Forums  
  Discussion  
    Tim's Web Quiz  
    Tim's Web Puzzles  
  Polls - Freshwater  
  Polls - Saltwater  

Go Back   Tropical Fish Forum . Net > Saltwater Tropical Fish Discussion > Beginner Saltwater

Beginner Saltwater Questions and comments for the new saltwater aquarist.

Old ,

Default whats the difference

could somebody please tell me what is the difference between a reef and saltwater tank? I thought coral could be used in saltwater tanks. also what would i need to start up a salt water tank? sorry if this post sounds silly, thanx.

eddie
Old ,

Default Re: whats the difference

A saltwater tank is a general term for all marine tanks. A reef tank is a saltwater tank devoted to keeping reef associated organisms such as living corals and reef friendly fish and invertebrates. It is a more demanding field of endeavour than fish only tanks. If you are interested in saltwater, I recommend that you research everything you can on saltwater fish keeping and the equipment needed before doing anything else. There is information on the top bar of the forum page marked "saltwater" that is a good place to begin.
Old ,

i am realy interested in keeping marine fish but unfortunately im affraid my tank is to small. i currently have a 40l tank and i dont think i would be able to use this for salt water although i was only thinking of having a few fish maybe 5. also with this tank would it be possible to grow plants and have live coral if i chose to in the future?

at the moment my tank looks a bit bare and im a begginer and a bit overwhelmed.
Old ,

The smaller tanks are referred to as nano tanks in the saltwater arena. Small tanks can be successfully kept if you are willing to follow strict guidelines. Read thru the posts in the "Beginner Saltwater" section of this Saltwater forum. There is some discussion there that you might find interesting.
Old ,

if i were to go for a saltwater tnak do you have any suggestions as to how many fish i should have in my 40L or wether i should upgrade to the 63L( is it worth it for such a small amount of extra space?).

also could you suggest any good books for a beginner to use as reference material?

This seems to tick a few of the boxes http://www.amazon.co.uk/Your-First-M...2981613&sr=1-1

thanx alot for all your help.
Old ,

A 40l or ten gallon will hold two or three small fish and an invertebrate. I have never used a book on marine aquariums. I got most of my data from the Internet. Type in key words like beginner salt water on Google and read the many articles and the info that Tim has on the main home page. Try typing in marine nano tanks.

Please don't think that I am putting you off by telling you to use the Internet. I could type out long descriptions and instructions, but a lot of people smarter than I have placed many good articles on the net that are more informative than I could ever be. After you have a reasonable idea how marine tanks work, you can come here and one of us can answer specific questions.

Last edited by Dano : at .
Old ,
ferret

in my 39 litre saltwater tank I have 2 clown, a puffa, an angel and a star fish. The filter that is attached is not good enough to keep corals happy but the morphs are doin great. there's also 3 hermit crabs and 2 snails but they are the clenup crew

for the 1st salty tank 3 fish will be a good number. after you learn what all the changes in the tank mean like the colour of the algea. some are good and some are bad. most grow to 1 main condition. Salinity is another big one. After you have mastered all that you might be able to get another 1 or 2 fish but thats it.

I personally am waiting for some cash to appear so I can set up a 3 footer as a marine tank. Bigger is sooooo much easier but sooo much more expensive.

short version, go with 3
Old ,

Since we are basically talking about starting a tank I moved the thread to the beginners sub forum. I hope no one minds.

Dano