View Post
Alan what type of shrimp do you have and what size tank? My guppies were eating algae when I had them. They breed like bunnies . No males in the tank? They most have been already carrying eggs. Glad your guppies are doing well.

I won't be adding nothing but the excel daily and flourish weekly in my tank right now. I just found out I don't have hornwort! I bought hornwort but was sent anacharis . I just had it ID on plantgeek. I'm glad I like the looks better and is good for the tank.....

What is the pretty floating cover in the second tank pic in post #8? Is that something that does well in a low light tank with out c02? I'd like some of that in my 10g neon tank. Can that be grown as the only live plant in a tank without the algae problems do you think? I have glow plastic plants in the 10g and I think that floating plant would look nice and the neons would like it.

hey stormyskies
the tank is a 40 gal long
i think its 36 long 18 deep and 15 tall
its pretty cool to scape being 18 deep
i really need to get a update pic up but it is really hard
its really starting to fill in and the blyxa came back which is really cool

that cool plant floating on top of the water is called duckweed
it was maybe 2 floaters i noticed weeks ago,but i guess with the high light it just took off
and now all my tanks have them now ,the day i do water changes on all my tanks some stick to the python or my arm and now it multipys everywhere

i think i have cherry shrimp ill have to check on that
a buddy of mine breeds them and tiger shrimp
i hope i get to have some of those as well i plan on making my 55 acrylic a low light guppy/shrimp pardise with maybe a huge school of cory cats

your neons will appreciate the duckweed