Forums  
  Discussion  
    Tim's Web Quiz  
    Tim's Web Puzzles  
  Polls - Freshwater  
  Polls - Saltwater  

Go Back   Tropical Fish Forum . Net > Saltwater Tropical Fish Discussion > Snorkeling, Scuba and Public Aquariums

Snorkeling, Scuba and Public Aquariums Share your experiences from snorkeling, scuba and visits to public aquariums.

Old ,

Default Trip to the Caribbean

In February of 2007, I made a trip to the Bahamas, St Thomas and St Martin. Highlights of the trip were the gigantic saltwater indoor/outdoor aquarium at the Atlantis in Nassau, as well as snorkeling at the St Thomas mangrove lagoon and Pinel Island on the French side of St Martin.

Last edited by Tim : at .
Old ,
Super Moderator

Default Re: Trip to the Caribbean

Absolutely beautiful!!!!!!! Tim Thankyou for sharing them. I would find it hard to come home after being there!

May I ask a ? Why are saltwater fish usually more colourful than freshwater fish - does it have to do with the makeup of the water or blending in with their surroundings etc.?

Last edited by Bernie : at .
Old ,

Saltwater fish are generally more colorful, although some African cichlids give good competition. Check out the main saltwater galleries for an overview of the bright colors.

Below are landscapes on the 3 islands I visited. The first is the Atlantis hotel at Nassau in the Bahamas where they have the great views of saltwater fish from inside the hotel looking out. I was previously unaware how famous this hotel is. The Bridge Suite between the two sections goes for $25,000 per day and has had guests such as Michael Jordan stay there.

The second shot is the harbor at Charlotte Amalie of St Thomas in the US Virgin Islands, taken from the balcony of our cruise ship. I went snorkeling on this island which is how I came by the photos from Virgin Island Ecotours. Temperatures were 85 - 90F.

The third shot is Pinel Island off St Martin (or St Maarten). I also went snorkeling there but unfortunately don't have any photos of the fish. I had a blast feeding Sargent Majors and Tangs by hand there. Perhaps it's time for an underwater camera.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Atlantis.jpg
Views:	448
Size:	33.2 KB
ID:	272  Click image for larger version

Name:	StThomas.jpg
Views:	442
Size:	29.4 KB
ID:	273  Click image for larger version

Name:	Pinel.jpg
Views:	439
Size:	32.3 KB
ID:	274  

Old ,

Thought I'd take a moment to fill you in on the two snorkeling trips I took in St. Thomas and St Maarten.

My first ever snorkeling experience was in St Thomas at the mangrove lagoon. The tour was run by Virgin Islands Ecotours and they have supplied me all the photos shown in my St Thomas album. You can check out their website at www.viecotours.com The tour starts with kayaking through the lagoon, a hike out to the open sea and then snorkeling in the protected lagoon. Heading out into the water and coming across the great variety of fish was a blast. Although we saw large fish including grunts and a humongous filefish, the most fun were the small damsels, butterflies and silver sides near shore. The silver sides were my favorite part ? thousands and thousands of small silver slices engulfing my view completely. They surrounded my arms and face and only moved enough to avoid actual contact with my arms. It?s quite an experience for an aquarium enthusiast, used to having fish hide from you, to find that reef fish fearlessly accept you as just another part of the reef. I was the last one out of the water.

The next day found me snorkeling at Pinel Island off of the French portion of St Maarten. This was a protected cove, but we swam out around the point into the swells. They feed the fish regularly at Pinel Island and the sergeant majors and tangs swam around the snorkelers for food. I fed the sergeants easily but the tangs were more timid and had to be coaxed just like when I feed wild ducks at home. There were lots of other fish like parrots in the deeper water and various damsels in the shallows. There were also small silvery fish like arowana (don?t know the name) with very long noses. The only way to see them was to look straight across the surface of the water or you would miss seeing them. They would be swimming just a few inches from my face. I was the last one out of the water again.

I took a trip to the Caribbean to see the world and escape the Canadian winter. It was an unexpected pleasure to realize how special it is to see tropical fish in their natural setting.
________
Wendie 99

Old ,

you have to be the luckiest person in the world! Iv'e been looking at fish through a glass wall all my life and would love to expeirence that!!!!!

So did you see any sharks? if so how big?
Old ,

Thanks for the comments. I went to the Caribbean to warm up in winter and was blown away by the snorkeling experience. Didn't see any sharks in the wild, but didn't want to either. There were some that were at least 5 feet long at the Atlantis Aquarium in Nassau.

Last edited by Administrator : at .