Forums  
  Discussion  
    Tim's Web Quiz  
    Tim's Web Puzzles  
  Polls - Freshwater  
  Polls - Saltwater  

Go Back   Tropical Fish Forum . Net > Freshwater Tropical Fish Discussion > Goldfish, Koi and Ponds

Old ,

Default new to goldfish

well,it's been over a week since my good friend Choas "the Oscar" died. i've been pretty depress from it and finally took my girlfriends adive and started up a new tank. He was all alone in a 75 gallon tank for almost have my life.

so i thought, "what should i make the tank in to??" saltwater? tropical? or.....Coldwater!!!!

so thats what im doing. here is a list of what i put in.

1 small pure white fantail named "Yoki"
1 small lionhead named "Leo"
2 small chinese high fin sharks named "Bubbles and Apollo" (my favorites)
1 small longfin calico pleco (very pretty)

now im not a newbie to fish but this is my first coldwater tank.
so i welcome any advise or tips on anything like the best food for them and diseases to look out for,
thank you.

now I need to figure out what to put in 2 empty 55's and a 27 hex tanks
Old ,

Default Re: new to goldfish

Just remember that goldfish can get big and are nasty.....They need lots of room and filtration.....The poop will build up and effect water quality so be ready to do frequent water changes while vacuuming the bottom.

Last edited by Tim : at .
Old ,

we call them fancy cold water fish over here ,u can get some real beuties,Iagree with dano bout the filteration etc,they are more messy, but Ikeep on top of the water changes and recomend a good filter, my hex tank is 20 g, so is quite easy to keep on top of, its at its best at all times,never had any problems housing 3 fantails in ther,at the moment it houses 1 red cap,very large and 1 fantail and 1 rurkin small so as my red cap has grown,only 1 plant in there at the moment.
Old ,

oh sorry i forgot to mention, we had a realy harsh winter hear couple of years ago,the water got realy realy cold, exeptionally cold, so Iput in a very small heater to raise the temp up ever so slightly for a few weeks until the weather improoved again,I did seek expert advice before doin this though,
Old ,

Hope you have the room, because the hi fins can get up to 39 inches long. They also lose their stripe as they get older and aren't as nice looking as the fish you bought when it was little. Personally, these aren't a tank fish and should be in a pond. Here's a good article. http://www.csupomona.edu/~jskoga/Aqu...ocyprinus.html

Norm
Old ,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dano View Post
Just remember that goldfish can get big and are nasty.....They need lots of room and filtration.....The poop will build up and effect water quality so be ready to do frequent water changes while vacuuming the bottom.

yea I know how messy they can get. luckly, to my girlfriends delight I'm a clean freak when it comes to anything in my apartment. so a once a week 20% water change/gravel vacuum is a normal thing for me.

believe me, I cant even sleep if my tanks look dirty. I cant even play Gears of war 2 when there dirty!! and if you know me thats pretty major.

thank goodness for "Python no spill!"
Old ,

pickles, you sound like me, everything has to be prestige and in tip top condition,Ialways have a tank of goldies,to me its just another chore like washing up I ,never give it a second thought,