Tim's Web Quiz  
    Tim's Web Puzzles  
  Polls - Freshwater  
  Polls - Saltwater  

Go Back   Tropical Fish Forum . Net > General Aquarium Care > Feeding

Feeding Questions and comments about feeding fish

Old ,

Default ants

we have an ant prob in our house n i was just wandering if ne fish will eats ants. also what other bugs could u feed them
Old ,

Default Re: ants

I wouldn't feed fish insects from around the house or yard. Many have pesticides or toxins on them and they could make your fish ill. Feeder Crickets and wingless fruit flies are good treats though. You can easilly breed your own mosquito larvae which is a very healthy and natural food for many fish. One time we had an infestation of gnats in own of my house plants. I set out a bucket of water next to the plant and collected the drowned gnats a couple times a day to feed to my small fish.
Old ,

I was wondering if we could feed fish annoying flying bugs. It's getting to be bug season here so my fish should be very happy at dinner time. We have mosquitos and black flys. Thanks for the information.
________
buy herbalaire vaporizer

Last edited by sandygirl : at .
Old ,

As long as you are certain that the bugs haven't been exposed to insecticides they should be ok. My Longfin Black Tetras will jump almost out of the water for moths and flys that fly too close. That is a riot to watch when a fish gets one too big to swallow. The others go ape trying to get their share.
Old ,

Thanks Dano I do not spray for bugs so the bugs aroung here should be fine. I won't give any crawling bugs as I don't no where they have carwled from. It should be fun to watch.
________
Chevrolet Kalos

Last edited by sandygirl : at .
Old ,

Too bad there wasnt some way to get an ant trail to just go directly into the tank It would be a fish smorgasbord for sure!

Old ,

I had always been leery about ants because of the formic acid they emit, however I have read recent articles that endorse the feeding of ants, eggs, and larva. Since I use amdro to control the "fire ants" on my property I won't try them in my tanks. Food for thought!
Old ,
Super Moderator

I'd be too worried that I might poison the fish if I fed them bugs . I'm not sure about the smaller bugs but I found a cockroach swimming around on the surface of the water in one of my tanks a few wks ago and my fish were very frightened, which I could understand because they freak me out too!!...it was a biggggg cockroach.
Old ,

Bernie.............I don't know if you have the "jumping ants" common to Australia near you, but I would think those things would kill fish if not the owner of the fish. Australia seems to have a lot of really dangerous insects.
Old ,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dano View Post
Bernie.............I don't know if you have the "jumping ants" common to Australia near you, but I would think those things would kill fish if not the owner of the fish. Australia seems to have a lot of really dangerous insects.