Forums  
  Discussion  
    Tim's Web Quiz  
    Tim's Web Puzzles  
  Polls - Freshwater  
  Polls - Saltwater  

Go Back   Tropical Fish Forum . Net > General Aquarium Care > Stocking Tank Tips

Stocking Tank Tips Information for stocking your tank.

Old ,

Default My first tank...

The tank I have chosen is an AquaVim grand view series 38 gallon bowfront. http://www.4fishtank.com/gv38bow.htm
Kind of cool because it uses seamless bent-glass technology. No seams around the front corners. I looked at some of the acrylic tanks but they are expensive and I was scared that I'd scratch it.

So my tank is 38 gallons with the following dimensions: 29 1/2"L x 16 1/2"W x 22"H

I have been taking into consideration the types of fish I'd like to stock it with. I would like to stock it with Harloquin Rasboras, Cardinal Tetras, a few corys, and an african dawrf frog. But I suppose I am wondering how many of each fish? I already read the 'sticky' on this subject.
I was thinking the following:
8 Harloquin Rasboras
8 Cardinal Tetras
3 corys
1 african dawrf frog

...... and of course I would not introduce all of these fish at once especially since I am new at this. One school at a time I guess.

I will be heating the tank to 75 degrees F and I plan on using volcanite aquarium gravel because it has a natural look to it. I will also be planting my aquarium so I will post separate questions about that in another section.

So how do my selections for fish look and have I already selected too many? I was also wondering about maybe the addition of three Guppies. But I know guppies like the water a bit harder compared to the other fish I've selected so I'm unsure if they can live in there without complications.

Any comments or advice is greatly appreciated.
Old ,

Default Re: My first tank...

Hi and WELCOME, Anabolism. It looks like you've done your homework, and the selection looks good. I think the ADF may be a problem in the tank, as they have trouble finding food, but everything else looks great! Have you read about doing a fishless cycle? It'll be easier than cycling with fish...
BTW...I've seen those seamless tanks, and they are gorgeous!

5 gal... Robin, (Betta)
5 gal...Pete, (Betta)
5 gal...Scotty(Betta)
10 gal...Female Betta Sororiety
10 gal... Neons, Glolights and Cardinals, 1 Oto
10 gal... Ram Pair
29 gal... Mbuna Tank
29 gal... Krib Pair, Tiger Barbs, Tetras, 2 Otos
55 gal...5 Australian Rainbows, 1 Angel Fish, 1 Blue Gourami, 6 Congo Tetras, 1 Leopard Ctenopoma, 1 Clown Pleco, 1 UpsideDown Catfish,5 Otos, 1 Bronze Cory, 2 Peppered Cories,2 Panda Cories
Old ,

Thanks for the welcome Sharon. Yeah, I've heard african dawrf frogs can have problem finding food. I heard one good tip in feeding them is to use a turkey baster to squirt the food near down them in the tank giving them the opportunity to eat.

When you speak of tank cycling you are referring to the act of conditioning the water in the tank and allowing for a buildup of beneficial bacteria..... correct? I've read about this and it seems that most of the info I've come across says that 3 days or so is enough time to cycle before adding fish.
Old ,

Take a few minutes and read Bernie's sticky at the top of the Water Quality forum. You will find that there is more to it than 3 days. Proper cycling is the most important thing you need to do when starting a tank.http://www.tropicalfishforum.net/showthread.php?t=611

Last edited by Dano : at .
Old ,

My goodness, yes, definitely read Bernie's sticky. No tank can cycle in three days. If you add fish now, you will have to cycle with the fish in, and that means exposing them to harmful toxins, and trying to control those toxins. It is stressful for you and the fish...

5 gal... Robin, (Betta)
5 gal...Pete, (Betta)
5 gal...Scotty(Betta)
10 gal... Ram Pair
29 gal... Mbuna Tank
55 gal...5 Australian Rainbows, 1 Angel Fish, 1 Blue Gourami, 6 Congo Tetras, 1 Leopard Ctenopoma, 1 Clown Pleco, 1 UpsideDown Catfish,5 Otos, 1 Bronze Cory, 2 Peppered Cories,2 Panda Cories
Old ,

Thanks people. Just read it. Very informative. I think I'll opt for fishless cycling and use the ammonia method.

I won't be starting my tank cycle just yet. I want to make sure I've got everthing I need first and have my tank planted and decorated approprately before filling all the way up with water. I probably won't start cycling 'till September sometime. This will give me a chance to get everything situated first.
Old ,

Good for you! Keep us posted!!!

5 gal... Robin, (Betta)
5 gal...Pete, (Betta)
5 gal...Scotty(Betta)
10 gal... Ram Pair
29 gal... Mbuna Tank
Old ,

Yeah, cycle first.
I was/am the one that bought the tank, cleaned it, filled it with water then fish the next day. Lost a couple. It's been two weeks and it's not cycled yet. I'm learning the hard way, I guess.
It seams like cycling takes 3 to 4 weeks. You might want to start the fishless way now so it will be ready next month.
I'm a newbie so don't take what I say to serious. That's just my thoughts.