Forums  
  Discussion  
    Tim's Web Quiz  
    Tim's Web Puzzles  
  Polls - Freshwater  
  Polls - Saltwater  

Go Back   Tropical Fish Forum . Net > General Aquarium Care > Stocking Tank Tips

Stocking Tank Tips Information for stocking your tank.

Old ,

Red face ignorant newbie with a ten gallon tank

This 10 gallon tank has a short but sordid past. The history - sorry it may be long, but I don't know if any of this information may be useful in determining future success.

In September I purchased a ten gallon tank. It was a box set-up, I think by Aqua Fin? Over head light, filter box hangs in back (a 5-10-15?). I think it's just your basic tank-in-a-box arrangement, nothing fancy.

I filled it up with blue gravel my son picked out. Realized it wasn't enough gravel in the tank and then added a bunch of gravel I had saved from a tank from several years ago. The old gravel was a hideous brown and the blue and brown together looked awful, in my opinion. Sooo... we go the the large chain store after letting the tank sit with the filter on for a couple days and picked out a few fish ( have no idea what they were - one was a little sucker fish), a couple snails and an African Dwarf Frog. This didn't go over well, as I'm sure many of you are not surprised to read. The sucker fish was the first to go after just a couple days. The snails died after a couple weeks. The other fish (there were 3 of them, small and silver) died after that. The frog was doing just fine.

Since everything was dead anyway I decided it would be a great time to change out that ugly gravel situation before getting new fish. The new gravel is large - most stones are the size of a small gumball to a nickle size, with the smallest pieces being the size of a lima bean.

With the new gravel I "knew" that the tank would basically have to start over again. To "help it along" I got a couple little cheap goldfish. I realize this was a dumb thing to do now, but I was very ignorant.

After a few weeks the goldfish started nipping at the frog so we took them back to the store and got a couple new fish. Again, I don't know what they were - I think looking at the pics on here they might have been danios. At the same time I bought two live plants and another snail. So at this time we had the 3 little fish, snail, frog, 2 plants. Again, the little fish died, one right away, another a week or so later and then the last one died a couple weeks after that. The snail died. We were back to just the frog and plants. Until one morning I saw a teeny tiny snail on the glass. And another. And another. And another. They were everywhere.

At the petstore the guy said I had a few options to get rid of the snails - tear down the tank and start over (I did not want to do this), use snail poison to kill them (I didn't think all the dead decaying snails would be good for the tank) or get a fish that would eat the snails. He recommeded goldfish. Back to the stinkin' goldfish again!!! So we went home with two goldfish and sure enough, within moments they were chomping down on all the snails. They continued to dine on them for several days. And then I guess they got sick of them because they never ate anymore despite there still being plenty in there and new ones showing up every day!
Once those fish started picking at the frog I sent them back to the store too. I used the snail poison. My froggie started freaking out (the petstore guy said it wouldn't bother the frog) so I scooped him in a jar. It took several days of treating and retreating the water for the snails to finally pass. I changed out about 90% of the water, removing every snail body I saw. It has been about 3 weeks since this mess and I haven't seen anymore snails.

The frog is doing just great. It has been very active, swimming all around. He seems happy.

Yesterday (waiting for my membership to be approved here) I did a lot of reading. I have never tested the water. I sent my husband out to bring home a kit and he came home with a ph tester instead. For what it's worth the ph is 7.6.

Right now the tank is bear. Just the gravel and a small cave/bridge decoration that serves as a grotto for the frog. I purged all the plants during the snail fiasco if fear that they were contaminated.

So. I need to stock the tank. I know my options are limited because of the frog. That's unfortunate, but I have to be loyal to the frog. He has been such a trooper! And my kids love him.
I think my options are further limited because I have that big rock gravel in there. ??? It seems there were a few varieties of fish that like to burrow in the substrate and I guess those fish are not an option for me now.

From what I read yesterday - using the compatibility function from this site too - I had decided to see about adding a betta and some zebra danios. Both are compatible tank mates for the frog, and with each other. But then I read later that the danios wouldn't be happy in a 10 gallon because they need more swimming space than that? Is that true?

I'd also like a couple cherry shrimp.

Despite the infestation that occurred, I really do like snails. Not those teeny nasty brown ones I had abound, but a single larger snail I find interesting. However, they seem to die so quickly. Also, I'd like to have some live plants and I don't want the snail to devour those, so that's why I thought I'd try the shrimp. I've never had shrimp before.

And about that snail infestation - where did it come from? I had assummed they came from the plants I had bought, but the store was adament their plants do not have snails. And I did look in the plant tanks thuroughly and have to admit I didn't see any either. But where on earth could they have come from? The large snails I had in there at the time - an ivory and a gold snail - coudn't have spawned a gazillion brown pond snails, right? I'm worried about this happening again.

Wow. I've written a novel! Sorry about that.

Sooooo, with all the nonsense life story I've given you, would you think my plan for a betta and some zebra danios (like 4?) and a couple shrimp sound okay? Please advise.

Thank you!
Old ,

Default Re: ignorant newbie with a ten gallon tank

I think you would be better off with a betta. Danios like to be in groups of 6 and I think that would be pushing it for your tank.

For a plant I would suggest a hardy one like Java moss or a Java fern.

But before adding the new fish be sure to check your water quality to see if it's safe.

Btw: Do you know what species of frog you have??
10 gallon: Krib fry!!!
8 gallon: 1 Male betta
Neoblaze (Aka Cole )
Old ,

Thank you for your reply.

It's an African Dwarf Frog.
Old ,

I did a little extra researching on African dwarf frogs and your tank seems perfectly suited for it, and it is completely safe to add the betta and a shrimp of your choice.
10 gallon: Krib fry!!!
8 gallon: 1 Male betta
Neoblaze (Aka Cole )
Old ,

Dwarf frogs are so cute They seem to do well with most tropical community fish.

Never send the husband out for your fish supplies, see what happens??!! LOL
You need a test kit to check for ammonia, nitrate, & nitrites in addition to the ph and dont get those test strips, they arent very accurate and can lead you to believe your water quality is good when it might not be. If your water is good, your fish will be healthy and happy and illness/problems will be less likely

In my opinion, I wouldnt put danios in with a betta. Danios are known fin nippers and they will likely go after him because of his long flowing fins. If you are looking for something colorful, some cardinal tetras would be pretty, or harlequine rasboras, which are nice too. If you'd rather have some bottom activity, cories are always a fun addition to the tank as they are quite active and funny to watch . Shrimp dont put very much on the bio load, so you could squeeze a few of them in with your fish and be at capacity , maybe a little bit over. If you are strict with water changes and stay on top of the water quality though, I think you'll be fine. A fully stcoked tank with lots of action

Old ,

Your snail problem and your "hypothesis" are correct. Snails reproduce faster than you think, and can be the most annoying pests. Also, always wash any live plants with water before you put them in your tank, even if it says snail free! I wouldn't recommend getting anymore snails.

Also i think a betta with shrimp and your frog will go well. You don't want to overstock a tank, but you want activity i'm sure. Overstocking happens very often with beginner fish keepers. Cory's, as supple said, are also good bottom dwellers and are very peacful fish. You should get at least 2 for your tank, they really need at least 6 becasue they are schoolers. You will need a more established tank (fuly cycled for at least 3 months, check Bernie's atricle about cycling in the Articles Forums) for cory's i think, it may be otto's i'm not positive.
"Speak your mind, even if your voice shakes."
-Maggie Kuhn
Old ,

Hi mom2three,

Fish keeping lol. I thought when my son used his birthday and christmas money for his first aquarium (2nd hand btw), that it would just be a matter of a tank some fish and some food. But boy was I mistaken. Like you I have had to learn the hard way with him, about keeping fish.

I made lots of mistakes, but am learning all the time. It was because of his tank that I got mine and have now been keeping them seriously since January. It is a very steep learning curve and so much to learn.

I must have asked the most obvious questions, but when you start out and don't know anyone else to ask a question, it can seem quite daunting.
Don't forget to do regular water changes and squeeze the filter sponges in the dirty tank water that you have just emptied and the filter does n't need squeezing and cleaning too thoroughly otherwise you will destroy some of that healthy bacteria that you 've worked so hard to establish. I do remember reading somewhere that shrimp need pristine water conditions so - there you go

Good luck with your new tank set up.
Michelle

Don't forget your regular water changes