Forums  
  Discussion  
    Tim's Web Quiz  
    Tim's Web Puzzles  
  Polls - Freshwater  
  Polls - Saltwater  

Go Back   Tropical Fish Forum . Net > General Aquarium Care > Disease

Disease Questions and comments about fish diseases.

Old ,

Default Pleco and platy ill please help!

I have a well established 20 gallon tank no changes to the tank in the last month all water levles are fine ph 8 amonia 0.1 Nitrite 0 Nitrate 75. I have one platy that looks fine is eating etc but is breathing very heavy very quiet and hanging in corners this has been going on for 2 weeks now i also have noticed in the last 2 days my other platy is developing the same symptoms. Today my pleco seems to be breathing heavy other fish in the tank are 5 black phantom tetra and 6 cardinal tetra. Please help me as im going out of mind trying to figure out whats wrong. Also i cant see no marks cuts whitespots or nothing on any of the fish and there gills look fine. Have also treated with anti internal bacteria but this has not helped please advise me as i dont want to loose any fish thank you.
Old ,

Default Re: Pleco and platy ill please help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADAMeh View Post
I have a well established 20 gallon tank no changes to the tank in the last month all water levles are fine ph 8 amonia 0.1 Nitrite 0 Nitrate 75. I have one platy that looks fine is eating etc but is breathing very heavy very quiet and hanging in corners this has been going on for 2 weeks now i also have noticed in the last 2 days my other platy is developing the same symptoms. Today my pleco seems to be breathing heavy other fish in the tank are 5 black phantom tetra and 6 cardinal tetra. Please help me as im going out of mind trying to figure out whats wrong. Also i cant see no marks cuts whitespots or nothing on any of the fish and there gills look fine. Have also treated with anti internal bacteria but this has not helped please advise me as i dont want to loose any fish thank you.

Highlighted in red is a definate problem.. According to the test kit (wardley's liquid test kit) nitrate over 60 parts per milion is a danger zone and will cause problems for your fish. Many of the books and Web resources claim that over 40 ppm (parts per milion) of nitrate is too high; I agree with the later that anything over 40 ppm needs to be adressed. What are the nitrates of the water you use to refil/do water changes with?

I highlighted what I percieve as a potential problem in blue (as yellow is hard to read). Your ph seems high to me, but I am currently at work and don't have the reference handy... Dano may be able to give a better answer on your ph levels.

What is your water temperature?

you can do partial water changes every other day to help get the nitrate down (10 to 15% or two to three gallons each change).

Dave
Old ,

I agree with Dave on the water changes....The changes will also reduce the .1 ammonia..........Long term nitrate exposure does affect the general health of fish and should be tested at least once a month....

Stop all medicating!!....Never medicate until you can clearly identify a disease.....Good water quality is the best thing you can do for fish.....Also remember that any ammonia reading is undesirable.
Old ,

hello thanks so far for the help have measured my tap water and the nitrate level in that measures 50 and the ph of the tapwater is8.0 also my temp is 79f thank you hope this helps you an have done a 15% water change today but no change!!
Old ,

Wow! That is a high nitrate level from the tap water.....You may have to use bottled distilled water or RODI water to dilute the nitrates in your tank....Hopefully you won't have to do it many times.....
Old ,

do you think that is the problem them the nitrate level? i have brought some nitra zorb today to put in my filter will that help?
Old ,

I have heard that it lowers the nitrate....Keep an eye on the fish and keep us posted.
Old ,

also sorry forgot to mention the fins on my platy have gone red but they look fin no rot etc
Old ,

here are some pics oy my platy can you help please
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Copy of Picture 007.jpg
Views:	350
Size:	324.3 KB
ID:	2073  Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 00.JPG
Views:	345
Size:	35.4 KB
ID:	2074  
Old ,

The pics don't show anything wrong with the Platy.