Forums  
  Discussion  
    Tim's Web Quiz  
    Tim's Web Puzzles  
  Polls - Freshwater  
  Polls - Saltwater  

Go Back   Tropical Fish Forum . Net > General Aquarium Care > Stocking Tank Tips

Stocking Tank Tips Information for stocking your tank.

Old ,

Default Stocking a 26 Gallon

I have finally purchased my 26 gallon tank and I wanted to post my prospective stocking idea here for evaluation. It's an Aqueon 26g bow front with the following dimensions: 24" X 15" X 21". Below is my initial stock list idea. Input would be greatly appreciated.

1 Elephantnose (Campylomormyrus tamandua)
3 Congo Tetra (Phenacogrammus interruptus)
1 Blue Gularis (Fundulopanchax sjoestedi)
Old ,

Default Re: Stocking a 26 Gallon

First get your tank set up and running........Study up on the nitrogen cycle and get a good plan in mind for the care and maintenance of your fish.

Blue Gularis are magnificent fish that have certain needs. They are primarily a surface fish and amazing jumpers. Look them up on Google..................The Elephant Nose fish are difficult to keep and require special feeding and conditions. They are primarily a nocturnal bottom living fish.... Google them also.......Elephants and Gularis are not for amateurs.......Congo Tetras are beautiful fish and do best in schools of 4 or more.

Research everything and get your tank running good. Then begin adding fish a few at a time................Be patient and don't rush things.

Last edited by Dano : at .
Old ,

Thanks Dano! I appreciate your kind input and encouragement. I assume from your reply that these will indeed be suitable tank companions then which pleases me. I have been doing my homework in regards to the chosen species as well as the general set up and maintenance required for my tank. In fact I now hold a job at a privately owned pet store where I maintain and care for the fish and their tanks. I continue to learn everyday however I feel confident that I can provide a good home for these fishes. Again I am grateful for your comments and feel free to add anything else that has come to mind.
Old ,

"I assume from your reply that these will indeed be suitable tank companions then which pleases me.".........................You mis read me. I did not state that the fish you mentioned would be suitable tank companions. I pointed out that they needed special considerations in keeping them.......................However I will point out that Gularis are predators and will eat what ever fits in their mouths.....................The Elephant Nose will waste away and die if it is not fed right, is harassed by other fish, and or cannot hide completely during the day................The Congos should be ok if kept in groups of 4 or more..............Wether all these fish will be good companions is a guess.

Last edited by Dano : at .
Old ,

I think a 26 gallon would be too small for an elephant nose after a while anyway... they can grow to be around 12 -13 inches long. I considered getting one for my tank but I read that they have a tendency to be rather aggressive if they live that long...
10 gallon assort guppies & platy
3 - 3 gallons 1 betta each
1 - 75 gallon - 2 raphael catfish, 1 melanistus cory, 5 trilineatus, 3 kuhlis, 10 diamond tetras, 5 albino danios, 7 panda cory
Old ,

Sorry, I misunderstand Dano. I am aware that each fish has special needs although I am happy to have your additional advice. I have read on various websites that these would be suitable tank mates so I thought perhaps I could receive a second opinion on this forum which is why I assumed you were agreeing with me.

Greensleeves, I am surprised to hear that they get aggressive with age as I have not read that myself however I do not doubt you. I also have only read, from various sources, that the elephantnose does not exceed 8 inches. Again, I am not saying you are incorrect as there are so many sources that suggest various statistics.

I am not going to rush my decision regardless and this is the precise reason I wanted to post my idea here on the forum.