Forums  
  Discussion  
    Tim's Web Quiz  
    Tim's Web Puzzles  
  Polls - Freshwater  
  Polls - Saltwater  

Go Back   Tropical Fish Forum . Net > General Aquarium Care > Disease

Disease Questions and comments about fish diseases.

Old ,

Default Red vent...

I have my cold water fish in a 40 litre aquarium in the living room. The largest goldfish (4") which, incidentally, has turned completely 'white' since I acquired 'him' 3 years ago, has recently developed a red vent area and, of course, I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on what it could be ?
Your help would be greatly appreciated.
Col

Last edited by Colin Bevan : at .
Old ,

Default Re: Red vent...

Any advice anyone.....PLEASE
Old ,

It could be an inflammation....Have you checked the ph and ammonia levels?...If you aren't doing periodic water changes, you need to start now.....
How many Gold Fish are in your tank?....The tank you have is actually too small for more than two very small Gold Fish.
Old ,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dano View Post
It could be an inflammation....Have you checked the ph and ammonia levels?...If you aren't doing periodic water changes, you need to start now.....
How many Gold Fish are in your tank?....The tank you have is actually too small for more than two very small Gold Fish.
Hi Dano, there are 4 fish in the tank, the one with the problem being the largest. The water is changed at 3 weekly intervals and I add a product called 'King British Safeguard'. It removes chlorine and excess ammonia.
Thanks for replying,
Col.
Old ,

The King British Safe Guard, like all other water conditioners does not remove ammonia....The ammonia (NH3) is converted to a less toxic form (NH4).
4 Gold Fish in a small tank is big bio load....Gold Fish are prolific waste producers and your once every three week water change is not sufficient...I am willing to bet you have a high total ammonia level and nitrate level....This constitutes to poor water quality and fish that are prone to disease.
You need to do 20% water changes once a week....I hope you have some sort of filter.
Old ,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dano View Post
The King British Safe Guard, like all other water conditioners does not remove ammonia....The ammonia (NH3) is converted to a less toxic form (NH4).
4 Gold Fish in a small tank is big bio load....Gold Fish are prolific waste producers and your once every three week water change is not sufficient...I am willing to bet you have a high total ammonia level and nitrate level....This constitutes to poor water quality and fish that are prone to disease.
You need to do 20% water changes once a week....I hope you have some sort of filter.
Thanks for the info. I do have a filter. How do I test for ammonia and nitrate levels ?
Please excuse my ignorance, if we were talking 'birds', I would have much greater knowledge of what to do should something go wrong, but fish are a much greater mystery to me. However, I am VERY willing to learn.
Thanks again,
Col.
Old ,

There are two ways to test for ammonia and nitrate (and other) levels.

1. test strips (quick results, not as accurate as liquid test kits)

2. liquid test kits (these test ph, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate...some even test for more)

You can purchase these at your local pet store, and sometimes you can get the strips at the pet section of your local department store (i.e. Wal-Mart)

I prefer to use the liquid test kits. Make sure that your test kit is not over two years old as the chemicals used to test the water can expire and give false results.

Dave
Old ,

Aaaarrgh!! on the useless test strips..They test the moisture on your fingers better than they do tank water.
Old ,

Ok so a liquid test kit it is then.
I'll let you know how it goes, your assistance is very much appreciated.
Col.