Tim's Web Puzzles  
  Polls - Freshwater  
  Polls - Saltwater  

Go Back   Tropical Fish Forum . Net > General Aquarium Care > Feeding

Feeding Questions and comments about feeding fish

Old ,

Question Filter during feeding?

Hi guy's,

I usually unplug/shut off my filter's when I feed my fish, and then turn it back on when they're done. I find it's easier for the fish to get it before it gets sucked up by the filter.

I started doing this because I read it in a fish book. Now I've heard that it can mess up the cycle! Is this true?

I would really like to have everyone's opinion on this topic.

Thanks!
Vanessa B.
Old ,
Super Moderator

Default Re: Filter during feeding?

Turning it off just at feeding time for a few minutes is OK i believe, if low setting is still too strong. I think most bacteria require the constant water flow through the media to establish and grow and It's when the filter is continuously turned off/on for hours at a time and the media starts to dry up that the bacteria start to die and interferes with the cycling process.

I was told by a guy who works in an aquarium shop that turning a filter on/off often isn't good for the actual filter pump & may wear it out quicker or damage it but i don't know if this is true or not Vanessa.
Old ,

Post Re: Filter during feeding?

Thanks Bernie,

I have an air pump with airstones and an outside filter on both my 20g and 10g. My 5g has just the filter. Maybe I'l try unplugging the airstone's which is seperate from the filter, and just leave the filter on low during feeding and see what happens.

What do you think?

Vanessa B.
Old ,
Super Moderator

That sounds like a good idea, would stop some of the circulation for sure - sorry i forget how many fish you have in each tank, maybe you don't need the air pumps at all - did you happen to see in the Air Pump forum the "Do you need one" thread i posted? the replies from Gillian & Hippy may be helpfull in that regard Vanessa.
Old ,

I've heard the same thing about how shutting off the filter can damage the cycle and kill beneficial bacteria. Both of my tanks now have filters with adjustable flow rates, so that when I feel I can just turn the flow on low. It's very convenient! I think Bernia is right though, and that a few minutes a day with the filter off isn't that bad, and that problems occur when the filter is off for a few hours, giving media a chance to dry up. I think turning off the airstones during feeding times is your best bet, and you might not even really need them at all.
Old ,

I have also heard its bad to shut off the filter, these are mechanical devices made to run constantly, not start and stop. I have found this to be true with certain brands of filters over others, everytime I have to shut off my filters ( Whispers ) for any reason, they wont start again until I remove all the water and take out the impeller and clean everything out ~ even if I just did maintenece. I turn down both filters and shut off air for a few minutes before feeding, then turn them back on once the fish are done, which doesnt take long. This has saved my filter from becoming clogged as well as saves food from going to waste by giving the fish a chance to eat it instead of getting sucked up into the filter

Old ,

Generally, stopping and starting p/filters shouldn't be a problem unless they are worn and the syphon seals leak or the tank water level is too low. A feeding ring may work for you by keeping the food floating in one place longer. Pellet type food should be put in at the end of the tank farthest from the filter. Bacteria won't die off for a good while if the filter is off.

Supplapagus....If your filters are easy to clog you can get an open cell sponge and cut it to slip over the strainer. This will stop the finer particles, but you will have to remove and rinse it often. This will also help keeping baby fish from being sucked up.

Last edited by Dano : at .
Old ,

Thanks for the tip Dano! Will do

Old ,

Dano ~ I wrapped a piece of rite size filter pad around the intake stem and secured it with a rubberband and then did some gravel cleaning. The cover really helped , it got dirty really fast and then some of the fish were eating the stuff off of it, worked out great. Thanks for the info!

Old ,

I usually unplug my filter when i'm going to sleep, because i can't go to sleep with noise, and i turn it off during feeding time for my fish. I didn't really know if it harmed my filter, but i can't exactly change the process. What do you recommend i do?
"Speak your mind, even if your voice shakes."
-Maggie Kuhn