Tim's Web Quiz  
    Tim's Web Puzzles  
  Polls - Freshwater  
  Polls - Saltwater  

Go Back   Tropical Fish Forum . Net > General Aquarium Care > Plants

Plants Questions and comments about freshwater plants

Old ,

Default Re: Suggestions for begginer plants

I also have a "umbrella plant" as petco calls it and a cabomba. These are both new so I don't have much to say about them yet, as far as a few weeks they are doing fine. Wisteria is great though definetly something to consider.
Old ,

That's it I can't take it no more. The next time I go to Petsmart I WILL buy a wisteria. I don't want to be the only one on here that does not have a live plant.

Last edited by moparmutt : at . Reason: spelling
Old ,

Quote:
Originally Posted by moparmutt View Post
That's it I can't take it no more. The next time I go to Petsmart I WILL buy a wisteria. I'm don't want to be the only one on here that does not have a live plant.

I would recomend buying from a private party, a smaller pet store that spends the time keeping its plants and animals healthy, or look online to see what kind of deal you can find (wisteria shouldn't run you more than $4.00 per plant). in the paragraph below you will find my reasoning for trying to purchase plants from an alternative source instead of one of the large 'chain' stores.

The larger chain stores are starting to order their plants in bulk already pre packaged and don't seem to have the large freshwater tanks with an assortment of live plants in them, like they used to.

Dave
Old ,

Ok, I will look at the local fish stores. Most of the local fish places are ruff around here, dead fish, etc. There is only one that is halfway descent. I will check there.
Old ,

I don't mean to contradict anyone, but I have gotten outstanding plants from Petsmart...Even the ones in the plastic tubes with the water gell at the roots looked real healthy....Or may be I am just lucky.

Just like buying fish, I think the trick is to look at things that you buy very closely.

Last edited by Dano : at .
Old ,

Our Petsmart does pretty good, I think. That's where I bought most of my fish. Most of the time, they have a big selection of plants and they're always pretty and green.They always looked healthy to me, but I'm no plant expert.
Old ,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dano View Post
I don't mean to contradict anyone, but I have gotten outstanding plants from Petsmart...Even the ones in the plastic tubes with the water gell at the roots looked real healthy....Or may be I am just lucky.

Just like buying fish, I think the trick is to look at things that you buy very closely.

I can agree with Dano here, my wisterias from the tube and the thing is doing great.

Last edited by Dano : at .
Old ,

Ok, I was just at Petsmart. I picked up a couple of things but....no plants.
Their plants looked bad.
I was talking to the girl that was working there. She said I didn't want these plants because this last shipment from their supplier was awful. She also said it wouldn't be worth putting plants in my 55gal. tank and it would not do much good in a tank that big. And that it was to much of a hassle with messing with lighting and co2. A couple of people walked up so I ended up leaving.
I guess her thoughts are, the few easy plants I put in there wouldn't benefit the tank enough.
The next time I'm over by the other fish store, I will check there.
I didn't mean to hijack the thread. I'm a beginner in plants, so I figured I would just add to it.
Old ,

I don't know much about how much it would benefit the tank, I just enjoy the look of real plants more.
Old ,

I never thought about it til now. Can I have plants with an under gravel filter?