Forums  
  Discussion  
    Tim's Web Quiz  
    Tim's Web Puzzles  
  Polls - Freshwater  
  Polls - Saltwater  

Go Back   Tropical Fish Forum . Net > General Aquarium Care > Stocking Tank Tips

Stocking Tank Tips Information for stocking your tank.

Old ,

Default 125 Gallon, can I add more

Hi Everyone,

I sold one of my tanks of frontosa and set up my 125 for tropicals. So far I have
3 blue platties
6 mickey mouse platties
6 neon tetras
6 glotetras
6 blackskirt tetras
3 spotted cories
2 plecos
1 glo danio
1 bosemani rainbow
1 red rainbow
3 bolivian rams.

I was wondering if I am over stocked I would like to add a nice school of silver dollars or hatchet fish but read that silver dollars aren't compatible and hatchet fish are jumpers
any suggestions would be appreciated

thanks
Old ,

Default Re: 125 Gallon, can I add more

There are many types of Silver Dollars....Most will get to be 4 inches or better....They eat plants.....They are generally peaceful fish.

Hatchet Fish will stay at the top of the aquarium and will jump so a tight fitting top is advised.

Number wise you are not over stocked, but the size of the fish may dictate that fewer be kept.
Old ,

Thanks, Fewer of what? I don't think I will get silver dollars, Hatchets are intriging. I have a very closed top, just holes for the filtets
Old ,

Quote:
Originally Posted by senorh View Post
Thanks, Fewer of what? I don't think I will get silver dollars, Hatchets are intriging. I have a very closed top, just holes for the filtets

Dano is suggesting that based on the one inch of fish per gallon (and that rule being based on the adult size of fish) that you may want to keep fewer fish if the silver dollars or other fish grow to their full potential. Or that if you notice problems with your tank parameters (ammonia, nitrate, nitrite) that you may need to have less fish when they have grown to their full size. At least that is the way I understand Dano's post (I am sure he will be kind enough to correct me if I have misconstrued his meaning and intent).

Dave
Old ,

Thanks, most will stay pretty small but i know the silver dollars will grow to be pretty big
Old ,

Re read my post.........................It is simple: The bigger the fish the less you should keep.........It is a simple matter of swimming space and the bio system's ability to take care of the greater quantity of waste produced by bigger fish.................I personally believe the inch of fish per gallon thing is very misleading.....It works for fish that stay under 2 inches....Anything over that calls for common sense judgement on swimming space and waste control.

A well maintained tank with a small group of interesting fish is far better than a crowded confused mix of incompatible fish.....To me it is like having the whole local zoo in one cage.
Old ,

Dano thanks, I did read your post and reread your post, I had a colony of frontosa in there. I had 7 and they were fine with my 3 ac 500 filters and a canister filter plus water changes. Since all of the fish do not equal one frontosa, I thought I could add more. The tank is 6 ft long
"There are many types of Silver Dollars....Most will get to be 4 inches or better....They eat plants.....They are generally peaceful fish.
Hatchet Fish will stay at the top of the aquarium and will jump so a tight fitting top is advised.
Number wise you are not over stocked, but the size of the fish may dictate that fewer be kept."

I know you are trying to help but I took your last post as very condesending.
Old ,

Anything you say............

Last edited by Dano : at .