Forums  
  Discussion  
    Tim's Web Quiz  
    Tim's Web Puzzles  
  Polls - Freshwater  
  Polls - Saltwater  

Go Back   Tropical Fish Forum . Net > General Aquarium Care > Disease

Disease Questions and comments about fish diseases.

Old ,

Unhappy Betta Fin Rot?

I've had my Betta for about a month,
Been doing 25-35% weekly water changes
I feed him about 3-4 pellets a day.

Yesterday I noticed a whole chunk of his precious fin gone! I look around to see if I could find it and it is no where to be found. Is this fin rot?

I believe its his pectoral fin...

Please let me know!
What would be the best way to treat this type of fin rot?
Old ,

Default Re: Betta Fin Rot?

I'm so sorry to hear about your betta's fins

In the past I've used Maracyn, Maracyn-2, and tetracylcine; i found that the tetracycline worked the fastest and the best. Triple sulfa also works. Your LFS should have these meds or you can order them off the internet.

I hope he gets well soon! Please keep us posted
10 gallon assort guppies & platy
3 - 3 gallons 1 betta each
1 - 75 gallon - 2 raphael catfish, 1 melanistus cory, 5 trilineatus, 3 kuhlis, 10 diamond tetras, 5 albino danios, 7 panda cory

Last edited by Greensleeves : at .
Old ,

Thanks for replying, I think I'll head out tomorrow after I get out of class and get some tetracylcline. Would a place like Petco or Petsmart have it? Also, should I turn the heater up at all? Should I continue with the 25% water changes weekly, or should I increase the amount of water I change?
Old ,

With the finnage type that your Betta has, it is hard to detect bacterial damage to the fins...They can break or tear the long streamers fairly easy....You should see a redish edge or a greyish edge to the damaged area....The grey would indicate a possible bacterial infection.....Fungus infections will have a cotton wool appearance.....I would not medicate unless I was sure of disease......Keep up the water changes and keep the temp steady above 76*F...80*F is actually preferable....Be sure to use a good water conditioner like Prime when doing the water changes.

Last edited by Dano : at .
Old ,

I keep the temperature anywhere from 78-80 degrees. I don't think I see any cotton wool-like appearance on his fins. I'm going to go out and get a liquid test kit for pH, ammonia, nitrate and nitrite instead of using the test strips so I can get a more accurate reading.

Right now I'm using TetraAqua: AquaSafe as the type of water conditioner, is this kind alright? Is it possible to put too much water condition into the water?

Edit: I bought some silk plants since I dont see any white bacteria at the end of his fins. While changing the plants out, I saw some gray talk-like looking pieces and I think the plants may have be chopping his fins off! I hope this works.

Last edited by dairtudreem : at .
Old ,

apparently my information is not needed, apologies for intruding.
10 gallon assort guppies & platy
3 - 3 gallons 1 betta each
1 - 75 gallon - 2 raphael catfish, 1 melanistus cory, 5 trilineatus, 3 kuhlis, 10 diamond tetras, 5 albino danios, 7 panda cory
Old ,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greensleeves View Post
apparently my information is not needed, apologies for intruding.

I'd be happy with any information given. I just want to make sure I'm doing the right thing for my betta.
Old ,

I think my problem was that I wasnt putting enough water conditioner into the new water when I did water changes. I had very high nitrate and nitrite levels, so I think that may have had some effect on my Betta's pretty fins . But now I am starting to see regrowth, so everything should be good now!