Tim's Web Quiz  
    Tim's Web Puzzles  
  Polls - Freshwater  
  Polls - Saltwater  

Go Back   Tropical Fish Forum . Net > General Aquarium Care > Plants

Plants Questions and comments about freshwater plants

Old ,
Default Some Qs

I have a 30 gal. with some plants in it and was wondering if the plant roots are ok in sand? Alot, of people say yes but I see more planted tanks with small gravel. Also, would I have to use a liquid fertilizer seeing I have sand? I was also researching C02 and other methods for planted tanks and I was wondering how much C02 would be need and if it will effect the fish? As far as my light goes I have to go and get a new one because the one I have is only a 20w and I am hoping I can get the light bulb tonight. Thxs.
Old ,
Default Re: Some Qs

Sand is fine. In fact some plants do better with soil (sand or other soil) to root in. I have a tank with sand substrate and tanks with medium gravel substrate and all three tanks are planted with healthy plants.

As to the liquid fert it isn't a bad idea, but not always neccessary (I used to use fertilizers but have stopped and the plants are doing great). The fish waste and uneaten food will help to fertilize your plants.

I can't really answer the question regarding Co2 as I have never used it.

Old ,

I use sand and gravel mixed....1 1/2 in of sand and 1 to 2 in of med. gravel on top........My plants are fine...I use liquid ferts and Flourish Excel for adding the carbon......If you are going to go high tech with the light and plants you may want to do the co2 thing, but you won't need it just for average plant keeping.
I got off the porch and ran with the big dogs. Now I can't get back on the porch!
Old ,

Also, about the liquid fert, I hear it can cause algea to grow. I have ready looked at the Flourish produces and they seem good. Yet, I can get a cheap C02 system (Hagen CO2 Natural Plant System) for cheap or even make one and in the long end I am sure it will save me money then buying the Flurish Excel. I am planing on going somewhere with the plants so I am sure it wouldn't hurt to get the C02 now even thought I don't have the most safisticated plants but, down the road I hope too. Thxs D. Gary and Dano for the help
Old ,

I just saw that "Hagen CO2 Natural Plant System" yesterday on Petsmart's site. I wonder, how it works?
55 gallon freshwater
That thing got a hemi? You're fixin' to find out!
Old ,

lol, I was thinking about getting it but it is not that sufisticated. You can make a C02 system like it.

Last edited by lil-reddog : at .