Tim's Web Quiz  
    Tim's Web Puzzles  
  Polls - Freshwater  
  Polls - Saltwater  

Go Back   Tropical Fish Forum . Net > General Aquarium Care > Plants

Plants Questions and comments about freshwater plants

Old ,

Default water wisteria

Water wisteria is an easy plant to grow in the aquarium and I have heard of it being used in outdoor ponds as well.

I have some of this plant in each of my three tanks and have made the following notes.

1: even if the start is almost burried when planted you will end up with a plant you prune often. (I give away large wisteria plants at least once a month; these are pieces that broke off or were cut off the main plants and left to free float).

2: Wisteria will grow as tall as your tank and start to grow along the surface of the water, so don't plant anything behind it you will want to see as you will end up replanting at least one of the plants

3: wisteria whether floating or planted makes a good place for fry to hide (I have quit segregating the guppy fry from the 20 gallon tank)

4: wisteria is good for sucking excess nutrients from the water and keeping the algae levels down (less nutrient to nurish the algae)

All in all this is a good plant for beginners that will do well in all kinds of substrate (I have it in sand and also in gravel) and lighting (the leaf shape is dependent on how much or little light it gets, but even in low light this plant grows enough to where I have to prune at least once a month).

Dave
Old ,

Default Re: water wisteria

Mine isn't doing well lately.
Old ,

If you need or want more, Dan, just let me know and I will send you some.

I started with one small plant purchased at a mom and pop type pet store an hour away from where I live and now have it in all three tanks and am constantly giving starts away. I just planted a start that had been free floating in the 20 gallon tank in the city library's fish tank (ciclid tank that is over 75 gallons, lots of slate aqua scaping and no plants until I got to it, now it has a wisteria in the center of the bottom).

Dave
Old ,

I wonder what the UPS or Fedex rate would be for a news paper wrapped plant in the appropriate shipping package?
Old ,

When I got the Kuhli loaches shipped to me from NY the three day rate was under $20.00. Plants don't need as much water to ship, I would soak some paper towels, then wrap the plants and put in a zip lock bag.

I will not however guarantee the plant to be snail free (I can most certainly guarantee snail eggs and snails on the plants).

Dave
Old ,

The stuff I got from you is starting to root......How is the stuff I sent you doing?
Old ,

It's doing real well Dano.

I took some of the java moss and used a twist tie to attach it to 1/2 of a coconut shell. the rest of the Java moss I put in the bottom of the tank and will split it up in a few days between my other two tanks.

The ambulia is planted and happy.

between the two plants you sent me and the ones already in the tank we have killed the little bit of black beard algae I was fighting (with water changes and changing the duration of lighting).

Dave
Old ,

Once the Ambulia gets going, you are going to hate me....You would not believe how much I have to toss.
Old ,

It sounds like wisteria is an easy plant to have. Next time I'm in Petsmart I might get one and try it. I always heard live plants are hard to keep alive. My Mom never did like live plants but that was years ago.
Old ,

The Wisteria plant sounds really great, but i don't know if i have the time for it's maintenance. I have a similar plant that grows a lot and sheds a lot of it's leaves. It's probably a fern but I'm not sure just yet. Anyways i looked it up online and found what it looks like, and indeed it looks very nice.
"Speak your mind, even if your voice shakes."
-Maggie Kuhn