Forums  
  Discussion  
    Tim's Web Quiz  
    Tim's Web Puzzles  
  Polls - Freshwater  
  Polls - Saltwater  

Go Back   Tropical Fish Forum . Net > Saltwater Tropical Fish Discussion > Beginner Saltwater

Beginner Saltwater Questions and comments for the new saltwater aquarist.

Old ,

Default help with first set up

so in about a month my fugu puffer (Takifugu Ocellatus) will be needing to ge in jsut about full marine, and im gitting ready starting this week. so far i need a chiller, a skimmer, (and i hear talk of an octopus skimmer being a good idea.) i have a sump set up already, and all in all i have 85 gallons of water to the tank. also i believe i should probably get new lighting but, mh bulbs are not in my budget even if i sell of non vital organs. is it ok to get some t5? if so how much do i need for my 55 long. other then that i guess my other question is would i need a refungum (sp) for this puffer? im excited to start salt and hope it goes well thanks in advanced!
Old ,

Default Re: help with first set up

First you need to read up on general marine aquarium keeping. Tim has added a Saltwater topic at the top of the forum page with covers a lot of info.http://saltwater.tropicalfishandaquariums.com/ What kind of substrate do you have? Do you have saltwater test kits and a hydrometer of some type? If you eventually intend to keep corals you will need special lighting, if not, the T5s will work fine. (2 to 4 watts per gal) Why do you need a chiller? I don't know what an "octopus skimmer" is, but a simple easy to adjust skimmer is very good and should be sump mounted for best results. I never used "refugiums". I think they are a matter of personal opinion as to their need.
Please read all of this and keep us posted.
Old ,

i have crushed coral at the moment but under recent knowledge im considering switching over to Aragonite i need the chiller because the fugu puffer has very limited and brief records of being kept alive for more then a few months but some one i talk to in another forum has kept hers a year at 65 degrees full salt and im thinking t5 will probaly work because the simple fact that very few large puffers are reef friendly any sugestions on the skimmer waht brands to look for what to avoid i hear bad things of the seaclone ... im kinda over my head at the moment i just know some basics and that fact it has to be done and yes i have a complete marine test kit and a hydrometer ( the hydrometer for my brackish tanks and the test kit because they where on sale when i grabbed the fugu andi knew i would need them also is there a big difference between instantocean and reef crystals?
Old ,

I often used a good brand of crushed coral or live fiji sand. I think this is just a matter of personal taste.
I successfully used Seaclone 100s, Aqua Remora, Sealife Systems, ect. If they are set up and used properly with having to make adjustments in mind, they all will do their jobs.
I have never used anything but Instant Ocean or local natural seawater. I would assume the various brands would have to be very near the same to work.
T5 lighting should be fine if you are not going to go "Reef".
All saltwater puffers will eat from the "reef". Soft corals, polyps, zoos, are all on the menu. They use those chisel teeth to demolish every thing much like the triggers.

Get real familiar with cycling, because water quality is the most important factor in keeping any marine organism.

Last edited by Dano : at .
Old ,

and you cycle with the live rock right?
and what kind of skimmer do you use?
Old ,

I no longer have any marine aquariums, but the various skimmers I have used are listed in the previous post. I guess that the Aqua Remora and the Sea life Systems skimmers were my favored. I used L/R at the beginning of the tank cycle because of the vast surface area provided for the beneficial bacterias to grow on. I did not use any rock that had desirable growth on it because I did not want the high ammonia to kill it. I added the organisms that I wanted to the tank when it was cycled. Some critters will survive on the rock anyway and you will get surprises occasionally.
Old ,

yeah the one qoute i hear when my lfs sells live rock in my presence is dont be surprised with what might crawl/ grow out of the rock
Old ,

thanks for the help im sure ill have more questions but i think i have enough of a handle on things for now
Old ,

so im excited after todays water change im about 3-4 weeks away from being able to keep live rock alive in the tank ( then im switching over to the sump as well)) i have a stock pile of salt i have my suymp all set up and ready to go already and my puffer is doing great sense puffers have been known to be murders of any kind of coral you can think of and my puffer needs cooler water then suggested for most corals i probably wont be experementing with such so i have gotten a t5 set up for my tank and will pick up the skimmer next paycheck .. then a camera so i can so you guys but for now heres a picture of my sharkbait
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	untitled2.JPG
Views:	313
Size:	41.6 KB
ID:	1743  Click image for larger version

Name:	fish.jpg
Views:	321
Size:	19.1 KB
ID:	1767  
1 Takifugu ocellatus : shark bait
1 : Apteronotus albifrons
1 : Stigmatogobius sadanundio
2 : Brachygobius xanthozona
3 : Epalzeorhynchus frenatus.
1 6 inch: Macrognathus siamensis
4 : Pantodon buchholzi
6 : Xiphophorus helleri

Last edited by Administrator : at .
Old ,

This tank is going to be brackish or full salt? Is the Fugu going to be the only occupant? I'm still not sure why you want to convert the Fugu to pure saltwater if it is doing well in fresh. What is the specific gravity of the water in the tank now? It should be 1.020 to 1.025 for general marine fish. The water should be at fish keeping levels and the sump running all during the cycling process. If you have any rock at all, it should also be in the tank during cycling. What method are you using to cycle the tank? If the tank is going to be brackish, a skimmer won't function in low salinity.

I hope that you do know that handling the Fugu is a potentially lethal hazard.

Last edited by Dano : at .